Sponsored Links

OR engineers take down my line

I have g.fast and the cabinet is across the road from my front door, the line goes from the cab to a pole at the end of my garden and then the drop wire into the back of the house. So it's a short line, OR engineer when installed said I have a theoritical speed of 500mb down.

Anyway, I have had a few drops lately and I have realised why. Openreach engineers! Everytime an Openreach engineer visits the cabinet my line drops, the BT modem loses the sync and all comes back up a few minutes later.

I have approached said engineers and they just wave me away, I have messaged OR on twitter who say raise it to the ISP. Challenge is I know when TT run a line test all will come back ok.

Any advice on how to approach this?

Sponsored Links
A bit more detail for you.

On a regular basis OR engineers van is parked outside the cabinet and they have it open performing some work. When I last approached an engineer he said he was only power?

I would say over the last few weeks my connection appears to have dropped 4/5 times when an engineer is at the cabinet. It's happening that much that I have been able to put two and two together, it's hard to give exact numbers. Also, I guess I have only noticed as I'm working home due to Covid.

I have just been out for my morning walk and there is an OR engineer out there again! Not sure if the same one as yesterday. Will be interesting if my line goes down again at any point.

If the engineers are the only cause (i.e. line not going down when they're away) then there's probably an issue at the cabinet. I wouldn't be too concerned as it's not uncommon for major cabinet work to result in such interruptions. Obviously it's not ideal but sometimes it can't be helped.

If the engineers are the only cause (i.e. line not going down when they're away) then there's probably an issue at the cabinet. I wouldn't be too concerned as it's not uncommon for major cabinet work to result in such interruptions. Obviously it's not ideal but sometimes it can't be helped.

I get your point Mark, but this fairly is regular lately. Normally any maintenance which is expected to affect the service is normally completed overnight.

Just be glad you are not on a long copper line with ADSL with limited capacity, the one who complains last gets put on the decent line and the rest suffer until they get the engineer to swap them back onto the good line.

Sponsored Links
Just be glad you are not on a long copper line with ADSL with limited capacity, the one who complains last gets put on the decent line and the rest suffer until they get the engineer to swap them back onto the good line.

I have been there back in the day.

If it’s a power engineer, they are probably doing maintenance on the DSLAM or the batteries. They will have to momentarily power it all down to do what they need to do for safety reasons. (No one wants to work on a live electrical circuit).

If it’s a power engineer, they are probably doing maintenance on the DSLAM or the batteries. They will have to momentarily power it all down to do what they need to do for safety reasons. (No one wants to work on a live electrical circuit).

That makes sense, safety first. Still don't understand how regularly the problem occurs though.

Am going to start logging it.

Cheap BIG ISPs for 100Mbps+
Community Fibre UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
Gift: None
Virgin Media UK ISP Logo
Virgin Media £24.00
132Mbps
Plusnet UK ISP Logo
Plusnet £27.99
145Mbps
Zen Internet UK ISP Logo
Zen Internet £28.00 - 35.00
100Mbps
Sky Broadband UK ISP Logo
100Mbps
Large Availability | View All
Cheapest ISPs for 100Mbps+
Gigaclear UK ISP Logo
Gigaclear £15.00
150Mbps
YouFibre UK ISP Logo
YouFibre £19.99
150Mbps
Community Fibre UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
BeFibre UK ISP Logo
BeFibre £21.00
150Mbps
Gift: £25 Love2Shop Card
Hey! Broadband UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
Large Availability | View All
Sponsored Links
The Top 15 Category Tags
  1. FTTP (5444)
  2. BT (3497)
  3. Politics (2513)
  4. Openreach (2285)
  5. Business (2242)
  6. Building Digital UK (2227)
  7. FTTC (2040)
  8. Mobile Broadband (1955)
  9. Statistics (1770)
  10. 4G (1649)
  11. Virgin Media (1603)
  12. Ofcom Regulation (1446)
  13. Wireless Internet (1384)
  14. Fibre Optic (1384)
  15. FTTH (1380)
Sponsored

Copyright © 1999 to Present - ISPreview.co.uk - All Rights Reserved - Terms  ,  Privacy and Cookie Policy  ,  Links  ,  Website Rules