Sponsored Links

Openreach Postcode checker and Fibre First map

Does anyone know when the above will be updated following their announcement a few weeks ago?

My exchange was announced as now in scope on the pdf document, but their website checker and map tool still lags behind.

Just because an exchange is on the list does not mean to say that 100% of premises within that exchange area will be covered with FTTP, indeed this can vary quite significantly from location to location and often evolves over time. But I'll check with Openreach to see if I can find out their policy on the forward rural plan vs fibre checker.

It would help to know what exchange this is?

Sponsored Links
Looks like the Openreach site now displays the new map on the Fibre first pages - but the postcode checker doesn’t seem to have been updated to align yet

Crazy looking at Northern Ireland. Must be a sweetheart agreement or a technical reason - they have nearly 70% FTTP availability and just look at the WIP on that map!!

Otherwise, Bristol, South & North Wales, Essex & Prestwick are priority areas.

Sponsored Links
looking at the maps from above, the legend has significantly changed . the purple is now saying built by 2024 , thats madness given that last month , it implied work had already started . !

Thank you so much @SlimJ for that map link. Much better view of areas and likely build times etc... I know it's still to be taken with a grain of salt but still very helpful.

Looking like a long wait of up to December 2026 for me in Essex sadly (South Woodham Ferrers). It'll be worth the wait!

looking at the maps from above, the legend has significantly changed . the purple is now saying built by 2024 , thats madness given that last month , it implied work had already started . !

Not sure I see the issue with this. If work has already started in your area then it's likely to be completed by (or before) 2024.

I would imagine the work speed will pick up over the coming months also, based on the huge number of areas now on the list to be completed by December 2026!

Not sure I see the issue with this. If work has already started in your area then it's likely to be completed by (or before) 2024.

I would imagine the work speed will pick up over the coming months also, based on the huge number of areas now on the list to be completed by December 2026!
2 years to put down some fibre. The company i work for can build a million square datacentre in less time . !

Sponsored Links
2 years to put down some fibre. The company i work for can build a million square datacentre in less time . !

Nice. Not sure how this compares really. I could build a house in less time also?! So...

Guess your company should do the rollout instead. ;)

@Pingman777 Logistically it is a lot more complex than just putting down some fibre. You've got to plan the splitting of the network appropriately as well as handling traffic management for duct work, etc. That's just for the spine sections - once you get down to the street level you can find that a lot of areas built pre-90s were done with direct-bury copper which means either digging up pavements/roads or siting new poles and going overhead.

Having been working on plans for this sort of thing ourselves over the last six months, I can confirm that it really can take two years or more to complete this sort of build.

Honestly, my advice is don't check it. Don't subject yourself to the mental anguish of wondering why openreach are pulling fibres in your town and yet it says they have no plans to bring fibre to your area, or why it doesn't show you on the fibre first map.

I'm super excited for FTTP and they've just within the last 3 weeks started their rollout in my town and within the last few days i've even seen the vans going up and down my road, pulling out nodes, playing with fibre casettes etc ... but until about a week ago the fibre first map said nothing about my area. It now shows as build in progress after 3 weeks of actually doing it.

They seem slow to update. Openreach still tells me if I put my address into fibre first that they have "no plans" to bring fibre to my area, despite me being within the build area and even having two of their vans down my street.

I wouldn't rely at all on what their public website says about build progress. I've resigned myself to checking just once per week on the broadband availability checker website to see if I can actually get FTTP yet or not. It still says "FTTP is not available" despite them having pulled fibres right up my street recently.

Cheap BIG ISPs for 100Mbps+
Community Fibre UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
Gift: None
Virgin Media UK ISP Logo
Virgin Media £24.00
132Mbps
Shell Energy UK ISP Logo
Shell Energy £26.99
109Mbps
Plusnet UK ISP Logo
Plusnet £27.99
145Mbps
Zen Internet UK ISP Logo
Zen Internet £28.00 - 35.00
100Mbps
Large Availability | View All
Cheapest ISPs for 100Mbps+
Gigaclear UK ISP Logo
Gigaclear £15.00
150Mbps
YouFibre UK ISP Logo
YouFibre £19.99
150Mbps
Community Fibre UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
BeFibre UK ISP Logo
BeFibre £21.00
150Mbps
Gift: £25 Love2Shop Card
Hey! Broadband UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
Large Availability | View All

Helpful ISP Guides and Tips

Sponsored Links
The Top 15 Category Tags
  1. FTTP (5473)
  2. BT (3505)
  3. Politics (2525)
  4. Openreach (2291)
  5. Business (2251)
  6. Building Digital UK (2234)
  7. FTTC (2041)
  8. Mobile Broadband (1961)
  9. Statistics (1780)
  10. 4G (1654)
  11. Virgin Media (1608)
  12. Ofcom Regulation (1451)
  13. Fibre Optic (1392)
  14. Wireless Internet (1386)
  15. FTTH (1381)
Sponsored

Copyright © 1999 to Present - ISPreview.co.uk - All Rights Reserved - Terms  ,  Privacy and Cookie Policy  ,  Links  ,  Website Rules