Sponsored Links

Not getting full speed from FTTP

geekonthepc

Hi,
Question for those who have FTTP.
Back in October I moved into a property that had FTTP available - the first property I've lived in to have this luxury. So I signed up to a 160/30 FTTP package with Structured Communications who had Openreach install the service around 2 weeks later.
The broadband has been stable enough but it annoys me that I don't get the full download speed for my line. If this was VDSL or G.Fast I'd put this down to line conditions but I thought FTTP was supposed to pretty much achieve the speed assigned to your line.
I speed test several times a week and tend to find I get around 140Mbps down and around 32Mbps up (so no complaints about the up!). My ping hovers around 15-19ms, which I also think is a tad high but acceptable.
Is this kind of difference between the package speed and actual download speed normal for FTTP, or should I reach out to my ISP and query this?
I've checked this speed from both gigabit wired and AC WiFi devices and get almost identical results.
Many thanks
Alex

FTTP takes the cable out of the equation as a bottleneck, although you still have to deal with issues of shared data capacity, network management and of course local network issues such as WiFi or congestion etc. (you don't say if this test was via WiFi).

On top of that it's worth considering that web-based speedtests tend to become increasingly inaccurate the faster your connection goes, although this is more of a problem around the Gigabit than 100-200Mbps range. At 140Mbps you are pretty close to BT's average advertised rate of 145Mbps, so that seems about right.

Ok thanks Mark, I won't worry too much. I realise I'm really making a fuss when most don't have anywhere near this fast, but I thought it was worth checking.

Sponsored Links
FTTP takes the cable out of the equation as a bottleneck, although you still have to deal with issues of shared data capacity, network management and of course local network issues such as WiFi or congestion etc.
On top of that it's worth considering that web-based speedtests tend to become increasingly inaccurate the faster your connection goes, although this is more of a problem around the Gigabit than 100-200Mbps range. At 140Mbps you are pretty close to BT's average advertised rate of 145Mbps, so that seems about right.

I've checked this speed from both gigabit wired and AC WiFi devices and get almost identical results.

What router are you using; it might be a case of it just not having the ompf to process all the data at the maximum line speed.
Some also suffer from slowdowns that can temporarily be fixed by performing a hard reboot.

Cheap BIG ISPs for 100Mbps+
Community Fibre UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
Gift: None
Virgin Media UK ISP Logo
Virgin Media £24.00
132Mbps
Shell Energy UK ISP Logo
Shell Energy £26.99
109Mbps
Plusnet UK ISP Logo
Plusnet £27.99
145Mbps
Zen Internet UK ISP Logo
Zen Internet £28.00 - 35.00
100Mbps
Large Availability | View All
Cheapest ISPs for 100Mbps+
Gigaclear UK ISP Logo
Gigaclear £15.00
150Mbps
YouFibre UK ISP Logo
YouFibre £19.99
150Mbps
Community Fibre UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
BeFibre UK ISP Logo
BeFibre £21.00
150Mbps
Gift: £25 Love2Shop Card
Hey! Broadband UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
Large Availability | View All
Sponsored Links
The Top 15 Category Tags
  1. FTTP (5472)
  2. BT (3505)
  3. Politics (2524)
  4. Openreach (2291)
  5. Business (2251)
  6. Building Digital UK (2234)
  7. FTTC (2041)
  8. Mobile Broadband (1961)
  9. Statistics (1778)
  10. 4G (1654)
  11. Virgin Media (1608)
  12. Ofcom Regulation (1451)
  13. Fibre Optic (1392)
  14. Wireless Internet (1386)
  15. FTTH (1381)
Sponsored

Copyright © 1999 to Present - ISPreview.co.uk - All Rights Reserved - Terms  ,  Privacy and Cookie Policy  ,  Links  ,  Website Rules