Sponsored Links

Openreach FTTP - Stuck with BT

miltonbeans

Hi I moved to a newly build home 18months ago based around North Milton Keynes. Until before 3 months of moving in there was no live connection on the FTTP that was installed by OpenReach. The only option I had was going for BT as there were no other service providing FTTP internet on OpenReach fibre. 14 months on I am still on BT paying £52.99/month for 70/20 mbps.

Does anyone else have similar experience?

BT didn't offer much after haggling as I guess they know I have no other options.

There are various ISPs offering FTTP on Openreach's network, such as Zen Internet, iDNET, Cerberus Networks, AAISP, Freeola and so forth. We actually lists the network support directly on our ISP listings page for ultrafast broadband providers:

Sponsored Links
Hi I work for Openreach, if your on 70/20 that means you don’t have FTTP which is Fibre To The Premises which is a full fibre blown cable to your property. What you have is FTTC which is Fibre To The Cabinet which is where a full fibre optic cable to the cabinet then a copper cable to your property. The most likely reason for only being able to be provided with BT is that the cables presence is not been updated so service providers cannot see there is a physical cable there. This usually doesn’t take long but can be a short term issue on odd occasion. Unfortunately until this has been resolved you will have to stick with BT. Also as it’s a new build estate if a new PCP (green cabinet) has been installed it will most likely be equipped with GFast technology which can provide up to 330mbps providing your cable length back to the cabinet is under 300m

No they are not stuck with BT, any provider can supply them.

Also a FTTP connection can be limited to 80/20 that is up to the ISP

Hi I work for Openreach, if your on 70/20 that means you don’t have FTTP which is Fibre To The Premises which is a full fibre blown cable to your property. What you have is FTTC which is Fibre To The Cabinet which is where a full fibre optic cable to the cabinet then a copper cable to your property. The most likely reason for only being able to be provided with BT is that the cables presence is not been updated so service providers cannot see there is a physical cable there. This usually doesn’t take long but can be a short term issue on odd occasion. Unfortunately until this has been resolved you will have to stick with BT. Also as it’s a new build estate if a new PCP (green cabinet) has been installed it will most likely be equipped with GFast technology which can provide up to 330mbps providing your cable length back to the cabinet is under 300m

Actually Aquiss is doing such a FTTP profile package

I know Aquiss are supplying FTTP at the slower speeds as not everyone wants the max they want affordable internet but cannot get FTTC. As for G.Fast what a lot of BS I can see my cabinet within the distance BT openreach said but G.Fast is not available as it is slower than my FTTC.

Kind of upsets me that a Openreach engineer would post saying that the only option for FTTP is to go to BT for the connection, even if he means BT OR and not BT Retail (which I guess he means). Theres other FTTP providers for the "last mile", I have heard many times a OR engineer say go to BT to get the fault fixed.

If BT Retail can supply it then ANY OTHER Provider can it just depends on what they want to, FTTP can be limited to any Package the ISP wants to offer.

/Endrant

Sponsored Links
I took the 70/20 remark to mean that if the customer is not getting max sync speed on the 80/20 profile then they're probably still on FTTC and not FTTP, even though FTTP lines are still susceptible to capacity issues that may slow them down.

Note to Astro2505, if you are an OR engineer then you need to be confirmed as a representative for that company via an official email. Please drop me a mail, thanks.

Hi I work for Openreach, if your on 70/20 that means you don’t have FTTP which is Fibre To The Premises which is a full fibre blown cable to your property. What you have is FTTC which is Fibre To The Cabinet which is where a full fibre optic cable to the cabinet then a copper cable to your property.

I gave up reading at that point. If you do work for Openreach, I would book yourself in for some retraining. God help us if you are out doing one of our jobs!

Hi I work for Openreach, if your on 70/20 that means you don’t have FTTP which is Fibre To The Premises which is a full fibre blown cable to your property.
1) Its possible the OP is on a 80/20 FTTP line
2) By "70/20" he/she is most likely referring to the actual throughput rather than sync speed.
3) Do you really work for Openreach? 🤣

I had 80/20 FTTP on a previous new build I was living 4 years ago, back then the only ISP was BT retail, then soon afterwards Zen came in with their FTTP package as also many others.

The only thing that can affect the availability is to check if it is a market B cabinet as the guys from ICUK explained me, if that is the case BT charges a lot more for the service because there is no competitors for the service in that cabinet/exchange. I could be wrong saying market B, it could be Market A or C, I don't remember exactly now the naming.

Sponsored Links
Cheap BIG ISPs for 100Mbps+
Community Fibre UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
Gift: None
Virgin Media UK ISP Logo
Virgin Media £24.00
132Mbps
Shell Energy UK ISP Logo
Shell Energy £26.99
109Mbps
Plusnet UK ISP Logo
Plusnet £27.99
145Mbps
Zen Internet UK ISP Logo
Zen Internet £28.00 - 35.00
100Mbps
Large Availability | View All
Cheapest ISPs for 100Mbps+
Gigaclear UK ISP Logo
Gigaclear £15.00
150Mbps
YouFibre UK ISP Logo
YouFibre £19.99
150Mbps
Community Fibre UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
BeFibre UK ISP Logo
BeFibre £21.00
150Mbps
Gift: £25 Love2Shop Card
Hey! Broadband UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
Large Availability | View All

Helpful ISP Guides and Tips

Sponsored Links
The Top 15 Category Tags
  1. FTTP (5473)
  2. BT (3505)
  3. Politics (2525)
  4. Openreach (2291)
  5. Business (2251)
  6. Building Digital UK (2234)
  7. FTTC (2041)
  8. Mobile Broadband (1961)
  9. Statistics (1780)
  10. 4G (1654)
  11. Virgin Media (1608)
  12. Ofcom Regulation (1451)
  13. Fibre Optic (1392)
  14. Wireless Internet (1386)
  15. FTTH (1381)
Sponsored

Copyright © 1999 to Present - ISPreview.co.uk - All Rights Reserved - Terms  ,  Privacy and Cookie Policy  ,  Links  ,  Website Rules