Sponsored Links

Open Infra

Point-2-point fibre tends to be more common with those operators that make less use of PIA and I expect them to be PIA heavy with that rollout window, but that's far from a solid assessment. Guess we'll see soon enough.

Interesting, we've had very little detail about Open Infra and they're extremely new.

I note the mention of a deployment in NW7 above, but what postcode area are you talking about Sheepdog? I'm trying to figure out their build plan.

Also, is anybody willing to share one of their leaflets?
i have the deployment maps - send me a message and ill share

It appears some of the people behind the bought out peoples fibre are involved with open infra (mauritz ek)

Last edited:
As an update to this thread Open Infra have no started the process of installing the ONTs with street infrastructure to following in the coming weeks. Aiming to have 1st customers connected by end of June

I have received the mailshot this week for OpenInfra, along with the leaflet introducing them. They say the build will be in Autumn now (it was for Summer) but will be keeping an eye especially as it's a race between OpenInfra and Community Fibre for us

I have them, Openreach and Cityfibre all coming in the next couple of years so will have to make decision when current contract ends next year

Interesting, we've had very little detail about Open Infra and they're extremely new.

I note the mention of a deployment in NW7 above, but what postcode area are you talking about Sheepdog? I'm trying to figure out their build plan.

Also, is anybody willing to share one of their leaflets?
Hi MarkJ - I've attached the letter from OpenInfra covering Barnet (North London / EN4) I've signed up as there is no commitment HOWEVER I'm not sure about finding a ISP - at present with BT!! Openreach will not commit to a date locally

Attachments

• OpenInfra Barnet.pdf
    104.9 KB · Views: 315
Sponsored Links
Hi MarkJ - I've attached the letter from OpenInfra covering Barnet (North London / EN4) I've signed up as there is no commitment HOWEVER I'm not sure about finding a ISP - at present with BT!! Openreach will not commit to a date locally
Interesting from the perspective that they are seeking a 40% commitment. Possibly over optimistic from a relative unknown player.

Also the discounted “all paid for up-front” package alternatives aren’t typical.

is openinfra a differnet builder compare to openreach? im with openreach fttp but those prices look better, im in Barnet to

They're a bit of an odd operator. The UK site still spells fibre as "fiber", while their ISP puts commas instead of periods in its pricing (European approach), and their announcement in September 2022 of having connected the first customers to their service didn't say where that occurred ("a bit north of London" is not enough). I think they need to improve their presentation and communication a bit.

I have recently started my service with Open Infra and getting really good speeds. They do have a sell 1st model which may not suit everyone however given where I live in Barnet is not due to get any type of FTTP upgrade for at least 6 years (according to their maps) this is a fantastic alternative!

I cant upload screenshot but I am getting 900/900 service vs my Openreach FTTC which is 14/0.5

For general info, 1st connections are in Mill Hill NW7 and they are moving towards Barnet Gate and Whetstone and I belive parts of Cockfosters and East Barnet.

Sponsored Links
I have recently started my service with Open Infra and getting really good speeds. They do have a sell 1st model which may not suit everyone however given where I live in Barnet is not due to get any type of FTTP upgrade for at least 6 years (according to their maps) this is a fantastic alternative!

I cant upload screenshot but I am getting 900/900 service vs my Openreach FTTC which is 14/0.5

For general info, 1st connections are in Mill Hill NW7 and they are moving towards Barnet Gate and Whetstone and I belive parts of Cockfosters and East Barnet.
Hey can you share how openinfra have been for you?
We have had signs go up for openinfra saying fibre on the way but no letters or leaflets of any kind.
A fibre cable has been terminated in my block of flats in the telecoms cupboard, but I am not sure if it is openinfra or someone else. I am in nw7.

Hey can you share how openinfra have been for you?
We have had signs go up for openinfra saying fibre on the way but no letters or leaflets of any kind.
A fibre cable has been terminated in my block of flats in the telecoms cupboard, but I am not sure if it is openinfra or someone else. I am in nw7.
Honestly no complaints at all. I am in Phase 2 which meant about 11months from initial sales call to complete connection, I belive that the timlines are now shorter for new connections as they have the cabinet and backbones of the network set up. Biggest issue in Barnet is clearing blockages to run cables.

From a service perspective all been great. A couple of drops which were network related and resolved in less that 12 min but other than that cant complain at all.

I am getting 900/900 on a wired connection and that doesn't flux at all.

Just had a letter through from OpenInfra (Mays Lane, EN5 part of Barnet) - according to the small print, looks like they want 30% of the street to sign-up before they build - might be tough given I suspect most people probably already think they have fibre.

Only FTTC options at the moment.

Wondering if anyone else has a view of whether the build actually came about based on sign-ups or not?

Open Infra has confirmed to me that they will start building in Colchester CO3 area at Q1 2024.

They have had a lot of sign ups, mail shots back in October, a community meeting in November and a lot of signs have been placed in peoples front gardens - especially down the end of my street. I guess people have been frustrated by the VM monopoly in this part of Colchester.

The ISP they'll be using is Colchester Fibre it seems and not Optyx Broadband.

Following my post here last week:

an engineer turned up today to install the inside/outside boxes and ran the fibre to the outside box so we're just waiting for the service to go live in this area (EN4 Barnet) and then they'll send us the router. Was told last week that it should (apparently although I'm not holding my breath) be around the end of this week...

Following my post here last week:

an engineer turned up today to install the inside/outside boxes and ran the fibre to the outside box so we're just waiting for the service to go live in this area (EN4 Barnet) and then they'll send us the router. Was told last week that it should (apparently although I'm not holding my breath) be around the end of this week...
what ONT did you get? im assuming its a XGS 10gb ONT ?

what ONT did you get? im assuming its a XGS 10gb ONT ?
No, they installed a Nokia G-240G-E so for anything faster than 1Gbps, they'd need to replace the box. They also ran the fibre to the outside box today.

The engineer didn't know about when the service will go live. He said that we needed to monitor ourselves (!) the ONT and when there are two green lights, tell them and then they'd turn up with a router!

No, they installed a Nokia G-240G-E so for anything faster than 1Gbps, they'd need to replace the box. They also ran the fibre to the outside box today.

The engineer didn't know about when the service will go live. He said that we needed to monitor ourselves (!) the ONT and when there are two green lights, tell them and then they'd turn up with a router!
thats a 4 port ont? weird

Cheap BIG ISPs for 100Mbps+
Community Fibre UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
Gift: None
Virgin Media UK ISP Logo
Virgin Media £26.00
132Mbps
Shell Energy UK ISP Logo
Shell Energy £26.99
109Mbps
Plusnet UK ISP Logo
Plusnet £27.99
145Mbps
Zen Internet UK ISP Logo
Zen Internet £28.00 - 35.00
100Mbps
Large Availability | View All
Cheapest ISPs for 100Mbps+
Gigaclear UK ISP Logo
Gigaclear £17.00
200Mbps
YouFibre UK ISP Logo
YouFibre £19.99
150Mbps
Community Fibre UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
BeFibre UK ISP Logo
BeFibre £21.00
150Mbps
Gift: £25 Love2Shop Card
Hey! Broadband UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
Large Availability | View All

Helpful ISP Guides and Tips

Sponsored Links
The Top 15 Category Tags
  1. FTTP (5513)
  2. BT (3514)
  3. Politics (2535)
  4. Openreach (2297)
  5. Business (2261)
  6. Building Digital UK (2243)
  7. FTTC (2043)
  8. Mobile Broadband (1972)
  9. Statistics (1788)
  10. 4G (1663)
  11. Virgin Media (1619)
  12. Ofcom Regulation (1460)
  13. Fibre Optic (1394)
  14. Wireless Internet (1389)
  15. FTTH (1381)
Sponsored

Copyright © 1999 to Present - ISPreview.co.uk - All Rights Reserved - Terms  ,  Privacy and Cookie Policy  ,  Links  ,  Website Rules