Sponsored

O2 5G is a myth.

Bubblesthefish6

ULTIMATE Member
O2 5G is a myth and you can't tell me otherwise. Why when you connect does A) nothing load or B) it pull the exact same (or less) speed as 4G. 2 of my friends are on O2 and another is on Tesco. All have 5G plans and all can't get anything to load on 5G. I tried out Sky 5G, and it DID connect but everything took ages to load and when fast.com finally loaded, it did an astounding 12mbps with a ping of 400ms.... What are they doing for it to be this awful!

Bubblesthefish6

ULTIMATE Member
Oversubscribed and Virgin Volt doesn't help.

They even advise to connect to O2 hotspots while out and about.
how can they call this 5G.....
Screenshot_20220407-185035_Photos~2.jpg

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220407-185035_Photos~2.jpg
    Screenshot_20220407-185035_Photos~2.jpg
    36.2 KB · Views: 33

Bubblesthefish6

ULTIMATE Member
There are only 2 5G operators in UK: EE and Three.
The rest seem to be just doing the bare minimum required by the marketing department.
"the rest" being largely O2; I've seen Vodafone 5G a time or two now. It's not widespread at all like 3 but where it is, it works at ~200-250mbps

CarlO1460

ULTIMATE Member
O2 5G is a myth and you can't tell me otherwise. Why when you connect does A) nothing load or B) it pull the exact same (or less) speed as 4G. 2 of my friends are on O2 and another is on Tesco. All have 5G plans and all can't get anything to load on 5G. I tried out Sky 5G, and it DID connect but everything took ages to load and when fast.com finally loaded, it did an astounding 12mbps with a ping of 400ms.... What are they doing for it to be this awful!
This has been my problem. 5G all over the place allegedly. Switch 5G off and still getting my 4G speeds of 60-120mbps.

The only place I know 5G actually works well is Newcastle. Anywhere from there to here, nada.

Three also works really well but I have a tendency to move into houses that are just a smidge out of coverage.

andyroochoo

Casual Member
maybe thats how they get around reporting this population of coverage % to ofcom

yeah the mast is transmitting a 5g signal but the backhaul is microwave. That will be why the speeds to the net are tripe.

edit: fixed typo

Bubblesthefish6

ULTIMATE Member
maybe thats how they get around reporting this population of coverage % to ofcom

yeah the mast is transmitting a 5g signal but the backhaul is microwave. That will be why the speeds to the net are tripe.

edit: fixed typo
don't think it's even the backhaul, they are just making the 4G cells show as 5G and going from there

CarlO1460

ULTIMATE Member
don't think it's even the backhaul, they are just making the 4G cells show as 5G and going from there
Just off my comment, the map doesn’t say I’m in a 5G area so whether the tech is active and awaiting Virgin to put in the backhaul properly who knows.

Bubblesthefish6

ULTIMATE Member
The only place I've connected to O2 "5G" was at my gym, it's not available anywhere else and even then it pulled a massive 12 meg when it finally connected, whereas 4G in the same location can do 60-70mbps

dabigm

ULTIMATE Member
So my friend came over with his iphone and he had 5G on o2.
18mbit. The mast is actually near a pub so guess what we did? beers and science. The best he got out of it was 40mbit. I kid you not. The pole was recently (February) installed, perhaps they continued to use the same old fibre backhaul they used when there was a 4G tower there?

Considering the speed, the cost, the FUP .. I have to agree their 5G is kind of a joke. But then I think that about Vodafone too.

Bubblesthefish6

ULTIMATE Member
So my friend came over with his iphone and he had 5G on o2.
18mbit. The mast is actually near a pub so guess what we did? beers and science. The best he got out of it was 40mbit. I kid you not. The pole was recently (February) installed, perhaps they continued to use the same old fibre backhaul they used when there was a 4G tower there?

Considering the speed, the cost, the FUP .. I have to agree their 5G is kind of a joke. But then I think that about Vodafone too.
yep, incridbly similar to my experience. Low or no throughput, nothing more than 100 meg.

meritez

ULTIMATE Member
Promotion
Cheapest Superfast ISPs
  • Hyperoptic £17.99
    Speed 33Mbps, Unlimited
    Gift: None
  • Shell Energy £19.99
    Speed 35Mbps, Unlimited
  • NOW £20.00
    Speed 36Mbps, Unlimited
  • Virgin Media £20.00
    Speed 54Mbps, Unlimited
  • Vodafone £22.00
    Speed 38Mbps, Unlimited
Large Availability | View All
Cheapest Ultrafast ISPs
  • Gigaclear £17.00
    Speed: 200Mbps, Unlimited
  • Community Fibre £20.00
    Speed: 150Mbps, Unlimited
  • Hyperoptic £22.00
    Speed: 158Mbps, Unlimited
  • Virgin Media £24.00
    Speed: 108Mbps, Unlimited
  • Vodafone £25.00
    Speed: 100Mbps, Unlimited
Large Availability | View All
Helpful ISP Guides and Tips
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
Promotion
The Top 20 Category Tags
  1. FTTP (4110)
  2. BT (3149)
  3. Politics (2115)
  4. Building Digital UK (2024)
  5. Openreach (1968)
  6. FTTC (1922)
  7. Business (1831)
  8. Mobile Broadband (1605)
  9. Statistics (1509)
  10. 4G (1378)
  11. FTTH (1371)
  12. Virgin Media (1277)
  13. Ofcom Regulation (1241)
  14. Wireless Internet (1233)
  15. Fibre Optic (1232)
  16. Vodafone (926)
  17. EE (905)
  18. 5G (898)
  19. TalkTalk (821)
  20. Sky Broadband (787)
Sponsored

Copyright © 1999 to Present - ISPreview.co.uk - All Rights Reserved - Terms  ,  Privacy and Cookie Policy  ,  Links  ,  Website Rules