Sponsored Links

Online gaming / ping

I feel you BigAlbert, I'm looking for similar requirements, at least I'm in London and can get more options. I am going to change flats and at my current place Virgin is great, very low latency, but has spikes.

You should also try WinMTR to measure the latency/packet loss on each hop.

The 21ms can because more than likely the profile which your connection is on FTTC, interleaving will add a few ms but does allow high sync speeds.

Reactions: iwe
my ping was 30 before the resync now 21 , maybe interleaving is still on? , ghost told me it was set to low but got no news back yet from em for anymore updates

If you look on the router stats if you have FEC errors and they are rising that means interleaving is still enabled

timeless would you mind telling me roughly where you live, your speed test is showing me the destination of your ping, which could be on the high side if for example you lived in London.

lm in the hereford area, for the majority of the time my ping/download is pretty solid, in fact the test in my signature was a peak time test, lve done one or two really early morning tests and the best ping lve gotten was 9ms according to speedtest.net lol XD

the thing thats always amused me about my connection is that l was advised against upgrading to Max as their records originally only showed capability for up to 34meg, but generally l push around the high 50s and on occasion into the 60s

It doesnt say if they are FEC errors

maddenlol seeing your ping drop from 30 to 21 suggests to me interleaving was removed, I had an extra 8ms from interleaving so it seems to fit. It would be useful though to be sure if your router has the stats to prove it's definitely off or as LeeH says check for any high error rates.

I like the idea of switching to Sky especially as they have the anytime calling plan but it seems so hard to find any technical details about Sky, it's just 'Sky broadband'. So timeless you might be close to a Sky point of presence or have Sky LLU although I.m still not sure if LLU just applies to ADSL or VDSL FTTC as well.

timeless could I ask for another favor, would you mind doing 'ping 185.60.112.157 -t' and run it for about 30 secs then post the result, I'm interested in knowing what jitter looks like on Sky.

at this moment in time lm averaging at 17ms highest was 18ms with 0% packet loss on the IP you shared to ping.

update i had long talk with ghost nice guy i was talking to btw , he is going to ask for dlm reset to see if it will fix it , Interleaving Low is still on the line this why my ping is still 22 will post update tomorrow

maddenlol I think a dlm reset will increase your ping by increasing your interleave depth, that's what I've seen twice for my connection. It would be good though and interesting if you do manage to get your 22ms ping reduced by a significant amount.

AAISP, their data caps seem ridiculous, although when you think about the 2TB limit, that's a lot of data, a modern game download is 60GB, so you could download 10 modern games, that's only 600GB, just over 1 quarter of your limit. HD film at 3GB, so streaming 10 HD films is only 30GB, gaming uses very little data. The main problem is that you might be constantly worrying about using the internet, just in case somehow to manage to go over the 2TB limit. I guess the good thing is, it would put off the big down loaders that just leave their PC on constantly downloading dodgy films or software 24/7 or run a public FTP server etc, so would reduce network congestion. I don't think I could really consider AAISP, with 2 others in my household which are big internet users there is a risk I could top the 2TB limit.

If I lived up north I'd consider Zen they have a point of presence in Manchester, plusnet is also located closer to you but they're a BT owned company and I'd suspect might be linked into the ping spikey BT network.

Screen Shot 2020-01-13 at 1.20.18 PM.png

Data from the company I work at, sampling from yesterdya 11am until today 11am. 24h average, country wide.
Latency & Packetloss.
Sample size... is big. Eg. BT peak times reach 76 Gbps, Virgin 110 Gbps, etc. This is all consumer level data.
Based in London.

Cheap BIG ISPs for 100Mbps+
Community Fibre UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
Gift: None
Virgin Media UK ISP Logo
Virgin Media £24.00
132Mbps
Shell Energy UK ISP Logo
Shell Energy £26.99
109Mbps
Plusnet UK ISP Logo
Plusnet £27.99
145Mbps
Zen Internet UK ISP Logo
Zen Internet £28.00 - 35.00
100Mbps
Large Availability | View All
Cheapest ISPs for 100Mbps+
Gigaclear UK ISP Logo
Gigaclear £15.00
150Mbps
YouFibre UK ISP Logo
YouFibre £19.99
150Mbps
Community Fibre UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
BeFibre UK ISP Logo
BeFibre £21.00
150Mbps
Gift: £25 Love2Shop Card
Hey! Broadband UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
Large Availability | View All

Helpful ISP Guides and Tips

Sponsored Links
The Top 15 Category Tags
  1. FTTP (5473)
  2. BT (3505)
  3. Politics (2525)
  4. Openreach (2291)
  5. Business (2251)
  6. Building Digital UK (2234)
  7. FTTC (2041)
  8. Mobile Broadband (1961)
  9. Statistics (1780)
  10. 4G (1654)
  11. Virgin Media (1608)
  12. Ofcom Regulation (1451)
  13. Fibre Optic (1392)
  14. Wireless Internet (1386)
  15. FTTH (1381)
Sponsored

Copyright © 1999 to Present - ISPreview.co.uk - All Rights Reserved - Terms  ,  Privacy and Cookie Policy  ,  Links  ,  Website Rules