Sponsored Links

Orange connection problems

Once again I’m left ringing orange.
It started a month ago when I suddenly I had a couple of days of no service; a few phone calls sorted that.
Now my sync rate is about as good as dial up
Here are the details.

Rate KBPS Down 512 / Up 64 I’m not kidding either, not happy because it takes an age to do email.

So I phoned and saying that my sync rate was really low, they wanted me to do speed tests on speedtest.net which I have and I gave them all the details.
They have now told me to wait 48 hours while they do a line test, usually this would only take 24hours.

Should this normally take this long?
It’s about normal for orange just wondered if anyone else had this problem.

P.S I also used the speed tester on here.

P.P.S Now I can’t connect to the speed tester on here is the server down mark?

Last edited:
No, just checked - both our FLASH and primary JAVA testers appear to be working normally.

In regards to the line test time, well I guess there's no hard timescale and it may be that others have reported similar problems in the area, which could result in delays. Whether or not you're on an unbundled line can also play a part (LLU faults tend to be investigated quite quickly by BT).

What are your router stats and have you checked the log to see if your connection has been dropping a lot lately?

if the speed testers here arent working its worth checking to see if you have flash and java installed as well.

Sponsored Links
I'm in there LLU area so I can only assume I'm on LLU.
My stats are...

Connection mode : G.DMT
Type : Fast
Noise margin (dB) : 30.3
Attenuation (dB) : 35.0

Attainable download rate (kbps) : 8192
ADSL status : Connected [0]

Downstream Upstream
Rate (kbps) 512 64

internet protocol : pppoa
Encapsulation : VC-Mux
VP : 0
VC : 38

It was my firewall blocking your speed test.
Its working now, also just run a quick test.

Detailed Results
Date 04/03/10 16:32:40
Download speed 428.00 Kbps (0.42 Mbps)
Upload speed 53.43 Kbps (0.05 Mbps)
Server Port 80 (tcp)

Last edited:
Your stats look good (you must live really close to your exchange hehe) and if there are no unusual drops in your router logs then it's likely to either be congestion at the exchange or some other ISP specific issue.

However sometimes a very high noise margin can cause problems in the same way as a very low one, but it's a bit more complicated than that. Any chance you could post the upstream attenuation and NM figures too?

Also do your stats say whether Interleaving is enabled on the line or not?

I've got an orange livebox which is pretty scarse on details.
I phoned orange again and they have said that there is a fault on the line, it will take 48 hours to fix.
Hopefully it will be sorted on monday / tuesday, can't see it getting fixed on a weekend to be honest.

According to sam knows I am 1.55km from the exchange, and should be able to get 5mbps or greater.
From what i can remember i was connected around 6mpbs, would be happy with 4 or 5.

Noise margin (dB) : 30.3
Attenuation (dB) : 35.0

That attenuation should be able to get 8128, just. However, with a 30db noise margin, no chance.

If it is LLU, their DLM system may have capped your line due to instability. If a BT line, it has definitely capped you due to instability.

Either way, you need to contact them and explain that you have awful sync due to the higher than normal SNR set.

Matt

Sponsored Links
Either way, you need to contact them and explain that you have awful sync due to the higher than normal SNR set.

Thanks, I will ring them again and tell them that.
Normally they tell me to factory reset my router every time i call. :rolleyes:

Just a quick update, my line stats and speed went to normal on saturday, happy with that!!
Thanks for the help everyone. :D

orange problems

my experience of this awful firm is extensive - until today as I've changed ISPs. Orange blame everything but I have learned their methods over the years - the recurring problem i had was that my line would start dropping out every few months - Orange would then blame everything under the sun from local kit to BT but the problem was always their exchange equipment and usually because they had made a change. The gist is that you get a delay of several weeks to resolve a problem, probably never resolved unless you are prepared to phone and phone and phone again - use the 0800 numbers off the net by the way. They just follow the same old procedure and that clearly doesn't work judging by the number of posts here and elsewhere. They need to follow a more scientific and logical method and do a lot more of the work themselves instead of fobbing customers off with excuse after excuse. part of the problem is there off-shore call centre, well known for it's unhelpful attitudes - but don't blame them, blame the CEO and EMT of Orange - they are just getting maximum bucks from their customers and staff without really giving a damn about either. My last approach has been to refuse their excuses and I did get them to check their own equipment (after they had BT do a check first of course!) and sure enough the problem got solved... but I've moved as they are too stressful to deal with and the problem is guaranteed to return! I personally believe that the changes they make are deliberate, the only other other aalternative is stunning incompetance!
So - anyone with Orange problems? change to a smaller friendier ISP but in the meantime insist on getting them to check their own equipment first! Demand a MAC code and follow the complaints procedure - make sure you state you are escalating straight away and that you formally lodge a compliant - when you do this make sure they read back to you what they typed and follow it up with a written letter sent by post to their head-office. Insist on everything in writing so you have evidence against them and keep a log of all calls and what was said by whom. I have an extensive dossier on them which I will publish when i get time to type it all in!
Dealing with this firm is unbelievable - if it was selling anything else they would be out of business within minutes!

Sound advice :) .

Orange has slowed their customer bleed but they still lose more than they gain. According to some of the past few surveys. Most people complain that the poor service quality and support are the main reasons they depart.

Sponsored Links
Cheap BIG ISPs for 100Mbps+
Community Fibre UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
Gift: None
Virgin Media UK ISP Logo
Virgin Media £24.00
132Mbps
Shell Energy UK ISP Logo
Shell Energy £26.99
109Mbps
Plusnet UK ISP Logo
Plusnet £27.99
145Mbps
Zen Internet UK ISP Logo
Zen Internet £28.00 - 35.00
100Mbps
Large Availability | View All
Cheapest ISPs for 100Mbps+
Gigaclear UK ISP Logo
Gigaclear £15.00
150Mbps
YouFibre UK ISP Logo
YouFibre £19.99
150Mbps
Community Fibre UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
BeFibre UK ISP Logo
BeFibre £21.00
150Mbps
Gift: £25 Love2Shop Card
Hey! Broadband UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
Large Availability | View All
Sponsored Links
The Top 15 Category Tags
  1. FTTP (5472)
  2. BT (3505)
  3. Politics (2524)
  4. Openreach (2291)
  5. Business (2251)
  6. Building Digital UK (2234)
  7. FTTC (2041)
  8. Mobile Broadband (1961)
  9. Statistics (1778)
  10. 4G (1654)
  11. Virgin Media (1608)
  12. Ofcom Regulation (1451)
  13. Fibre Optic (1392)
  14. Wireless Internet (1386)
  15. FTTH (1381)
Sponsored

Copyright © 1999 to Present - ISPreview.co.uk - All Rights Reserved - Terms  ,  Privacy and Cookie Policy  ,  Links  ,  Website Rules