Sponsored Links

Old Master Socket Wiring Problem Please Help

Rodnoahoz80

Hi Desperate. Decided to mess about with the master socket which sits near my front door not realising it controls the internet! Pulled it out and now have a mass of wires with no idear what to do. I have put back in the two I know cause i could see a bit of the wire stuck in the screw still.

Please see picture attached and if anyone can solve this I will literally send money to that individual tonight. That's how desperate I am. Completely lost all internet.
20200530_170812.jpg

So that doesn't look like a master socket, it looks more like an exposed little cable organising node thingy (I've obviously forgotten the name) that some homes have when the copper pair first enters your property. The Master socket usually comes after this. But I suppose it could also be the backplate of a very old master socket but you don't show the front plate.

The cables at the bottom with colour banding look like the ones that would normally then feed to your master and extension sockets:

Figuring all this out usually requires some knowledge of the existing property and its extension setup, so you might be better off hiring a local telecoms engineer.

There is only one cable, and no electronics, so definitely not a BT socket - it looks like a basic cable junction box.
At a guess, it is something left over from decades ago that has been bodged into use.
Good news is, a phone line only needs 2 wires, and internet can work with only one, so you should be able to figure it out by random chance.

Bad news is, you may have broken a wire inside the insulation, and stripping back wires that thin is a delicate task if you dont have the right tool.

But yes, you need to get someone in to sort it out - and get someone qualified from a recognised company, not the same type of cowboy that did this.
TBH, I would call BT out, you SHOULD have a proper BT master socket in the house; as you dont, they might even sort it out for free.

This has been pretty much what a Master socket should look like for the past 30+ years; some have two outlets, one for a phone and one for an ADSL computer connection.

1591539703856.png

Sponsored Links
Cheap BIG ISPs for 100Mbps+
Community Fibre UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
Gift: None
Virgin Media UK ISP Logo
Virgin Media £26.00
132Mbps
Shell Energy UK ISP Logo
Shell Energy £26.99
109Mbps
Plusnet UK ISP Logo
Plusnet £27.99
145Mbps
Zen Internet UK ISP Logo
Zen Internet £28.00 - 35.00
100Mbps
Large Availability | View All
Cheapest ISPs for 100Mbps+
Gigaclear UK ISP Logo
Gigaclear £17.00
200Mbps
YouFibre UK ISP Logo
YouFibre £19.99
150Mbps
Community Fibre UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
BeFibre UK ISP Logo
BeFibre £21.00
150Mbps
Gift: £25 Love2Shop Card
Hey! Broadband UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
Large Availability | View All

Helpful ISP Guides and Tips

Sponsored Links
The Top 15 Category Tags
  1. FTTP (5511)
  2. BT (3514)
  3. Politics (2535)
  4. Openreach (2296)
  5. Business (2260)
  6. Building Digital UK (2243)
  7. FTTC (2042)
  8. Mobile Broadband (1972)
  9. Statistics (1788)
  10. 4G (1663)
  11. Virgin Media (1619)
  12. Ofcom Regulation (1460)
  13. Fibre Optic (1393)
  14. Wireless Internet (1389)
  15. FTTH (1381)
Sponsored

Copyright © 1999 to Present - ISPreview.co.uk - All Rights Reserved - Terms  ,  Privacy and Cookie Policy  ,  Links  ,  Website Rules