Sponsored

Openreach FTTP - Houses Missed - Advice Needed

LewisW296

Good Evening,
To give some background on the situation...
I live on a new-build estate in South Wales. Originally, we were left on copper connections due to the Developer messing up their communications with Openreach. This was back in 2017/18. A few months ago, Openreach appeared en masse and began doing work in the manholes which, after a quick query with them, revealed they were installing FTTP to all properties on the estate. Skip forward a few months (basically the beginning of November) and our neighbours were informed they could now place orders for WBC FTTP.

My emails to Openreach have been met with both "Not in our plans" and "forwarded to an internal team". I have now not heard from them for nearly 6 weeks. The majority of this estate has now got FTTP installed & working with their ISPs.

My partner was able to speak to one of the engineers (a contractor, unknown company) who installed our neighbours new FTTP yesterday and they looked into the manhole in which my house and 4 others are connected. This revealed there was no CBT equipment in the hole, just copper wire connections. He simply could not understand why.

I spoke with my neigbour who confirmed to me that he had seen Openreach (during their initial work) go into that manhole several times but he could not confirm what they were doing. Ultimately, we just assumed it was the same as the rest of the estate.

So my first question would be this;

Would CBT equipment of been installed on that first pass of work or would another team of been contracted to fit it afterwards? Am I simply being impatient and overanxious?

It seems to me, that Openreach have either forgotten that manhole or elected not to install any equipment into it. In terms of speaking to our ISP, that's a complicated situation involving 4G internet with EE who have already said before "Don't ask for our help with that equipment as it's not what our SIMs are for" and our Sky contract is a rolling one as we were expecting the FTTP. As such, Sky will not offer any support.

How should I go about proceeding to get Openreach to investigate and install the FTTP they've given elsewhere on the estate? As for location of the exchange, it is approximately 200/300m away.

Any advice would be really appreciated.

Meatball

Top Member
Centralised departments and databases simply show whether your post code/premises is available based on the current records. There may be many explanations such as you are to be fed from another CBT in an adjacent street and the records are wrong or they simply got to the budget limit and your houses required more than just a dist fibre and CBT.

What prompted Openreach's return so soon after FTTC. Is it a OR FTTP rollout?.

I assume you have checked https://www.openreach.com/fibre-broadband/where-when-building-ultrafast-full-fibre-broadband if you are in an area proposed to be covered then it is a mistake they may return.

LewisW296

Centralised departments and databases simply show whether your post code/premises is available based on the current records. There may be many explanations such as you are to be fed from another CBT in an adjacent street and the records are wrong or they simply got to the budget limit and your houses required more than just a dist fibre and CBT.

What prompted Openreach's return so soon after FTTC. Is it a OR FTTP rollout?.

I assume you have checked https://www.openreach.com/fibre-broadband/where-when-building-ultrafast-full-fibre-broadband if you are in an area proposed to be covered then it is a mistake they may return.
Hi there,

The estate is completely new. As far as I know, each manhole was to be equipped with its own CBT as as ducts and pits are new and presumably fed through existing infrastructure on the feeder road (which existing before the estate with residences on it).

OR did not install FTTC on this estate in any form. The entire estate has been copper wire connections.

The village we are in is listed in the Ultrafast rollout with a 2025 completion being the target. However, our estate was built without fibre so the estate has been done first with only some minor works elsewhere.

Brumski

Pro Member
Your situation is not unique and mirrors mine. New(ish) estate, Openreach install FTTP to part of it and then stop.

I'd love to give you some assurances but Openreach is a law unto itself. If your village is listed in the ultrafast rollout for 2025 that's some comfort but it's not going to be as simple as "hey you forgot a few CBTs, would you mind popping back" unfortunately.

As for why they've stopped the rollout, it could be issues with the headend exchange (your local exchange is irrelevant for FTTP), spine issues, OLT issues ducting issues further down the chain, financial constraints - the list is endless.

You could persist with Openreach but as you've already discovered their communication isn't great. Maybe @Mark.J Can take a look for you.

Best of luck!

LewisW296

Your situation is not unique and mirrors mine. New(ish) estate, Openreach install FTTP to part of it and then stop.

I'd love to give you some assurances but Openreach is a law unto itself. If your village is listed in the ultrafast rollout for 2025 that's some comfort but it's not going to be as simple as "hey you forgot a few CBTs, would you mind popping back" unfortunately.

As for why they've stopped the rollout, it could be issues with the headend exchange (your local exchange is irrelevant for FTTP), spine issues, OLT issues ducting issues further down the chain, financial constraints - the list is endless.

You could persist with Openreach but as you've already discovered their communication isn't great. Maybe @Mark.J Can take a look for you.

Best of luck!
Well I tried going down the route of bugging them on social media in a hope of getting them to reply. Nada.

On a side note, I also tried going through my ISP (Sky) who, whilst helpful on the 3rd person, was unable to do anything their end. Admittedly, I was quite depressed by this but apparently they "can only use existing infrastructure and have no say in the rollout" but allegedly, they also cannot see that my neighbours are connected currently as the OR database isn't showing them as upgraded yet.

Promotion
Cheapest Superfast ISPs
  • Vodafone £19.50 (*22.50)
    Speed 38Mbps, Unlimited
    Gift: None
  • NOW £20.00 (*32.00)
    Speed 36Mbps, Unlimited
  • Hyperoptic £20.00 (*25.00)
    Speed 50Mbps, Unlimited
    Gift: Promo Code: ROKUGIFT
  • TalkTalk £21.00 (*29.95)
    Speed 38Mbps, Unlimited
  • Shell Energy £21.99 (*30.99)
    Speed 35Mbps, Unlimited
Large Availability | View All
Cheapest Ultrafast ISPs
  • Vodafone £23.50 (*26.50)
    Speed: 100Mbps, Unlimited
  • Gigaclear £24.00 (*49.00)
    Speed: 300Mbps, Unlimited
  • Hyperoptic £25.00 (*35.00)
    Speed: 150Mbps, Unlimited
    Gift: Promo Code: ROKUGIFT
  • Community Fibre £27.50 (*32.50)
    Speed: 200Mbps, Unlimited
    Gift: First 6 Months Free
  • Virgin Media £28.00 (*52.00)
    Speed: 108Mbps, Unlimited
Large Availability | View All
Helpful ISP Guides and Tips
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
Promotion
The Top 20 Category Tags
  1. FTTP (3669)
  2. BT (3044)
  3. Politics (1975)
  4. Building Digital UK (1945)
  5. FTTC (1897)
  6. Openreach (1862)
  7. Business (1717)
  8. Mobile Broadband (1501)
  9. Statistics (1430)
  10. FTTH (1367)
  11. 4G (1295)
  12. Virgin Media (1196)
  13. Fibre Optic (1184)
  14. Wireless Internet (1176)
  15. Ofcom Regulation (1167)
  16. Vodafone (859)
  17. EE (845)
  18. 5G (792)
  19. TalkTalk (781)
  20. Sky Broadband (757)
Sponsored

Copyright © 1999 to Present - ISPreview.co.uk - All Rights Reserved - Terms  ,  Privacy and Cookie Policy  ,  Links  ,  Website Rules