Sponsored Links

Openreach vs ISP Stand Off

Blakeysmiles

Casual Member
Afternoon All,

I am just looking for some advice really.

I live at my in-laws in rural North Cornwall. They have a broadband deal thorough Kinex (Business account) which to no real fault to Kinex the connection and line speed is SHOCKING! Using our post code we are only able to receive 330Mbps (downstream) and 30Mbps (upstream) [on a good day and the wind blowing in the right direction] as FTTP isn't available to us e.g BT Broadband 1Mb - 3Mb download speeds.

Our neighbor who is 200m away is able to get up to 1000Mbps (downstream) and up to 220 (upstream) e.g BT Ultrafast Fibre 2 (300Mb download speeds). The cabinet is between us, on the main road.

I raised a query with Openreach September 2018, as to why we couldn't get a faster more reliable internet connection, and was originally told that the FTTP in our area was currently being rolled out and i should wait. I was quick to point out that the FTTP roll out in our area has been going on now for near 4years. I was was then give an email of a person in Openreach who works in Social Media Customer Resolutions He was helpful and gave me an NAD code for the property, though an email form a an OR engineer which said that we could get fibre. I was told that all I had to do was give this NAD code to the ISP and all would be sorted. If you put he NAD code in the DSLchecker it says we can get 1000Mbps (DS) and 220Mbps (US). I have even walked a BT customer service person though the checker and he acknowledged it did say that FTTP was available, however as their (and every other ISP i have tried) system said no, it was still a no to fibre.

10 months on I have not found one ISP who will give me fibre as they say that the property isn't FTTP ready, while on the other hand I have OR saying fibre can be ordered. I made a fresh complaint to OR last month and have been passed between three different people / teams and no one will get back to me!? I can't work from home so have been driving 2h 20min each day for last 7 months (+ fuel costs) to go to the office so i can access the servers, as the home connection is so bad.

Anyone else had this stalemate?

Do you want to drop us a email to sales @aquiss.net and we will see what we can find out for you?

Hi,
We'd like to help and look into this further. Could you please email compliance@kinex.co.uk with your in-laws account number and/or business name and postcode?
A member of the team will then be in touch to see what we can do to support.
Kind regards,
Molly
kinex Customer Service

Sponsored Links
Update.

I spoke to friend of mine who suggested getting in contact with A&A for a second opinion. I'm not ignoring you @aquiss.net I just wanted to hear what A&A said first.

They have pointed out to me that using my NAD key/code it says that I have access to FTTP ON DEMAND, which means that Openreach have an FTTP distribution point somewhere in the vicinity and they will take a cable from there to your property at your expense. More often than not this runs into many thousands of pounds.

I was not expecting this as OR have been adamant that fibre can be ordered, (I have all past emails and online chat transcripts), but there was always a part of me that thought that OR may have said (promised) something which they soon realised that couldn't deliver. And instead of putting their hand up and saying sorry we have got it wrong, I am just passed between 'teams' until i lose interest.

So slightly deflated by it all now.....

Is your property named rather than numbered, or had a postcode change in the last few years?
Have you checked your address is correct with the Royal Mail database? A lot of ordering issues are down to the RMDB not pinpointing your address properly. If you use the OR update (which it sounds like as they can see your property), it may be the CP’s using the RMDB cannot (it may only narrow you down to a postcode area).
Follow this link, fill in as much detail as you can, then in 10-14 days the RM DB should update and filter down to anyone that uses information from it (finance companies, sat nav data builders, comparison sites, anyone that needs location details really).

Separate to the above core issue. Kinex is a part of Unicom / Verastar group and thus is not an ISP or group we list due to the behaviour of that company towards customers.

Sponsored Links
Separate to the above core issue. Kinex is a part of Unicom / Verastar group and thus is not an ISP or group we list due to the behaviour of that company towards customers.

Good to know. As I am not the account holder I don't have any interaction with them; however I do know my mother-in-law has had issues with them as they would only talk to my father-in-law when there was a problem with the phone & internet. They are joint account holders of their business account with Kinex, but they would only talk to my F-I-L, problem was he was out of the country for 3weeks!

After 11months of causing a fuss (or maybe they were 11months way from completion when I stated making a fuss, but never said!?) FTTP is finally available to my address :) Still not showing on all ISP searches/checkers but BT say it is available now. Have ordered a package and will believe I have it once it is all set up and working as promised.... currently on holiday for 2weeks.

Update: Openreach came to the house to install the fibre on 12th Sep . Guys were great but couldn't access one of the five poles they need to hang the wire from. So waiting on OR to get traffic management to finish the installation. So still no fibre.....

Update: As of yesterday OR installed my fibre broadband. Works a charm and BT credited my account with £25, for postponing an OR visit (which I didn't even know about) and £130, for missing their service going live date. Persistence has paid off - only took 1 year :)

Sponsored Links
Update: As of yesterday OR installed my fibre broadband. Works a charm and BT credited my account with £25, for postponing an OR visit (which I didn't even know about) and £130, for missing their service going live date. Persistence has paid off - only took 1 year :)

Pleased to hear it, shame it took so long.

Cheap BIG ISPs for 100Mbps+
Community Fibre UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
Gift: None
Virgin Media UK ISP Logo
Virgin Media £24.00
132Mbps
Shell Energy UK ISP Logo
Shell Energy £26.99
109Mbps
Plusnet UK ISP Logo
Plusnet £27.99
145Mbps
Zen Internet UK ISP Logo
Zen Internet £28.00 - 35.00
100Mbps
Large Availability | View All
Cheapest ISPs for 100Mbps+
Gigaclear UK ISP Logo
Gigaclear £15.00
150Mbps
YouFibre UK ISP Logo
YouFibre £19.99
150Mbps
Community Fibre UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
BeFibre UK ISP Logo
BeFibre £21.00
150Mbps
Gift: £25 Love2Shop Card
Hey! Broadband UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
Large Availability | View All

Helpful ISP Guides and Tips

Sponsored Links
The Top 15 Category Tags
  1. FTTP (5473)
  2. BT (3505)
  3. Politics (2525)
  4. Openreach (2291)
  5. Business (2251)
  6. Building Digital UK (2234)
  7. FTTC (2041)
  8. Mobile Broadband (1961)
  9. Statistics (1780)
  10. 4G (1654)
  11. Virgin Media (1608)
  12. Ofcom Regulation (1451)
  13. Fibre Optic (1392)
  14. Wireless Internet (1386)
  15. FTTH (1381)
Sponsored

Copyright © 1999 to Present - ISPreview.co.uk - All Rights Reserved - Terms  ,  Privacy and Cookie Policy  ,  Links  ,  Website Rules