Sponsored Links

Nightmare With Sky!

DrGravity

Hi All. As the tile says I'm currently in a nightmare situation with Sky and am hoping someone can advise on how to resolve.

Long story begins with my father passing away last week. Not sudden, he'd been ill for sometime but I've been helping my mum and sister sort everything out. The Sky (TV, Internet and phone) was all in his name and he was paying an extorinate amount having been with them years and just left it run after his contract and any deals expired. I spoke to Sky yesterday and explained the situation. They said they could either transfer the contract to my mum or cancel it. The price they quoted was still expensive so we decided to cancel, with the plan to find a new provider or better deal sometime in the next month when we'd had the funeral and sorted stuff out. The Sky colleague actioned this on the phone and only then told us after confirming the cancellation all our services would stop within 24hrs! We had been expecting 30 days notice as normal and it was not explained beforehand that it was different due to the bereavement situation!. I admit I was caught of guard (been going through a lot) and ended the call only to realise that there was no way we could just have our phone and internet disconnected while we were still in the midst of everything!

I immediately called back within a few minutes and spoke to another colleague who understood the situation and supposedly stopped our phone and Internet cancellation until the end of December, giving us some breathing room.

Flash forward to this morning and my sister, who is staying with my mum to support her and working from her house, calls me to tell me the Internet and phone have been switched off. Immediately call Sky who tell me as it's disconnected there is nothing they can do. Asked for a call back from a manager which they agree and nothing. Ring them again, same conversation and same result, still waiting for a call back.

We have a lot going on and to sort out at the moment and don't need this stress. We have the funeral next week and my mum / sister not having phone or Internet is a nightmare, making an already awful situation worse! We need the phone and internet reinstated ASAP due to Sky's mistake but I can't seem to get anywhere. I refuse to believe that given this is their error, they can't speak directly to Openreach / BT and resolve as a priority! It's been 24hours but I'm just hitting a brick wall! Any advice on escalating routes or something I can go back to them to drive a resolve would be massively appreciated.

Unfortunately they will have put the cancellation through to Openreach who would've terminated it as per their request.

It's not going to be very quick to have the internet reinstated as it's going to be a standard line re-activation as though you'd just purchased internet service from Sky or any other provider.

I don't think this is going to be escalated and you may just want to consider buying a 4G router or something on a 30 day deal to have it sorted, or just place an order with Sky or another provider for new service and it'll be activated generally within 7-14 days.

It will save the stress and set your expectations that way.

Firstly, sorry for your loss. Losing a close family member is terrible enough, without having to deal with all the crap that inevitably follows.

But I fear that TTJJ may be correct on this one. The automated process will have begun immediately after that first call ended and Openreach + ISPs aren't always terribly good when asked to act against that.

I'd also point you to the final tip about 'Dealing with Death' on this page, which may help:

Sponsored Links
Cheap BIG ISPs for 100Mbps+
Community Fibre UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
Gift: None
Virgin Media UK ISP Logo
Virgin Media £24.00
132Mbps
Shell Energy UK ISP Logo
Shell Energy £26.99
109Mbps
Plusnet UK ISP Logo
Plusnet £27.99
145Mbps
Zen Internet UK ISP Logo
Zen Internet £28.00 - 35.00
100Mbps
Large Availability | View All
Cheapest ISPs for 100Mbps+
Gigaclear UK ISP Logo
Gigaclear £15.00
150Mbps
YouFibre UK ISP Logo
YouFibre £19.99
150Mbps
Community Fibre UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
BeFibre UK ISP Logo
BeFibre £21.00
150Mbps
Gift: £25 Love2Shop Card
Hey! Broadband UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
Large Availability | View All
Sponsored Links
The Top 15 Category Tags
  1. FTTP (5472)
  2. BT (3505)
  3. Politics (2524)
  4. Openreach (2291)
  5. Business (2251)
  6. Building Digital UK (2234)
  7. FTTC (2041)
  8. Mobile Broadband (1961)
  9. Statistics (1778)
  10. 4G (1654)
  11. Virgin Media (1608)
  12. Ofcom Regulation (1451)
  13. Fibre Optic (1392)
  14. Wireless Internet (1386)
  15. FTTH (1381)
Sponsored

Copyright © 1999 to Present - ISPreview.co.uk - All Rights Reserved - Terms  ,  Privacy and Cookie Policy  ,  Links  ,  Website Rules