Sponsored Links

Only BT could mess up this bad

ukphiza

So here begins my 5 month nightmare with British telecommunication.

I moved into a new build apartment in July of this year, internet was included with every property via a shared network using a single fibre 1 connection, it was pretty speedy to begin with but we was one of the first people to move in, more people moved in and it became unusable, so called BT as I was a mobile customer.

To begin with they couldn't locate my property for about 3 weeks, could find everyone else apart from 2 numbers, me and next door, which didn't make sense but eventually they updated their records and said they could provide copper ADSL but fibre wasn't available even though the street we come off has G.fast, trying to explain this and they couldn't understand to sent a request off to Openreach, they came back with conflicting information, they said fibre is available on the street we connected onto but they only had 3 slots left, ok cool so enough for me to come on, BT then informed me that my address was still silver and not gold so they said before they can order fibre they need to install a phone line to change my address to gold, so I agreed to get the phone line installed.

date of the phone line installation came, I got a text to day my engineer would be with me between 10-12, awesome things started looking up, so I waited in burning through my data watching YouTube, one YouTube time travel later and its 6pm! No **bleep** came! wow Openreach cheers for that, call BT to see where he'd gotten to, they apologised and informed me that there is auto compensation which had already kicked in place before I called, awesome, when can you next get someone round? 2 weeks she's said, wow ok cool I'll see them then,
phone line then got installed and I was able to make a call, awesome sauce I got an emergency phone 😎 and waited for the call back that was booked in, get the phone call informing me that the cab is full, and there was planning put in to expand but was waiting council approval, which is fair, asked them what they could do about increasing my mobile data, so was put onto a 100GB plan with a free mini hub with 30GB to tide me over, pfft they haven't met me, the weeks go on and I'm researching and digging about and just coping with my data and the slow free wifi, to then discover that the apartments had two addresses, with two different post codes, I then get excited and call to see if they can do some digging on their systems.
someone from connections validated me and searched the alternative post cade, and in fact could see two lines coming into this block, one of which was an internet line and the other a single line with telephone only service, Which was me!!! we then started to place the order and he informs me that there is fibre available with a maximum of 51mbps, good enough for me pal, sign me tf upppp!!!
got a text with routers tracking number and got the router a day before activation, awesome this is happening tomorrow is gonna be a fun day!tomorrow arrives and the free slow wifi is down, my gut told me that they'd took over the wrong line but I thought logically and though probably cross wires, the Enginner will fix it tomorrow, he then come round and sends a tone down the line to identify me in the cab, but couldn't as there was cross wire!!! just as I thought, simple fix, he says that he needs to do the same test on my landlords line, so we get into where the router and network switch is and the Enginner look so confused, he said "I've never seen anything like this before I'm not sure where I need to be looking" it was a simple network, oh boy, I then go outside to find the pole and trace the wire and tell him to look, found the socket but its was a SSFP with no BT phone socket just DSL, he rips the socket off and puts his test thing onto it, alright then, he then says that he's sorted the issue and puts a new SSFP with a Phone socket, I mean not what was there but ok bro, said it was interfering with the lines.
go back into my apartment to connect the router up and see if it connects as I got a activation text before he was done, router didn't turn blue with its lush wifi signal, he then shows me the number he was installing and it was not my number! they did exactly what my gut told me! buggered right up, get on the phone to them immediately and explained that they have took over the wrong line and 26 apartments and a business has no internet now so they closed the order and terminated within 24hrs, the agent then informs me that my line was able to get G.fast, excuse me Hun King what!?!? get that **bleep** order plz now I don't care at what cost, orders been ordered and I'm a halo customer, my data is doubled and I get a new router but....
There is still 26 apartments and a business without internet and their old provider can't get them connected for another 2 weeks as BT still own the line 🙄

the first router they sent me I begged an EE store to take it, they had no bags so had to find another, its like they really don't want they stuff back

I'm sorry to ramble but this has just been a total nightmare and I just want wifi that can handle 4K streaming

Have had similar problems with BT supplying FTTP, to cut a long story short they told me after 2 months they wanted £4000 to install it. So needless to say they got told where to plug it in!! So I signed a new contract with my current provider SSE. 3 days later BT rang and said it would not cost me to install FTTP they had yet again screwed up. So until SSE can supply me FTTP I will live with 2mb copper. I will never again use BT.

BT are so incompetent, I do not know how they manage to stay in business.

Sponsored Links
It sounds like BT were pretty clear in the first place though saying that the service isn't available. The 'second post code' you're referred to I know about because I lived in an apartment and had the same thing.

My apartment building had it's own post code but the street it was on had it's own post code too, somewhere along the lines the post codes for my apartment building were the same as the street and were changed upon completion.

The lines all ran through the building though and were connected to some kind of board - it also wasn't connected to the closest/most obvious cabinet. As there was a physical line which hadn't ever been used - they rated the speeds as 2mbps or something ridiculous but after install it went to the full 20mbps ADSL (they said FTTC wasn't even available) but at 20mbps it was more than usable. The closest cabinet and rest of the addresses in the post code all had FTTC availability except the apartment building.

By using a post code which you know to be incorrect sounds like you've half caused this mess though BT should have identified the post code isn't any longer an accurate one for your address.

Have had similar problems with BT supplying FTTP, to cut a long story short they told me after 2 months they wanted £4000 to install it. So needless to say they got told where to plug it in!! So I signed a new contract with my current provider SSE. 3 days later BT rang and said it would not cost me to install FTTP they had yet again screwed up. So until SSE can supply me FTTP I will live with 2mb copper. I will never again use BT.

I think no matter of hatred towards a company would convince me to use 2mbps when I could get Fibre to the Home!

Maybe give Zen ago, when you're out of contract? I don't see SSE supporting FTTP anytime soon.

The bit the engineer cut off sounds like a bonded Ethernet circuit (multiple lines in to a single router), the dsl faceplate gives it away.
It sounds like your NAD key may be wrong (National Address Database, belongs to Royal Mail and populates address details for anyone that needs it).

This link updates it, then it may show you the proper services available.

Flats and apartments can be problematic as any work on them has to be cleared through the building/property/land owners, hence why people struggle to get upgraded services installed.

Cheap BIG ISPs for 100Mbps+
Community Fibre UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
Gift: None
Virgin Media UK ISP Logo
Virgin Media £26.00
132Mbps
Shell Energy UK ISP Logo
Shell Energy £26.99
109Mbps
Plusnet UK ISP Logo
Plusnet £27.99
145Mbps
Zen Internet UK ISP Logo
Zen Internet £28.00 - 35.00
100Mbps
Large Availability | View All
Cheapest ISPs for 100Mbps+
Gigaclear UK ISP Logo
Gigaclear £17.00
200Mbps
YouFibre UK ISP Logo
YouFibre £19.99
150Mbps
Community Fibre UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
BeFibre UK ISP Logo
BeFibre £21.00
150Mbps
Gift: £25 Love2Shop Card
Hey! Broadband UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
Large Availability | View All

Helpful ISP Guides and Tips

Sponsored Links
The Top 15 Category Tags
  1. FTTP (5508)
  2. BT (3513)
  3. Politics (2535)
  4. Openreach (2296)
  5. Business (2260)
  6. Building Digital UK (2243)
  7. FTTC (2042)
  8. Mobile Broadband (1971)
  9. Statistics (1787)
  10. 4G (1662)
  11. Virgin Media (1617)
  12. Ofcom Regulation (1459)
  13. Fibre Optic (1393)
  14. Wireless Internet (1389)
  15. FTTH (1381)
Sponsored

Copyright © 1999 to Present - ISPreview.co.uk - All Rights Reserved - Terms  ,  Privacy and Cookie Policy  ,  Links  ,  Website Rules