Sponsored Links

Openreach Installation Question

mutneylef

Casual Member
Hi,

I was on our regular lockdown walk today when I saw two engineers installing fibre in the road next to mine (ours is the main "spine road" on the estate").

I had a chat with them ,but they couldn't really tell me anymore than it was an installation for the estate and that they had been subcontracted by Openreach.

I've had a look on the Openreach wholesale website but it still says that the best we can get is Fibre on Demand.

Is there anywhere I can find anymore information, or is it just a case of keeping checking the website? I am in Silsoe, Bedfordshire, if that's of any help?

Thanks

Silsoe appears not to be on the current OR Market Towns and Villages list nor on the Fibre First. Therefore I would assume it may be new build in Silsoe such as Hayfield Place or Newbury Lane.

Thanks for the reply.

Our estate isn't new, it's ~seven years old. They were installing on Plantation View.

I specifically asked if they were adding the fibre for a private installation or to beenfit the estate and they indicated it was the later.

Sponsored Links
To be fair Openreach often starts deployments in an area before they formally announce them as being part of their rollout, so it's plausible that you might still be part of the next batch of locations. The key thing to look for is whether the engineers are running fibre either along the local poles (if you have any) or digging trenches into the pavements with toby boxes outside each home. The latter is almost certainly for FTTP.

Thanks for the response, that's really positive.

They were pulling the fibre lines through already installed underground conduit which have access panels/cover in the pavement every 5-10 houses.

Hopefully it won't be too long until I see something on the BT website

Keep a look out to see if they install Connectorised Block Terminals (CBTs) in the footway boxes, like this one:

from this article:

Sometimes they also rod+rope the ducts from the footway box to each property (which is a very strong sign), although they may also leave it until the time someone orders service.

Sponsored Links
I don't want to dash your hopes but this could be just FTTP to the School or Sports Centre as part of wider projects to link public buildings and schools.

Bit of an update:

The road that I saw them running the fibre on now has fttp available, but my road, which is the main road into the estate, doesn't.

This seems really odd to me - how did they run the fibre to the branch road without running it down the trunk road?

Last edited:
Cheap BIG ISPs for 100Mbps+
Community Fibre UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
Gift: None
Virgin Media UK ISP Logo
Virgin Media £24.00
132Mbps
Shell Energy UK ISP Logo
Shell Energy £26.99
109Mbps
Plusnet UK ISP Logo
Plusnet £27.99
145Mbps
Zen Internet UK ISP Logo
Zen Internet £28.00 - 35.00
100Mbps
Large Availability | View All
Cheapest ISPs for 100Mbps+
Gigaclear UK ISP Logo
Gigaclear £15.00
150Mbps
YouFibre UK ISP Logo
YouFibre £19.99
150Mbps
Community Fibre UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
BeFibre UK ISP Logo
BeFibre £21.00
150Mbps
Gift: £25 Love2Shop Card
Hey! Broadband UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
Large Availability | View All
Sponsored Links
The Top 15 Category Tags
  1. FTTP (5472)
  2. BT (3505)
  3. Politics (2524)
  4. Openreach (2291)
  5. Business (2251)
  6. Building Digital UK (2234)
  7. FTTC (2041)
  8. Mobile Broadband (1961)
  9. Statistics (1778)
  10. 4G (1654)
  11. Virgin Media (1608)
  12. Ofcom Regulation (1451)
  13. Fibre Optic (1392)
  14. Wireless Internet (1386)
  15. FTTH (1381)
Sponsored

Copyright © 1999 to Present - ISPreview.co.uk - All Rights Reserved - Terms  ,  Privacy and Cookie Policy  ,  Links  ,  Website Rules