Sponsored Links

Old surge protector causing RF interference

Buggerlugz

ULTIMATE Member
I've been having a weird issue with my fans on my newly built pc over the last few weeks. It comes with a box for plugging in the 4 RGB fans (single Sata power to it) which has a remote to control fan speed and light paterns.

Its been randomly changing colours and even switching the fan off periodically (which was worring), my wireless mouse has also been a bit flaky too of late. As the PC is on the desk now I'd used an old Belkin surge protector extension down the side of my desk with the pc plugged into it. (its got phone jacks for ADSL on it, its that old!)

Today when my pc was in sleep mode (due to the above issue) I plugged an external USB 3 hard disks power adaptor in to the extension and for some reason the pc woke up. This was without the USB lead plugged in, so made me consider if the extension was the cause of the RF interference. Needless to say I ditched it immediately.

I thought this might be a USB 3.1 thing, but low and behold the fans have not murmered since ditching the surge protector, No changing colours, no fan turn off, nothing but multi-coloured over the top rainbow bliss!

I've googled this, but can't find anything about surge protectors blasting out RF interference, so wondered if anyone else has had a similar issue?

It may not be the surge protection part that was the problem, but faulty AC adapters and anything that carries a lot of current can all potentially go wrong in a way that leads to an unwanted level of RF interference. The older the hardware, the more likely it is to be the cause, as standards have improved a fair bit over the past decade and kit does wear out with continued use.

Thanks for that Mark, I've never come across this before. I did discover it wasn't a built in microfilter on the extension it was for a dialup modem connection, so probably its had its day now!

Sponsored Links
Cheap BIG ISPs for 100Mbps+
Community Fibre UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
Gift: None
Virgin Media UK ISP Logo
Virgin Media £24.00
132Mbps
Shell Energy UK ISP Logo
Shell Energy £26.99
109Mbps
Plusnet UK ISP Logo
Plusnet £27.99
145Mbps
Zen Internet UK ISP Logo
Zen Internet £28.00 - 35.00
100Mbps
Large Availability | View All
Cheapest ISPs for 100Mbps+
Gigaclear UK ISP Logo
Gigaclear £15.00
150Mbps
YouFibre UK ISP Logo
YouFibre £19.99
150Mbps
Community Fibre UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
BeFibre UK ISP Logo
BeFibre £21.00
150Mbps
Gift: £25 Love2Shop Card
Hey! Broadband UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
Large Availability | View All

Helpful ISP Guides and Tips

Sponsored Links
The Top 15 Category Tags
  1. FTTP (5473)
  2. BT (3505)
  3. Politics (2525)
  4. Openreach (2291)
  5. Business (2251)
  6. Building Digital UK (2234)
  7. FTTC (2041)
  8. Mobile Broadband (1961)
  9. Statistics (1780)
  10. 4G (1654)
  11. Virgin Media (1608)
  12. Ofcom Regulation (1451)
  13. Fibre Optic (1392)
  14. Wireless Internet (1386)
  15. FTTH (1381)
Sponsored

Copyright © 1999 to Present - ISPreview.co.uk - All Rights Reserved - Terms  ,  Privacy and Cookie Policy  ,  Links  ,  Website Rules