Sponsored Links

OpenReach FTTP finally coming to my area

Hey guys, I got a leaflet early last december about OpenReach stating they would like to check who wants fibre installed to their houses as they are planning to start deploying it, that meant I had to register interest with them to allow them to survey the ductings leading to my house to confirm the feasibility.

A private company (subscontractor) called Installbase or something like that pop up today and they checked all the ducts around the houses the showed any interest, one of the guys mentioned that they believe a fibre cable has already been pulled into the road, so my understanding is that the next step would not take long?

I've been suffering for years of poor FTTC service, tried to get FTTPod and even a leased lined shared among other residents so I can't be happier that this is finally taking shape.

I now wonder, from this initial survey to actually OpenReach coming to install the service, are we 3, 6,12 months away from getting it? I've no idea how long they would be taking after this initial survey.

Fingers crossed it doesn't take another year...

It's unusual for Openreach to be seeking "interest" from the local area, as they normally just build it without much end-user engagement. I suspect what may be happening here is that you could be covered as an indirect benefit from somebody else's project under a USO, FTTPoD or Community Fibre Partnership scheme.

But it often takes a while for those to reach completion, so on the question of timescale.. always take the longest wait as the likely outcome :). It might also be worth keeping an eye on the one.network website, although this won't display all the work that may need doing.

We had an initial duct inspection on the 2nd of March 2021, with service becoming available for order on the 5th of November 2021.

Sponsored Links
It's unusual for Openreach to be seeking "interest" from the local area, as they normally just build it without much end-user engagement. I suspect what may be happening here is that you could be covered as an indirect benefit from somebody else's project under a USO, FTTPoD or Community Fibre Partnership scheme.

But it often takes a while for those to reach completion, so on the question of timescale.. always take the longest wait as the likely outcome :). It might also be worth keeping an eye on the one.network website, although this won't display all the work that may need doing.

We live in a close, with a block of flats in the middle that was in the plan to be covered by the 4th utility, but they were not going to cover the houses the surround the block of flats. I was battling with them trying to convince to extend to the houses but I had no positive response. I guess that is the reason then.

I wonder what kind of connectivity do they get to the area, a 10gbit link from OpenReach I guess? Then a smaller cabinet to redistribute the service as OR to the houses, and another for this 4th utility company to provide a service like hyper optic does via copper (cat5/6) to the flats?

@Alex_UK I find it rather odd for Openreach Leaflet - "Hey guys, I got a leaflet early last december about OpenReach stating they would like to check who wants fibre installed to their houses".

I don't think Openreach never do this! Can you post screenshot please

@Alex_UK I find it rather odd for Openreach Leaflet - "Hey guys, I got a leaflet early last december about OpenReach stating they would like to check who wants fibre installed to their houses".

I don't think Openreach never do this! Can you post screenshot please

Attachments

• 264098549_10159850613279629_372730416858194509_n.jpg
    264098549_10159850613279629_372730416858194509_n.jpg
    91.7 KB · Views: 179
Sponsored Links
That's preparatory rodding-and-roping of existing ducts, and it's a common practice.

They ask permission because they have to cross onto your property to do it (to tie up the rope at the far end).

Cheap BIG ISPs for 100Mbps+
Community Fibre UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
Gift: None
Virgin Media UK ISP Logo
Virgin Media £24.00
132Mbps
Shell Energy UK ISP Logo
Shell Energy £26.99
109Mbps
Plusnet UK ISP Logo
Plusnet £27.99
145Mbps
Zen Internet UK ISP Logo
Zen Internet £28.00 - 35.00
100Mbps
Large Availability | View All
Cheapest ISPs for 100Mbps+
Gigaclear UK ISP Logo
Gigaclear £15.00
150Mbps
YouFibre UK ISP Logo
YouFibre £19.99
150Mbps
Community Fibre UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
BeFibre UK ISP Logo
BeFibre £21.00
150Mbps
Gift: £25 Love2Shop Card
Hey! Broadband UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
Large Availability | View All

Helpful ISP Guides and Tips

Sponsored Links
The Top 15 Category Tags
  1. FTTP (5473)
  2. BT (3505)
  3. Politics (2525)
  4. Openreach (2291)
  5. Business (2251)
  6. Building Digital UK (2234)
  7. FTTC (2041)
  8. Mobile Broadband (1961)
  9. Statistics (1780)
  10. 4G (1654)
  11. Virgin Media (1608)
  12. Ofcom Regulation (1451)
  13. Fibre Optic (1392)
  14. Wireless Internet (1386)
  15. FTTH (1381)
Sponsored

Copyright © 1999 to Present - ISPreview.co.uk - All Rights Reserved - Terms  ,  Privacy and Cookie Policy  ,  Links  ,  Website Rules