Sponsored Links

No FTTP for ages... then three come along at once??

Good spot and great detective work! I do know that BT/Openreach have put splitters in voids under their manholes here, I saw a guy doing splicing a few weeks back and he confirmed it was Openreach (Openreach was also written on the node cover) - looked like one of these type things:

View attachment 2977

So I don't think it was Openreach putting the AFN node on the poles.

Not that it is set in stone but I have noticed that all of the work I've seen done for Digital Infrastructure / BeFibre has been done by a company called Shawton, I've not noticed FKS before.

Intruiging and promising anyway!
Yep. See link in other thread with pics of pole mounted Openreach splitter nodes. Chamber mounted is the same thing.

Openreach do not use HT AFN for final drops. Since they moved to a connectorised drop solution (they did once blow fibre for the final connection) they use only Corning (and CommScope) brand CBTs.

Yep. See link

Openreach do not use HT AFN for final drops. Since they moved to a connectorised drop solution (they did once blow fibre for the final connection) they use only Corning (and CommScope) brand CBTs.
Thanks @Pheasant, good to get confirmation - that link didn't work for me?

Do you think we should assume the AFN is for Digital Infrastructure rather than Virgin? I'm starting to think it must be Digital Infrastructure because there is no more space at the top of the pole now (nor any chance of adding brackets) and D.I are definitely close to going live around here.

Just a bit curious that "VM" is written on the AFN and other AFNs in the area!

Do you think we should assume the AFN is for Digital Infrastructure rather than Virgin? I'm starting to think it must be Digital Infrastructure because there is no more space at the top of the pole now (nor any chance of adding brackets) and D.I are definitely close to going live around here.

Virgin now have more scheduled works outside my street, digging to install new ducts I imagine. Openreach have more scheduled works on my street too.

I've signed up for BeFibre, and their installation is still the vague 'within three months'. Hopefully sooner, but exciting nonetheless.

I've signed up for BeFibre, and their installation is still the vague 'within three months'. Hopefully sooner, but exciting nonetheless.
Great - so is that an "email me more details" thing? I'd be interested in BeFibre too if I didn't want to stay with Aquiss.

Not sure I'd be interested in Virgin Media unless there were no other options :)

Lay in wait. Patiently.

That’s the best advice I can give you - trying to second guess outside plant installs on competing builds isn’t a sure bet. Not by any stretch.

Virgin are getting stuck in now, had a letter in the post today and someone call round last night presumably to get us to sign-up - we couldn't answer the door but found some "sorry we missed you" cards through the door with a phone number and email address on.

Unlucky for BeFibre that they don't seem to be ready to allow people to order yet, imagine that VM might get a slice of the custom that would consider moving away from BT.

Virgin are getting stuck in now, had a letter in the post today and someone call round last night presumably to get us to sign-up - we couldn't answer the door but found some "sorry we missed you" cards through the door with a phone number and email address on.

Unlucky for BeFibre that they don't seem to be ready to allow people to order yet, imagine that VM might get a slice of the custom that would consider moving away from BT.
Yep, BeFibre has been "within the next three months" for the last month now with no visible progress or updates...

If Virgin / Openreach can offer gigabit speeds, I'll happily sign up with either. Do you mind sharing roughly what area the Virgin leaflets were posted? We haven't received any on our street yet, although we might today / this week.

Virgin dug up the street opposite the football ground on Fri / Sat, and have been doing work last night by the shops there.

Openreach have five vans parked on a combination of my street and the street next to mine this morning, with lads up the poles at 8:30am. They were messing with the black boxes that had been placed halfway up the poles (the AFNs I believe).

If Virgin / Openreach can offer gigabit speeds, I'll happily sign up with either. Do you mind sharing roughly what area the Virgin leaflets were posted? We haven't received any on our street yet, although we might today / this week.
This was off the road opposite the primary school. I've also seen VM cars parked on Stamford Park Road and also opposite the funeral directors yesterday. What does https://bidb.uk/ say for your post-code? Mine says:
1660120695010.png

and I am also able to place an order via the VM website (although I haven't tried actually ordering).

Openreach have five vans parked on a combination of my street and the street next to mine this morning, with lads up the poles at 8:30am. They were messing with the black boxes that had been placed halfway up the poles (the AFNs I believe).
That is interesting and a bit curious, I didn't think Openreach would have anything to do with the AFNs!

That is interesting and a bit curious, I didn't think Openreach would have anything to do with the AFNs!
I wonder if they were just shifting them out of the way, cables getting tangled etc.

What does https://bidb.uk/ say for your post-code?
It tells me Openreach is 'planned' and Virgin is 'local'. I wonder if, with Virgin, it's just a street by street thing and I should go live soon.

I wonder if they were just shifting them out of the way, cables getting tangled etc.
Maybe, have you seen anything added to the pole? Can't remember if you had the Openreach CBTs on there yet?

It tells me Openreach is 'planned' and Virgin is 'local'. I wonder if, with Virgin, it's just a street by street thing and I should go live soon.
Hmm, I'm not 100% sure what "local" means on the BIDB, it might imply that it is "live" nearby but not quite at your address? I see Hyperoptic as "local" and if I zoom out I can see the odd "live premesis" in the local area but I can't get it.

Fingers crossed VM will be with you soon!

Maybe, have you seen anything added to the pole? Can't remember if you had the Openreach CBTs on there yet?

Hmm, I'm not 100% sure what "local" means on the BIDB, it might imply that it is "live" nearby but not quite at your address? I see Hyperoptic as "local" and if I zoom out I can see the odd "live premesis" in the local area but I can't get it.

Fingers crossed VM will be with you soon!
Yep, we have the CBTs fitted - yesterday, there were some workers with long yellow duct-looking things outside my driveway, but today I was only passing in my car so didn't get a good look.

Fingers crossed!!

Another update, FKS vans operating on my street today. Unmarked high-vis workers too, and an unmarked van towing a cable reel.

Seems like work is ongoing daily in my immediate area. Will have a look what's changed when I get home tonight.

I'd be happy to but funnily enough the one we got was actually addressed to next-door (postman made a balls-up!) so I only glanced at it before re-posting next-door.

I seem to remember it was mainly bigging up their service and said something along the lines of "coming soon".

I'll update if we get our own copy through :LOL:

I know it's not clear, sorry about that, I have written a post explaining the states on bidb.

Edit, oops I realise the post had a typo about this which I have fixed. But basically "local" = a result that's known to be live within 5km of the lookup property, but may not necessarily include the property itself.

Cheap BIG ISPs for 100Mbps+
Community Fibre UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
Gift: None
Virgin Media UK ISP Logo
Virgin Media £24.00
132Mbps
Shell Energy UK ISP Logo
Shell Energy £26.99
109Mbps
Plusnet UK ISP Logo
Plusnet £27.99
145Mbps
Zen Internet UK ISP Logo
Zen Internet £28.00 - 35.00
100Mbps
Large Availability | View All
Cheapest ISPs for 100Mbps+
Gigaclear UK ISP Logo
Gigaclear £15.00
150Mbps
YouFibre UK ISP Logo
YouFibre £19.99
150Mbps
Community Fibre UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
BeFibre UK ISP Logo
BeFibre £21.00
150Mbps
Gift: £25 Love2Shop Card
Hey! Broadband UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
Large Availability | View All
Sponsored Links
The Top 15 Category Tags
  1. FTTP (5472)
  2. BT (3505)
  3. Politics (2524)
  4. Openreach (2291)
  5. Business (2251)
  6. Building Digital UK (2234)
  7. FTTC (2041)
  8. Mobile Broadband (1961)
  9. Statistics (1778)
  10. 4G (1654)
  11. Virgin Media (1608)
  12. Ofcom Regulation (1451)
  13. Fibre Optic (1392)
  14. Wireless Internet (1386)
  15. FTTH (1381)
Sponsored

Copyright © 1999 to Present - ISPreview.co.uk - All Rights Reserved - Terms  ,  Privacy and Cookie Policy  ,  Links  ,  Website Rules