Sponsored

Not at all happy with fast.co.uk

FabianJ

Casual Member
I've been with fast for just about 2 months now, and I can't say i'm at all happy with the service. I'm paying their higher prices in part because of their support, which in fairness is good, but mostly because of the claim they throw around a lot:

"Fast download and upload speeds at all times with no speed drops, even during the evening and at weekends."

I did ask about that when placing my order with them and was told "We rent high priority lines so the speed drops you can get at times of high usage won't affect you." or something like that.

After a few weeks the connection speed was constantly dropping from 7Mbps to 1Mbps or lower for days at a time (Currently waiting for BBC iPlayer to buffer, 600Kbps today... even my mobile phone plugged into my PC provides me with a faster connection!). After a few weeks I called fast about it and after running a few more speed tests for them I was told the following:

Your local exchange is over capacity frequently.
Openreach will have to upgrade the equipment to add more capacity.
BUT, they won't because of the 24Mbps upgrade we're getting here IN A YEAR.
You will have to wait, we won't do anything to help.

So fast's official response to "I'm getting speed drops even though you claim your service is not affected by them." is "Not our problem, wait a year."

I will be moving back to some generic entanet reseller ISP next month. I'll get the same speed drops there i'm sure, but at least they don't make promises they can't keep.

fast

ISP Rep
Hi Fabian,

Have you spoken to us since your call in August, as I can't see any further notes or e-mails from you about the speed problem you are having?

We ensure that customers will never see a speed drop due to our network - this promise was made because some providers were deliberately reducing speeds at busy periods - we don't, and never will do that - we'll also do everything we can to help if they have a problem that is caused by anything else.

We would never say it wasn't our problem, or that we'd do nothing to help - if that is the impression you've got then I am very sorry, and would like to reassure you that we'll do everything possible to help with a speed problem.

We advised that we are seeing cases where a 21CN upgrade is planned, causing big delays, or never any improvement on 20CN VP issues. However that is, as always, just us passing on what we've learnt, and we asked you to provide us with some specific data to raise the fault with BT.

We'll always work tirelessly, as many of our customers who are on these forums will confirm, until a problem is fixed. What you have posted above is NOT an official response from us.

I hope you will contact me (drop an e-mail in for my attention) as I am very keen to understand what makes you believe we won't help you, and claim it isn't our problem to help with the issue.

I'm very prepared, as we always are, to work with you and resolve any problems you are having, but from what I can see we've not heard back from you since August. If I am mistaken with that, then I of course apologise.

I hope you'll get in touch, and let me look at this case specifically so that I can prove to you that we do care, and want to help.

Mark

Last edited:

FabianJ

Casual Member
I did call again at least once since my first call in August and was again told that BT need to fix the exchange. Fair enough, everyone including their own staff knows that BT and Openreach deserve a trophy for worst company in the country in all areas from support to service but i'm sure you understand just how annoying it is to be thrown around from company to company and none ever seem to deliver.

From my point of view it makes no difference who's responsible for what part of the service, my connection is arse slow and there's nothing I can do about it myself, I just want someone to fix it!

I've been running the BT Speed Test over the past few weeks and the results are getting worse:

Your DSL Connection Rate :8128 Kbps(DOWN-STREAM), 448 Kbps(UP-STREAM)
IP Profile for your line is - 7150 Kbps

About 4 weeks ago:

Download Speed
853 Kbps

Download Speed
2615 Kbps

Download Speed
1074 Kbps

About 1 week ago:

Download Speed
450 Kbps

Today:

Download Speed
195 Kbps

Surely if the connection rate and ip profile are both around 8Mbps I should be given that speed.
Ok so the 1-3Mbps a while ago wasn't great but at least it sort of worked, but now i've been on under 200Kbps for a few days and if I dare have more than one tab open at a time everything starts timing out!

fast

ISP Rep
Hi,

Yes, I can see you called in on the 3rd October 2009 (last Saturday), a week after your first post here and spoke to a colleague about your speed problem again.

You discussed again on this call the reason you see speed drops at very specific time of the year (infact I believe you helped work out who was causing that), and knew what BT were doing about it in terms of their ETA for trying to fix the issue.

The call seemed to end with you understanding that, being aware of what we were doing to help, and knowing that BT were working on the issue.

If you are still unhappy then you need to tell us, as the comments here are very different to those made by phone, so I trust you'll get back in touch urgently? We're open today, so perhaps we can now move this forward promptly.

Mark

FabianJ

Casual Member
It's a lot easier to be pissed and vent in writing than directly at a guy on the phone who's just trying to do his job (And do it well too, I have no complaints about your customer support... you're even responding on the forums quickly.)

I did call before that call as well, and had pretty much the same conversation. I see how it's BTs problem, yes. But that was me getting around 2Mbps, i've been back in the dialup-age for the past week with under 200Kbps. My line profile says 7Mbps, the connection to the exchange is 8Mbps...

I need a good reason to continue spending £30 on this when my phone can give me 2Mbps included in my contract at no extra cost.

fast

ISP Rep
I can understand that, but it does give us the wrong impression of how you feel!

I'd be very interested to look at this further - could you e-mail over some of those recent BT speedtests (in full), including your phone number so I know it's you to support [at] fast.co.uk - mark it for my attention - and I can assist you with it further.

Drop in that e-mail and we'll get this moving forward :)

Mark

LeeH

ISP Rep
Sounds like a VP regrade has gone wrong

fast

ISP Rep
Agreed Lee - it was due to happen on the 1st October, so hopefully the poster will get in touch with the details I've posted above so that we can take this further :)

Kits

Super Moderator
Staff member
ISPreview Team
There seems to be a problem with BT, equipment or they just run out of bandwidth but friends with different ISPs around me are in same boat if they sync over 7MB they are only getting 2MB throughput. These are people who haven't changed ISPs recently and were happily getting over 7MB throughput until recently. Bet no one can get BT to admit they messed up again..

Radeon

Casual Member
Hi Fabian,

Ive had a similair problem with fast. originally the internet was very fast, but as time went on our speeds reduced, we contacted there customer support and advised us to conduct some speedtests, so they could see the situation. They then advised us to wait for the 21CN upgrade which may fix the problem, as this was not the case they offered us the chance to move to one of there private companys which would talk to different "nodes", at first this worked but now it seems the problem has come back. I have now contacted customer support in which they have advised to do more speedtests as this is what bt needs. I have sent them my results.

This is seems this has something to do with bt.

Last edited:

fast

ISP Rep
Hi,

Look forward to continuing to work with you regarding your speed issue - you know where I am, and can always reach me by phone if you want a chat about it :)

Mark

Last edited:

rollinstone

ULTIMATE Member
I feel I must lend my support to Fabian and Radeon. I too was a customer of Fast.co.uk and went through exactly the same experience as you. But I don't recall ever getting good speeds. As usual Mark was very good in trying to help out. Lots of explanations as to what was wrong were always forthcoming. BT even paid a visit and gave a clean bill of health. I persevered for a while then it was agreed I could move on.
Most of the stuff that was told to be at fault proved to be false. I moved to new provider and rarely have had a problem. Speeds are very good and are stable. There never was any work done by new ISP. This was about 8 months ago. :)

fast

ISP Rep
Hi,

Radeon has already been moved to another ISP by us (a partner we use when a customer wants a second "backup" line that is supported by us, but doesn't rely on our infrastructure at all) and is still having the same problem as before with speeds.

There are 100's of types of speed faults out there, some are fixed by moving ISP, others need BT to do stuff, in your case I'm very pleased you're all fixed - think I remember your case :)

Mark

ManOfMeans

ULTIMATE Member
I feel I must lend my support to Fabian and Radeon. I too was a customer of Fast.co.uk and went through exactly the same experience as you. But I don't recall ever getting good speeds. As usual Mark was very good in trying to help out. Lots of explanations as to what was wrong were always forthcoming. BT even paid a visit and gave a clean bill of health. I persevered for a while then it was agreed I could move on.
Most of the stuff that was told to be at fault proved to be false. I moved to new provider and rarely have had a problem. Speeds are very good and are stable. There never was any work done by new ISP. This was about 8 months ago. :)

It depends on who the provider is if it is BTwholesale based then moving to the new ISP could of put you on different tunnels through colossus IP cloud or are you on a LLU based ISP?

FabianJ

Casual Member
Hey again, sorry for the radio silence from my end. Currently covered with so much work it's not even funny anymore...

I have spent several more hours on the phone with BT and got pretty much nothing out of them, openreach DID talk to me after I wouldnt stop calling. They say the 1st October date set for upgrading the capacity didn't go ahead after all and won't happen at all until they do the 21CN upgrade in June 2010 (I thought it was 31 March 2010...)

I've got the results for tests i've run for the past few weeks, and since BT think these are acceptable I never get past Test 1. The 450-195Kbps tests were a few days apart and the speed never improved in that time, not even at 4am when nobody would be online. I'll send a copy and my phone number by email as well...

Test1 comprises of Best Effort Test: -provides background information.

Download Speed
853 Kbps

0 Kbps 7150 Kbps
Max Achievable Speed

Download speedachieved during the test was - 853 Kbps
For your connection, the acceptable range of speeds is 600-7150 Kbps.
Additional Information:

Download Speed
1074 Kbps

0 Kbps 7150 Kbps
Max Achievable Speed

Download speedachieved during the test was - 1074 Kbps
Additional Information:

Download Speed
450 Kbps

0 Kbps 7150 Kbps
Max Achievable Speed

Download speedachieved during the test was - 450 Kbps
Additional Information:

Download Speed
195 Kbps

0 Kbps 7150 Kbps
Max Achievable Speed

Download speedachieved during the test was - 195 Kbps
Additional Information:

Download Speed
721 Kbps

0 Kbps 7150 Kbps
Max Achievable Speed

Download speedachieved during the test was - 721 Kbps
Additional Information:

ManOfMeans

ULTIMATE Member
Openreach dont have anything to do with the capacity all they look after is the copper lines and exchange space

FabianJ

Casual Member
Openreach dont have anything to do with the capacity all they look after is the copper lines and exchange space

Really? Why the hell are BT telling me it's all openreach's responsibility?
Oh wait, because all BT do these days is talk complete and utter rubbish.

oldgoat

Casual Member
im with fast and my only complaint is low speeds and dropouts,which they say is my long extention lead, which i have researched and found that is not true,most of the problem is overloads where i live and ancient old copper lines that bt are to stingy to update having spoken to open reach when there engineers have been bodging the lines outside,the engineer said that bt hate spending money and prefer to blame the customer for all faults or charge us to send out an engineer.
i do find that fast is excelent on customer service and technical help.

Promotion
Cheapest Superfast ISPs
  • Vodafone £19.50 (*22.50)
    Speed 38Mbps, Unlimited
    Gift: None
  • NOW £20.00 (*32.00)
    Speed 36Mbps, Unlimited
  • Hyperoptic £20.00 (*25.00)
    Speed 50Mbps, Unlimited
    Gift: Promo Code: BIRTHDAY10
  • Shell Energy £21.99 (*30.99)
    Speed 35Mbps, Unlimited
  • Plusnet £22.00 (*38.20)
    Speed 36Mbps, Unlimited
    Gift: £60 Reward Card
Large Availability | View All
Cheapest Ultrafast ISPs
  • Gigaclear £24.00 (*49.00)
    Speed: 300Mbps, Unlimited
  • Vodafone £24.00 (*27.00)
    Speed: 100Mbps, Unlimited
  • Community Fibre £25.00 (*27.50)
    Speed: 200Mbps, Unlimited
  • Hyperoptic £25.00 (*35.00)
    Speed: 150Mbps, Unlimited
    Gift: Promo Code: BIRTHDAY10
  • Virgin Media £28.00 (*52.00)
    Speed: 108Mbps, Unlimited
Large Availability | View All
Helpful ISP Guides and Tips
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
Promotion
The Top 20 Category Tags
  1. FTTP (3558)
  2. BT (3023)
  3. Politics (1937)
  4. Building Digital UK (1926)
  5. FTTC (1887)
  6. Openreach (1837)
  7. Business (1691)
  8. Mobile Broadband (1479)
  9. Statistics (1408)
  10. FTTH (1365)
  11. 4G (1277)
  12. Fibre Optic (1174)
  13. Virgin Media (1170)
  14. Wireless Internet (1160)
  15. Ofcom Regulation (1148)
  16. Vodafone (846)
  17. EE (834)
  18. 5G (771)
  19. TalkTalk (769)
  20. Sky Broadband (747)
Sponsored

Copyright © 1999 to Present - ISPreview.co.uk - All Rights Reserved - Terms  ,  Privacy and Cookie Policy  ,  Links  ,  Website Rules