Sponsored Links

ONT alternative for SFP fans

Damn. I was really hopeful you’d be successful.
Thanks for your efforts for the community.
I’m still tempted to have a go but it seems more complicated than initially expected.

Damn. I was really hopeful you’d be successful.
Thanks for your efforts for the community.
I’m still tempted to have a go but it seems more complicated than initially expected.
Has anyone tried to ask tech support to provision a different ONT/SN?

On the HiSense everything is defined in a text file which is /config/scfg.txt.
In this I specified the following:
Code:
STRING CFG_ID_PON_VENDOR_ID = ADTN;
INT CFG_ID_PON_VSSN = 0xSERIALHERE;
STRING CFG_ID_PON_OLT_TYPE = ADTRAN;
In order, it defines the vendor ID to send, the PON serial number, tells OMCI that OLT is an Adtran. This is all I needed to obtain connection.

I second this, when trying the SFP module disconnect the original ONT. Best case scenario it just will put offline the ONT, worst case scenario it will ban the serial or even send the port in shutdown.
x_term are you on the 3Gb service? Did you use the splitter to connect to the HiSense to be able to set this configuration?

So mine should be arriving in Sept. I am not sure whether to keep or not. On one side I have the 1Gb service which does not appear to need to clone the ONT SN so I could just tried it "as is" and see if it works. But I may be moving to the 3Gb service when my plan ends Feb 2024 and they remove my public IPv4. An alternative could be to stay on the same plan once it expires, pay the extra £2 for being on monthly payments and simply complain if they remove my public IPv4. I can claim I didn't change plans so they shouldn't change the conditions, I think someone else posted that they said that and CF put the public IPv4 on their line.

The people doing these modules should really be providing a UART interface and a cable so people can program these without having to have them with live optics. And it should be straight forward to do it, not needing new passwords and stupid things like that. As there is a demand and good money to be made I presume eventually they will sort it out...

Sorry folks, this experiment is over.
Good effort though. I'm hoping FS come round and answer this question:

Do you have a support contact you've already been in touch with? (if so can you nudge them on it?) I'd be curious what their stance on replacement/repairing your module is considering the device didn't let you in post change, and also their documentation tells you to solder pads.

The programmer is expensive but could be easy side-gig money to program these for people initially....

Good effort though. I'm hoping FS come round and answer this question:

Do you have a support contact you've already been in touch with? (if so can you nudge them on it?) I'd be curious what their stance on replacement/repairing your module is considering the device didn't let you in post change, and also their documentation tells you to solder pads.

The programmer is expensive but could be easy side-gig money to program these for people initially....
It would be tempting to reflash this with HiSense software.

x_term are you on the 3Gb service? Did you use the splitter to connect to the HiSense to be able to set this configuration?

Hey all. Been out of action last few days due to ill health, so catching up, I’m still waiting for my fibre optic splitter cable. Should be here Tuesday.

Not even sure I’ll even use it as from the feedback I received from Fs account manager and her talking to tech team, they’ve suggested I make the changes on the module first and then disconnect fibre from ONT and connect to the module. This is the point I was trying to make in an earlier comment, hearing mixed messages from FS.

Anyway I’m going to try the below and if it fails to work I’ll be returning my module, especially after seeing the amount effort and expense @XGS_Is_On has gone through (kudos to him), I haven’t got that much time but will try this from my side :

1) Change the serial number to the one that matches my CF ONT using /system/misc/eqsn set “ADTNxxxxxxxx”
*DONE*

2) Contact FS account manager to get new user name and password

*REQUSTED - Will get new password tomorrow*

3) Change the vendor ID using /system/misc>vdsl2_vendor set ADTN

4) Contact FS account manager to get new password

5) Await reply with new password and also hopefully get a reply to my mail to see if there is an equivalanet value on FS module, similar to one on Hisense module, i.e. STRING CFG_ID_PON_OLT_TYPE = ADTRAN; ---> This is the one I need a CLI command for to set on FS module

*Awaiting feedback, should hear back tomorrow as well*

6) if no equivalent value for PON_OLT_TYPE, I will just unplug the fibre from my ONT and plug into the module and see if I get any luck in connectivity. If no joy I too will be ending my efforts here.

7) if there is a command to change equivalent value for PON_OLT_TYPE then will apply the command for this value and request new password from FS

8) once receive password will login check all values present and then
unplug the fibre from my ONT and plug into the module and see if I get any luck with connectivity

Hey all. Been out of action last few days due to ill health, so catching up, I’m still waiting for my fibre optic splitter cable. Should be here Tuesday.

Not even sure I’ll even use it as from the feedback I received from Fs account manager and her talking to tech team, they’ve suggested I make the changes on the module first and then disconnect fibre from ONT and connect to the module. This is the point I was trying to make in an earlier comment, hearing mixed messages from FS.

Anyway I’m going to try the below and if it fails to work I’ll be returning my module, especially after seeing the amount effort and expense @XGS_Is_On has gone through (kudos to him), I haven’t got that much time but will try this from my side :

1) Change the serial number to the one that matches my CF ONT using /system/misc/eqsn set “ADTNxxxxxxxx”
*DONE*

2) Contact FS account manager to get new user name and password

*REQUSTED - Will get new password tomorrow*

3) Change the vendor ID using /system/misc>vdsl2_vendor set ADTN

4) Contact FS account manager to get new password

5) Await reply with new password and also hopefully get a reply to my mail to see if there is an equivalanet value on FS module, similar to one on Hisense module, i.e. STRING CFG_ID_PON_OLT_TYPE = ADTRAN; ---> This is the one I need a CLI command for to set on FS module

*Awaiting feedback, should hear back tomorrow as well*

6) if no equivalent value for PON_OLT_TYPE, I will just unplug the fibre from my ONT and plug into the module and see if I get any luck in connectivity. If no joy I too will be ending my efforts here.

7) if there is a command to change equivalent value for PON_OLT_TYPE then will apply the command for this value and request new password from FS

8) once receive password will login check all values present and then
unplug the fibre from my ONT and plug into the module and see if I get any luck with connectivity
That might well not work. I tried that and the module threw a fit, refused to send a serial to the OLT and wouldn't authenticate based on the new one.

Also: FS have no idea what they're talking about. Until the module is linked to an XGSPON network the SFP link is down. Kit doesn't route across links that are down.

I'm leaning more to SFP now.

At home I have a GPON ONU from Huawei which basically acts as a glorified fibre to ethernet converter for my router.

Though my friend was asking for some help setting up his own router to run as 'the router' instead of a second router behind the NAT of the ISPs router - however for newer connections the ISP has opted for XGS-PON instead of GPON. Whilst XGS-PON is backwards-compatible with GPON, it seems the ISP uses newer XGS-PON switches meaning the older GPON ONU's are no longer compatible.

It's very confusing and difficult to deal with as ISPs are not really willing (or their CS don't even know) how to achieve these niche things.

There doesn't seem to be *any* XGS-PON compatible ONU's out there which aren't already a router - so it seems SFP is the only way to go.

I am on 1Gb actually, the whole exercise was only for the compactness :)
And the fact that Adtran ONT stays stuck whenever a fault happens, as I have a job that makes me travel while I have a server with stuff at home... no good if something happens. Anyways, no I just disconnected really the old ONT and connected the SFP, luckily I don't have people complaining if I have to disconnect internet...
Await reply with new password and also hopefully get a reply to my mail to see if there is an equivalanet value on FS module, similar to one on Hisense module, i.e. STRING CFG_ID_PON_OLT_TYPE = ADTRAN; ---> This is the one I need a CLI command for to set on FS module
This might be a showstopper or not at all: in the HiSense firmware the OMCI daemon has the ability to emulate different ONT vendors and their custom MIBs (communication between ONT and OLT). In fact, my stick without that parameter doesn't get online, although it is very subtle in the way that ONT status says O5 (connected state, you have XGSPON network access) however no Ethernet channel is opened inside that and you won't get an IP address, see below the different output:
Screenshot_20230814_015403.png
Screenshot_20230814_015418.png

If the FS stick cannot satisfy the Adtran requests, it might not work. PON networks for now can be very plain and easy but also the demonstration of XKCD's idea of standards...

Whilst XGS-PON is backwards-compatible with GPON
It is not, or it is in the sense that the two technologies can coexist on a single strand of fibre, but optical equipment couldn't be more different (they use two different "frequencies" in fact to be able to coexist). There are indeed external ONTs, however as I say before PON vendors had to find a way to get paid more and developed plenty of ways to complicate exchanging parts.

I am on 1Gb actually, the whole exercise was only for the compactness :)
And the fact that Adtran ONT stays stuck whenever a fault happens, as I have a job that makes me travel while I have a server with stuff at home... no good if something happens. Anyways, no I just disconnected really the old ONT and connected the SFP, luckily I don't have people complaining if I have to disconnect internet...

This might be a showstopper or not at all: in the HiSense firmware the OMCI daemon has the ability to emulate different ONT vendors and their custom MIBs (communication between ONT and OLT). In fact, my stick without that parameter doesn't get online, although it is very subtle in the way that ONT status says O5 (connected state, you have XGSPON network access) however no Ethernet channel is opened inside that and you won't get an IP address, see below the different output:
View attachment 7780View attachment 7781
If the FS stick cannot satisfy the Adtran requests, it might not work. PON networks for now can be very plain and easy but also the demonstration of XKCD's idea of standards...

It is not, or it is in the sense that the two technologies can coexist on a single strand of fibre, but optical equipment couldn't be more different (they use two different "frequencies" in fact to be able to coexist). There are indeed external ONTs, however as I say before PON vendors had to find a way to get paid more and developed plenty of ways to complicate exchanging parts.
Then I think I am going to cancel the FS order and try to get the HiSense.

Then I think I am going to cancel the FS order and try to get the HiSense.

I've done the same today after trying with the additional steps I mentioned on a earlier post. The RMA was approved straight away and return label sent to ship out to UK branch of FS in Birmingham.

@x_term & @XGS_Is_On , you're right the stick could not satisfy any requests, no connection status at all, in fact I had the same symptom as @XGS_Is_On where by my module starting going nuts and kept rebooting. Also FS support came back with nothing for Hisense equivalent of CFG_ID_PON_OLT_TYPE = ADTRAN

Thank you all for support during this effort, looks like I'll also be looking to get the HiSense LTF7267A-BHA+

Cheers & thanks again

I would also like to get a LTF7267A-BHA+ myself :)
Any suggestion on where to get it? Or just the aforementioned alibaba one?

I would also like to get a LTF7267A-BHA+ myself :)
Any suggestion on where to get it? Or just the aforementioned alibaba one?

I'm using a contact to see if he can get them at all. If I can bulk order I will update this thread. Just waiting for him to get back to me.

The comments to FS carried on by the way. My answer to her comments in red, rest me.

BCC: CEO, UK's 4th alternative full fibre network who has been aware of this testing.

Hi Lexi,

1. For the OLT identification problem - This is caused by the ONU not being able to go online. -- I'm not sure I was clear. The ONU was sending no serial number to the OLT. The OLT and ONU were connected, they were sending and receiving fibre optic light, but the ONU wasn't sending any serial number. This is likely a software issue triggered by the changing of the serial number.
2. For the ONU login problem, when confirming that the modified SN is ADTN203xxxxx, the module cannot be logged in according to ADTN203xxxxx pxQHxxx - we thought there may be a coding problem. -- There is. You seem to be using a different value, the 'PON SN' to calculate the login credentials. This can only be obtained by accessing the module via console. Accessing the console is only possible by opening the case which voids the warranty, as there is no way to open the case other than to unfold the metal seal. Therefore, after changing the serial there is no way to access the module again from the customer.

The module was, in addition, defective and would've failed fairly rapidly. The thermal pad crumbled when I removed the metal case to attempt to access the console. The module would've overheated during use at some point as the pad wouldn't have transferred heat. Had I been able to access console I would've replaced the pad afterwards.

Your configuration guides on this aren't adequate, the functionality isn't adequate, the hardware is able to emulate Adtran and others and your supplier removed this capability. The software changes you've made to the XG-99S are pointless. The OEM module does not have the serial number issue, FS engineers caused that.

Your technical team do not seem familiar with this module. Another member of an online community asked for assistance, your team told them to configure the module then connect to fibre. The module cannot be configured unless by console unless it is connected to an XGSPON network. Modules with link down don't have data sent to them.

I've no idea why you would make the changes you have: either the module should be locked down so that it may only be managed via OMCI or you shouldn't make it more complex for no reason and ensure that making an allegedly supported configuration change will break it.

CA8271x/doc/Password.md at main · YuukiJapanTech/CA8271x · GitHub

If you're interested in how to improve the product I would recommend removing all your custom software. Better yet, don't use the XG-99S at all, speak with HiSense and OEM their superior hardware and software. It both doesn't lock customers out for having the temerity to change serial numbers and, most importantly, actually works with vendors that usually require their own ONUs: a huge advantage to anyone seeking to offer their customers a variety of options.

HiSense LTF7267-BHA+ | Hack GPON (hack-gpon.org)

With best regards,

Carl Thomas

Cheapest Superfast ISPs
  • Hyperoptic £17.99
    Speed 33Mbps, Unlimited
    Gift: None
  • UtilityWarehouse £19.99
    Speed 35Mbps, Unlimited (FUP)
  • NOW £23.00
    Speed 63Mbps, Unlimited
  • Vodafone £24.00
    Speed 73 - 82Mbps, Unlimited
  • Shell Energy £24.99
    Speed 38Mbps, Unlimited
Large Availability | View All
Cheapest Ultrafast ISPs
  • Gigaclear £17.00
    Speed: 200Mbps, Unlimited
  • Zzoomm £19.95
    Speed: 150Mbps, Unlimited
  • YouFibre £19.99
  • Community Fibre £20.00
  • BeFibre £21.00
    Gift: £25 Love2Shop Card
Large Availability | View All
Helpful ISP Guides and Tips
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
Sponsored Links
The Top 20 Category Tags
  1. FTTP (5385)
  2. BT (3490)
  3. Politics (2494)
  4. Openreach (2275)
  5. Business (2221)
  6. Building Digital UK (2215)
  7. FTTC (2038)
  8. Mobile Broadband (1940)
  9. Statistics (1763)
  10. 4G (1639)
  11. Virgin Media (1589)
  12. Ofcom Regulation (1438)
  13. FTTH (1379)
  14. Wireless Internet (1378)
  15. Fibre Optic (1375)
  16. 5G (1215)
  17. Vodafone (1126)
  18. EE (1111)
  19. TalkTalk (927)
  20. O2 (914)
Sponsored

Copyright © 1999 to Present - ISPreview.co.uk - All Rights Reserved - Terms  ,  Privacy and Cookie Policy  ,  Links  ,  Website Rules