Sponsored Links

Openreach dangling the perpetual carrot

Brumski

ULTIMATE Member
Mark if you have any contacts I'd be ever so grateful for confirmation of clarification.

You may recall I posted recently regarding the Barratt Homes/David Wilson development we moved onto in 2017 where we'd been misled about the provision of FTTP. I won't rehash that here suffice to say that for the last four years circa 200 homes have been served by FTTC(VDSL) from a DSLAM/Cab over a mile away - a first world problem I know but not ideal either.

As a result, when periodically checking the Openreach fibre availability checker last spring I was pleased to see that it had changed and confirmed that they had started the rollout of "Ultrafast Full Fibre broadband" in our area.

I used the Fibre Enquiry form at the time and a few days later received confirmation from the "Fibre Enquiries Team / sifibreenquiriesmop" that we were indeed part of the FTTP rollout plan and we had a tentative 'available to order' date of June 2020.

Unfortunately, due in no small part to COVID, this was pushed back to September 2020, then Christmas 2020, and more recently Spring 2021. We've seen some activity on the development of late however very intermittently but I don't think it was more than Openreach lifting the JF4's and checking the ductwork.

I've just submitted my latest enquiry to the Fibre Enquiries Team and they are now stating an available to order date of "April 2022".

Without wishing to sound impatient one side effect of the date being pushed back over and over again is it makes life difficult for residents who may wish to change CPs to take advantage of offers and/or cost savings. After all if you'd been told FTTP would be available to order within a few months you're not likely to sign up with another ISP on a 12-month contract to save a few quid when you could stick with your current provider for another month or two and then switch to FTTP. As a result, countless households have adopted the "We'll just wait a few more months" approach but that few more months never materialises.

@Mark.J - If you have any contacts to clarify this with I would be extremely grateful.

If you go with Zen then they will migrate you FTTC to FTTP mid contract with no penalty, there will be other ISP's that do the same.

If you go with Zen then they will migrate you FTTC to FTTP mid contract with no penalty, there will be other ISP's that do the same.

You make a good point and I recently moved to SoGEA with Idnet on a rolling 30-day contract to enable me to be flexible and agile should FTTP materialise.

It would still be beneficial, if possible, to ascertain a realistic date too.

Sponsored Links
Just received confirmation that "April 2022" wasn't a typo and our rollout has been pushed back at least another 12 months.

Very disappointing considering we were originally told it would be installed and available to order last June.

We'll probably get to March 2022 and they'll push it back to 2029. Starlink here I come!

Cheap BIG ISPs for 100Mbps+
Community Fibre UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
Gift: None
Virgin Media UK ISP Logo
Virgin Media £24.00
132Mbps
Shell Energy UK ISP Logo
Shell Energy £26.99
109Mbps
Plusnet UK ISP Logo
Plusnet £27.99
145Mbps
Zen Internet UK ISP Logo
Zen Internet £28.00 - 35.00
100Mbps
Large Availability | View All
Cheapest ISPs for 100Mbps+
Gigaclear UK ISP Logo
Gigaclear £15.00
150Mbps
YouFibre UK ISP Logo
YouFibre £19.99
150Mbps
Community Fibre UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
BeFibre UK ISP Logo
BeFibre £21.00
150Mbps
Gift: £25 Love2Shop Card
Hey! Broadband UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
Large Availability | View All
Sponsored Links
The Top 15 Category Tags
  1. FTTP (5470)
  2. BT (3505)
  3. Politics (2524)
  4. Openreach (2290)
  5. Business (2251)
  6. Building Digital UK (2234)
  7. FTTC (2041)
  8. Mobile Broadband (1961)
  9. Statistics (1778)
  10. 4G (1654)
  11. Virgin Media (1608)
  12. Ofcom Regulation (1451)
  13. Fibre Optic (1392)
  14. Wireless Internet (1386)
  15. FTTH (1381)
Sponsored

Copyright © 1999 to Present - ISPreview.co.uk - All Rights Reserved - Terms  ,  Privacy and Cookie Policy  ,  Links  ,  Website Rules