Sponsored Links

Online gaming / ping

It was the price of our FTTC at the time being a tad too high. You even called me personally and remarked at the time that moving away was an extremely painful thing to be doing. Our doors are always open :)

my memory isnt what it used to be lol, but yes l recall that chat now :p think we side tracked for a good few mins on other topics, remember feeling a bit down after calling as most other ISPs dont connect to their customers on such a personal level.

l do occasionally visit the packages pages to check prices, but at present lm managing to keep my bill at £27 (including line rental) which l wish l didnt need because we dont use the house phone), but from what l see the package ld most likely choose likely isnt available in my area at the moment as l know of no one who is on pure fibre round my area plus its the only one which doesnt need a phone line, the other thing l currently like about Sky is that lve got plenty of credit on the account leaving me able to not worry for three months (had some rough months having credit has been helpful).

so i now have ghost now , and ye it looks like i have interleaving on, my ping is 29 speed is 68 , https://www.speedtest.net/result/8925290950 , i called ghost got told , am not set on profile yet need to wait 1 day ,
https://www.thinkbroadband.com/broa...5b9706635caf6a283414560a575fb0a2ee-08-01-2020 , is live as you can see its not good , this is an pic of the stats i can see https://gyazo.com/9e78b7c43637ec18c3e7f9e990ec13b4 , why do this not work any info what i need to do https://gyazo.com/9b3d3cd2d9937d82b0ef8349a081dc53 , i have tplink vr400

baby_frogmella indeed it may not be 'everyone' but have you tried pinging somewhere at the same time as putting a moderate load on your connection such as streaming video from twitch ? then watch your ping for a few minutes and see if you can spot any crazy high ping spikes into the 100's which as you can imagine is totally useless for gaming.

maddenlol, interleave for me added about 8ms to my base ping although it may be different for you, for me it takes about 2 to 3 days for interleave to be removed by the DLM then about 1 week for my speed to stabilize i.e. speed / throughput during the first week was +/- a few Mb/s although I don't care that much about speed I'm more interested in latency.

maddenlol could you ping 185.60.112.157 please ? this is an Overwatch server in Amsterdam. I live in the midlands - Leicestershire, for me via BT I was getting 17ms to this location. Also could you give a rough idea of your location, this will also affect your base ping seeing as most routing is taking place in and around London.

baby_frogmella indeed it may not be 'everyone' but have you tried pinging somewhere at the same time as putting a moderate load on your connection such as streaming video from twitch ? then watch your ping for a few minutes and see if you can spot any crazy high ping spikes into the 100's which as you can imagine is totally useless for gaming.

maddenlol, interleave for me added about 8ms to my base ping although it may be different for you, for me it takes about 2 to 3 days for interleave to be removed by the DLM then about 1 week for my speed to stabilize i.e. speed / throughput during the first week was +/- a few Mb/s although I don't care that much about speed I'm more interested in latency.

maddenlol could you ping 185.60.112.157 please ? this is an Overwatch server in Amsterdam. I live in the midlands - Leicestershire, for me via BT I was getting 17ms to this location. Also could you give a rough idea of your location, this will also affect your base ping seeing as most routing is taking place in and around London.

am North of Scotland 36ms atm, cuz i have interleave on i got told by ghost its set to low for now , this is the stast for now , https://gyazo.com/d420b0fbacdc5294c541ba79b4bb61c3 , i see no errors in the Downstream guess this is good but got some on the Upstream , i see the max Rate is changing bit this looking ok do you know

you can watch this if you like

its live , i have been downloading lot of updates this why its not showing the best but today i do not need to download anymore so we will see how it looks and btw this is on ipv6

Sponsored Links
@BigAlbert
Ping results to Google during twitch streaming:

Pinging google.co.uk [216.58.204.35] with 32 bytes of data:
Reply from 216.58.204.35: bytes=32 time=18ms TTL=51

Ping statistics for 216.58.204.35:
Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
Minimum = 18ms, Maximum = 18ms, Average = 18ms

C:\>

Yes I did notice the age of the thread after I'd posted it - but no I believe I've seen more recent threads where users are claiming online gaming problems due to either packet loss or latency. I'm not saying Zen is bad for gaming it's possible these users had problems with their internal network or connection to the cab. It just leaves me unsure about Zen especially being locked into a long contract.

I just don't see any evidence as per most ISPs that they take ping / packet loss seriously. Looking around idNet has a gamer package and a 1 month contract, that puts money where their mouth is, as in, if it's no good for gaming I'd be able to leave, if it's good then I'd stick around...

Sponsored Links
from my experience most ISPs focus on download and ping just isnt really measured.

Indeed ping is really the mysterious thing that ISPs seem reluctant to deal with, regarding Zen check this out, 7.5ms to 27.5ms - oof

The post is a little old but Zen was apparently saying that's ok, I wouldn't be ok with that...

This is the problem

Zen claim "
Why Zen?

Zen provides a range of excellent broadband packages which are absolutely ideal for gaming"

But we'll whack an extra 20ms to your ping and say that's ok pal....

If they are claiming to be fit for gaming then at least investigating a higher ping would be a starting point.

timeless would you mind telling me roughly where you live, your speed test is showing me the destination of your ping, which could be on the high side if for example you lived in London.

maddenlol you should do a trace route so you can see the reason for the 21ms. So a DOS prompt and type 'tracert 185.60.112.157', the IP address probably isn't that important because I suspect the majority of your ping will be to reach down to London.

Note that you have to take into account the absolute max your data can travel which is the speed of light, so 186 miles in 1 ms, so based on distance you've probably got 3 ms taken up, the rest is likely to be due to the number of hops to reach down to London.

Your talk talk speed test ping is based on a server in Stockton-on-Tees which is probably close to where you live. So fewer hops and less distance, your current speed test is a London server, so again I suspect the time to this server will be minimal being close to where Ghost are located.

Please post the tracert result because I'm really interested based on my current issues.

Your errors are probably nothing to worry about, your connection has been up for 7 hours and providing you've been using it a fair amount then as a percentage these errors are likely to be minimal, your SNR looks ok so I'd guess your external connection is good.

maddenlol indeed your ping to stockton on tees will be more because your packets are being routed down to London then back up north, so you've got 21ms to get to Ghost gamer broadband+ 6ms to get back up north.

You've got the same problem I have, as per your trace route it's taking 21 ms for you to reach the GG broadband routers, so where ever you're trying to reach the minimum ping you'll have is 21 ms, it'll never be below that even if you're gaming on a London game server.

The problem you've got as I've mentioned is distance but also the handover from BT wholesale to ghost gamer broadband, based on what I'm seeing for my connection this is probably about 10ms of your 21ms.

There's no way to change this as far as I know and it's particularly annoying because as a 'gaming' broadband product where ping is everything this isn't mentioned i.e. we'll slap 10ms onto your base ping before you even start. This is not ghost gamers fault as such I'd be more inclined to blame BT for the slow / lame handover of packets that puts other ISPs at a disadvantage, but it would help if they made it clear before switching. Of course if you manage to get this resolved somehow it would be great to know.

The only positive you might have is low jitter and this can be worth something as I've experienced ping spikes from BT and seen evidence from other ISPs where latency is all over the place.

Your packet loss doesn't look good but it would depend how often that's happening, for that I'd do 'ping 185.60.112.157 -t' and watch the ping values and see if you spot any 'no response' message aka packet loss and watch for any higher values in the ping values e.g. jumps of 10ms or more - bad jitter. Or download ping logger and watch the graph, note though that ping logger defaults to pinging every 5 seconds which is slow.

If you only see a couple of packets dropped every 2 hours then while it's not ideal it probably won't affect your gaming that much.

Another utility I've used is https://github.com/bp2008/pingtracer this graphs out the hops and makes it easy to spot where packet loss is occurring.

I'm really pulling my hair out because at the moment I can't see any ISP that's worth switching to that's going to give me a low latency / stable connection with a low latency into the core network. I don't have Virgin available so at the moment it's a flip a coin between Zen or Sky. At least with Sky I can move my phone and get a good deal.

Cheap BIG ISPs for 100Mbps+
Community Fibre UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
Gift: None
Virgin Media UK ISP Logo
Virgin Media £24.00
132Mbps
Shell Energy UK ISP Logo
Shell Energy £26.99
109Mbps
Plusnet UK ISP Logo
Plusnet £27.99
145Mbps
Zen Internet UK ISP Logo
Zen Internet £28.00 - 35.00
100Mbps
Large Availability | View All
Cheapest ISPs for 100Mbps+
Gigaclear UK ISP Logo
Gigaclear £15.00
150Mbps
YouFibre UK ISP Logo
YouFibre £19.99
150Mbps
Community Fibre UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
BeFibre UK ISP Logo
BeFibre £21.00
150Mbps
Gift: £25 Love2Shop Card
Hey! Broadband UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
Large Availability | View All
Sponsored Links
The Top 15 Category Tags
  1. FTTP (5472)
  2. BT (3505)
  3. Politics (2524)
  4. Openreach (2291)
  5. Business (2251)
  6. Building Digital UK (2234)
  7. FTTC (2041)
  8. Mobile Broadband (1961)
  9. Statistics (1778)
  10. 4G (1654)
  11. Virgin Media (1608)
  12. Ofcom Regulation (1451)
  13. Fibre Optic (1392)
  14. Wireless Internet (1386)
  15. FTTH (1381)
Sponsored

Copyright © 1999 to Present - ISPreview.co.uk - All Rights Reserved - Terms  ,  Privacy and Cookie Policy  ,  Links  ,  Website Rules