Sponsored Links

ONT alternative for SFP fans

x_term

Well... not much to say other than: this is done at your own risk, if you have no clue what an ONT and a Linux shell is, it's better for you not to do anything.
I feel for Community Fibre that's having procurement issues with over-1Gbps equipment. As of now this stick is only available on Alibaba, price is variable depending on stock and takes a while to import to the UK therefore. Model is "HiSense LTF7267-BHA+" and it is an XGS-PON SFP+ ONU with MAC, probably the only one available on the market too.
It was sufficient to set Vendor ID and PON serial according to the ONT given to you by CF and OLT emulation mode to Adtran (which I presume is their vendor everywhere at the moment) and I had O5 status and connectivity on my beloved Mikrotik RB5009.
You can find lots of information on what and how to edit through this project here, which a few friends are building in Italy. It's so great to get rid of that chunky huge Adtran 🙃

IMG_4055.JPEGIMG_4056.JPEG

Very nice! Is it stable? Is there any latency difference between the Adtran and just using the transceiver? I don't seem to find specs in terms of what routers/switches they support. I have a Netgate box which uses usually Intel transceivers. Do you have a link for Alibaba? I searched for it and nothing came back but Alibaba's search is a good as the 737 MAX.

Very nice! Is it stable? Is there any latency difference between the Adtran and just using the transceiver? I don't seem to find specs in terms of what routers/switches they support. I have a Netgate box which uses usually Intel transceivers. Do you have a link for Alibaba? I searched for it and nothing came back but Alibaba's search is a good as the 737 MAX.
It is stable indeed, it's running since this morning and not noticed any variations, I'm on the 1G profile and speed is pretty much as before.
I don't seem to find specs in terms of what routers/switches they support
Not sure what you mean here, config at layer 3 is DHCP. If you refer to the SFP+, well that's the reason why it is difficult so far: the modules you easily find on eBay also from other countries don't include the MAC part (layer 2) of electronics to make them cheaper and the rest is usually on the ISPs router motherboard. This is the only one we could find that's got everything built-in, so it's not a simple transceiver, it's in fact a router on a stick, runs the same SDK that Adtran uses to develop their ONTs. Anything that supports SFP+ 10G will work.
Do you have a link for Alibaba?
Don't know if it's allowed here actually but this is the page. The XGS-PON of course, not 10G-EPON.

Sponsored Links
I'm on the 1G profile and speed is pretty much as before.
It will be good to measure latency as well.

Not sure what you mean here [...] Anything that supports SFP+ 10G will work.
Not all transceivers work on routers/switches. In most cases you buy specific transceivers for your brand of router/switch. That's not to say this will not work, but you are never sure until you try...

It will be good to measure latency as well.
I'm waiting a few days to see if anything changes on my monitoring but so far there's no difference
Not all transceivers work on routers/switches
I see what you mean now yeah, but that issue is more because the big brands try to lock you in with their modules. I have no idea if this would be restricted on a Cisco or a Juniper router/switch, unless I manage to bring one home from work and test it.
On Mikrotik and other prosumer hardware I didn't think about it as there's no such risk.

Sponsored Links
I would love to be able to use an SFP+ module with my XGS-PON FF connection but these modules are quite expensive as @Msh and I have found so far.

SFP+ direct-attach copper no good?
SFP+ DAC is handy to connect two fibre devices using copper. In most people either want to connect CF's fibre directly to their switch/router, such as x_term shown above. I think in the future we will get a single router/ont/telephone/wifi AP device that does all the jobs in one. In fact there are already devices out there doing these jobs so I presume the bigger brands will catch up at some point:

https://www.ftthtec.com/gepon/gpon-onu/ftth-wifi-modem-4-fe-2-fxs-gpon-onu-ont.html

SFP+ direct-attach copper no good?
The ONT supplied only has a RJ45 port on it so at present using a Cat7e patch cable between ONT and using a RJ45 SFP+ module.
The rest of my 10GbE home network uses SFP+SR fibre modules.
Having a SFP+ ONT would remove the complexity of having a separate ONT and converting copper RJ45 to SFP+.

Sponsored Links
The ONT supplied only has a RJ45 port on it so at present using a Cat7e patch cable between ONT and using a RJ45 SFP+ module.
The rest of my 10GbE home network uses SFP+SR fibre modules.
Having a SFP+ ONT would remove the complexity of having a separate ONT and converting copper RJ45 to SFP+.
Presumably the ONT RJ45 port is 10GBASE-T otherwise a cheap SFP converter would do.

@Msh @nsmhd so price related, my specific one when it was purchased in november last year, a bulk of 6, it worked them out 169€ each. I guess if purchasing single ones, plus again shipping etc it is more expensive.

As I have a 1Gb service yes, my Adtran box has a 1Gbps RJ45 port only.
Re latencies, as example these two targets in my monitoring show they stayed the same after the downtime (installed SFP). Jitter is about 2ms, rare spikes yes, but they all are across Europe.

eolocl18-ping.pngdim-edge-ping.png

@Msh @nsmhd so price related, my specific one when it was purchased in november last year, a bulk of 6, it worked them out 169€ each. I guess if purchasing single ones, plus again shipping etc it is more expensive.
I am thinking dealing with a bulk order may be the way to go again in the future. 169 is far more reasonable.

Sponsored Links
I've some purchasing then soldering to do. Thank you!

EDIT: Never mind, I've just noted that the shell isn't locked, no firewall or anything, so I just need to shove it in a switch on its own VLAN and telnet. Easier job than the Openreach branded GPON ONU.

Last edited:
other people I use for SFP+ modules is fs.com, they *appear* to have some XGSPON & GPON SFP+ modules, but I don't know enough about the technologies to know if they'll work for you :)

other people I use for SFP+ modules is fs.com, they *appear* to have some XGSPON & GPON SFP+ modules, but I don't know enough about the technologies to know if they'll work for you :)
The XGS one isn't configurable. The GPON one is, and works on Openreach.

If anyone is considering a larger order and willing to deal with the hassle, I'd take one of these off your hands. Happy to pay any established forum member in advance / add the cost of a beer for your trouble.

Cheapest Superfast ISPs
  • Hyperoptic £17.99
    Speed 33Mbps, Unlimited
    Gift: None
  • UtilityWarehouse £19.99
    Speed 35Mbps, Unlimited (FUP)
  • NOW £23.00
    Speed 63Mbps, Unlimited
  • Vodafone £24.00
    Speed 73 - 82Mbps, Unlimited
  • Shell Energy £24.99
    Speed 38Mbps, Unlimited
Large Availability | View All
Cheapest Ultrafast ISPs
  • Gigaclear £17.00
    Speed: 200Mbps, Unlimited
  • Zzoomm £19.95
    Speed: 150Mbps, Unlimited
  • YouFibre £19.99
  • Community Fibre £20.00
  • BeFibre £21.00
    Gift: £25 Love2Shop Card
Large Availability | View All
Helpful ISP Guides and Tips
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
Sponsored Links
The Top 20 Category Tags
  1. FTTP (5385)
  2. BT (3490)
  3. Politics (2494)
  4. Openreach (2275)
  5. Business (2221)
  6. Building Digital UK (2215)
  7. FTTC (2038)
  8. Mobile Broadband (1940)
  9. Statistics (1763)
  10. 4G (1639)
  11. Virgin Media (1589)
  12. Ofcom Regulation (1438)
  13. FTTH (1379)
  14. Wireless Internet (1378)
  15. Fibre Optic (1375)
  16. 5G (1215)
  17. Vodafone (1126)
  18. EE (1111)
  19. TalkTalk (927)
  20. O2 (914)
Sponsored

Copyright © 1999 to Present - ISPreview.co.uk - All Rights Reserved - Terms  ,  Privacy and Cookie Policy  ,  Links  ,  Website Rules