Sponsored

One Day Connection Outage

plague1392

At about 8:00am on Friday my connection suddenly went off line so I logged into the router and tried to reconnect but was unable to. It stayed offline until around mid-day on Saturday, at which time it started working again. I have another ADSL connection at the house and that continued to work for the entire time the connection was down.

I didn't see any reports of outages on Entanet during this time so it must have been limited to my connection. I'm just wondering what would cause such an outage? Could it be that my router is on the way out? I've had a few instances where the connection has stopped working even though the router showed "connected". In these instances I generally just have to disconnect and connect again to get it to work so it hasn't been a problem, but with the recent longer outage I'm starting to wonder if there's a problem with the router.

Do you think I need to replace the router or does the problem likely lie elsewhere?

timeless

ULTIMATE Member
Staff member
Volunteer Mod
to be honest l would approach your ISP first, unless you wanna grab a replacement router anyways... always useful having a spare but rather than disconnect it if nothing is wrong with it, its always worth finding out what problems were their end first.

Mark.J

Administrator
Staff member
ISPreview Team
Most routers keep a log of your connection activity. These logs usually aren't very detailed but if you note the time when such an outage occurs then it's usually possible to go into the router and see whether anything abnormal is being reported.

It sounds to me like a radius server problem at the ISP, which is not uncommon, although such an outage would normally result in a red or orange connection light on your router and is usually fixed within the space of a few hours at most.

As for the outages where you can connect again after the disconnection, that could be something different. It'd be interesting to see a paste of your router stats, such as attenuation and most importantly your noise margin.

plague1392

Thanks for the replies. I might pick up a backup router so I can make sure that's not the problem next time the connection goes down.

Here are the connection stats:

Connection Speed
Downstream - 3568 kbps
Upstream - 895 kbps

Line Attenuation
Downstream - 46 db
Upstream - 14.5 db

Noise Margin
Downstream - 11 db
Upstream - 6 db

I don't know how that compares to other lines but there's no other road in the town further from the exchange so it's probably not good.

Mark.J

Administrator
Staff member
ISPreview Team
To me those stats look fairly normal, I cannot see anything that really stands out as being a potential problem. The upstream noise margin is perhaps a bit low but the downstream seems good.

Promotion
Cheapest Superfast ISPs
  • Hyperoptic £18.00 (*22.00)
    Avg. Speed 30Mbps, Unlimited
    Gift: Code: HYPER19
  • Vodafone £21.00
    Avg. Speed 35Mbps, Unlimited
    Gift: Amazon Echo Plus
  • Direct Save Telecom £22.95 (*29.95)
    Gift: None
  • Origin Broadband £23.00
  • SSE £23.00 (*33.00)
    Avg. Speed 35Mbps, Unlimited (FUP)
Prices inc. Line Rental | View All
Helpful ISP Guides and Tips
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
Promotion
The Top 20 Category Tags
  1. BT (2428)
  2. FTTP (2036)
  3. FTTC (1612)
  4. Building Digital UK (1557)
  5. Politics (1355)
  6. Openreach (1351)
  7. Business (1190)
  8. Statistics (1054)
  9. FTTH (985)
  10. Mobile Broadband (983)
  11. Fibre Optic (948)
  12. Ofcom Regulation (891)
  13. Wireless Internet (872)
  14. 4G (858)
  15. Virgin Media (819)
  16. Sky Broadband (577)
  17. EE (564)
  18. TalkTalk (558)
  19. Vodafone (481)
  20. Security (399)
Sponsored

Copyright © 1999 to Present - ISPreview.co.uk - All Rights Reserved - Terms  ,  Privacy and Cookie Policy  ,  Links  ,  Website Rules