Sponsored

Orange Dial-up Anytime finishing!

marvin

ULTIMATE Member
Had an informing/bullying letter from Orange this morning telling me that their Anytime Dial-up service is being discontinued in December and that I'll be sent a Broadband kit within the next 3 weeks and be able to get broadband for just under £12 per month. However, if I don't want this broadband offer then I must phone their customer service number within fourteen days, which I have done as I don't want their Broadband yet or perhaps never.

Are they really turning off this service? I have been to the Orange website and there is still the ability to register for their Anytime service or the PAYG service which according to the letter will be the only alternative to Broadband.

Agrajag

ULTIMATE Member
I thought they changed to name of Orange dial-up ages ago to "Orange Broadband"... :laugh:

Mel

ULTIMATE Member
However, if I don't want this broadband offer then I must phone their customer service number within fourteen days, which I have done as I don't want their Broadband yet or perhaps never.
Aren't they supposed to get explicit permission from their customers before activating/unbundling their lines for adsl.:confused:

catonphil

Casual Member
Hi!
I just had one of those letters forwarded to me by my mum. She is in a real quandry what to do. Thing is, the letter she has been sent doesn't tell her to ring any number to tell them if she doesn't want their broadband. I told her to do nothing but I see from the letter posted here that she will probably be connected up automatically!!! Oh no! What to do?. I don't think she wants to be paying for broadband (I wouldn't want her tied in to the 18 month contract) but is there any dial up left?? Are Fast4 any good? Is there a cheap broadband alternative that doesn't tie you in for 18 months??
Help!
Phil

catonphil

Casual Member
CON!
I just read the letter again, and looked at the website. You can get starter broadband, 2MB, for £12 month and 6GB limit. The offer in the letter is £11.99 month and 2GB limit :mad:
Phil

Mel

ULTIMATE Member
Are you sure the offer in the letter isn't on different terms, such as no 12 month contract with free activation, where as the offer on their website will almost certainly require a 12+ month contract or an activation fee or possibly both?

marvin

ULTIMATE Member
Hi!
I just had one of those letters forwarded to me by my mum. She is in a real quandry what to do. Thing is, the letter she has been sent doesn't tell her to ring any number to tell them if she doesn't want their broadband. I told her to do nothing but I see from the letter posted here that she will probably be connected up automatically!!! Oh no! What to do?. I don't think she wants to be paying for broadband (I wouldn't want her tied in to the 18 month contract) but is there any dial up left?? Are Fast4 any good? Is there a cheap broadband alternative that doesn't tie you in for 18 months??
Help!
Phil
The number is their customer service one i.e. 0800 294 7332

catonphil

Casual Member
Hi! Mel.
Yes, I think you are right that there must be free activation but there is still an 18 month contract! You can cancel within 30 days but I presume this doesn't mean they will give you a mac code so you can go elsewhere! They say they will give a full refund on return of the equpment so I presume they get adsl disabled on your line too!

Phil

Mel

ULTIMATE Member
Hmm, I don't think they should be taking over a line without explicit permission from the person that pays line rental, unless you agreed to it in your original Orange contract. And I can't see how not canceling within 30 days could be deemed as agreeing to the contract, unless they mean 30 days from when you first use their adsl service.

I think they have to supply a MAC if requested unless it is a fully unbundled phone + adsl service.

AvroYork

Interesting to see that Orange were sending this letter out in early September. I had an identically-worded letter dated 29th October. I thought I would go with the broadband as sooner or later dial up will disappear.

The thing about the stuff being sent in "about three weeks" - more than four weeks later I have received nothing in the post from Orange. The letter said that you could cancel the broadband within 30 days of activation, but an e-mail said a different thing - that said you had to cancel before activation or you were lumbered for the next 18 months!

No date has been given for the dial up to close so I don't know how much longer I will have internet access. The letter said to check terms and conditions on the Orange website, but the terms and conditions only cover "Home Starter", "Home Max" and "Home Select" - not this "Broadband Starter" for £11.99 that Orange said I would be moved to.

As soon as I know I can escape this ghastly, misleading ISP then I will.

marvin

ULTIMATE Member
Interesting to see that Orange were sending this letter out in early September. I had an identically-worded letter dated 29th October. I thought I would go with the broadband as sooner or later dial up will disappear.

The thing about the stuff being sent in "about three weeks" - more than four weeks later I have received nothing in the post from Orange. The letter said that you could cancel the broadband within 30 days of activation, but an e-mail said a different thing - that said you had to cancel before activation or you were lumbered for the next 18 months!

No date has been given for the dial up to close so I don't know how much longer I will have internet access. The letter said to check terms and conditions on the Orange website, but the terms and conditions only cover "Home Starter", "Home Max" and "Home Select" - not this "Broadband Starter" for £11.99 that Orange said I would be moved to.

As soon as I know I can escape this ghastly, misleading ISP then I will.
Someone on another forum (I think it was) said that they had been told that Anytime was ending on Dec 12th! Anyway, if and when it happens, I'll be buying myself into Three's mobile network broadband offer - quite fast enough for me at £15/month for their Broadband plus.
I would have kept with Orange, perhaps, if they hadn't got greedy and wanting to take over one's normal BT calls/billing as well. Why they could not just offer a simple broadband only package heaven only knows.
:mad:

marvin

ULTIMATE Member
Someone on another forum (I think it was) said that they had been told that Anytime was ending on Dec 12th! Anyway, if and when it happens, I'll be buying myself into Three's mobile network broadband offer - quite fast enough for me at £15/month for their Broadband plus.
I would have kept with Orange, perhaps, if they hadn't got greedy and wanting to take over one's normal BT calls/billing as well. Why they could not just offer a simple broadband only package heaven only knows.
:mad:
Well, I've had another letter from Orange today telling me that the Dial-up anytime service is not being shut down this month as they have arranged with the providers to extend the service into the new year.
I wouldn't mind betting that this is all a ruse to get us to change to Orange Broadband whether we want it or not.
In a way, I wish that had shut down the service this month, thus forcing me to take that mobile broadband route I mentioned above.

AvroYork

I wish Orange would make their minds up. I wrote to them today complaining that I had not received my modem which they said they would send "in about three weeks".

I didn't know that dial up was being continued into the new year.

They are useless and do not know what they are doing. I wish I had cancelled as soon as I got that letter, I would probably have been with another ISP now.

Jaheira

Casual Member
Anyone have any new information about when this service is due to end?

I was wondering today why I'd been getting no service email from my freeserve.co.uk address and did a little digging about to find this thread, to my great surprise!

Orange sent me a letter in September informing me they were switching me to broadband, but saying NOTHING about the end of the Anytime service. I phoned their customer support line, and informed them that I didn't wish to migrate and wanted to continue using Anytime. The person I spoke to noted my intentions but also failed to mention the imminent demise of the service.

Suffice to say, I'm a little shocked!

Since I'm using Anytime to write this message, the service is obviously still up and running. Anyone know if and when it's due to curl up and die?!!

marvin

ULTIMATE Member
Anyone have any new information about when this service is due to end?

I was wondering today why I'd been getting no service email from my freeserve.co.uk address and did a little digging about to find this thread, to my great surprise!

Orange sent me a letter in September informing me they were switching me to broadband, but saying NOTHING about the end of the Anytime service. I phoned their customer support line, and informed them that I didn't wish to migrate and wanted to continue using Anytime. The person I spoke to noted my intentions but also failed to mention the imminent demise of the service.

Suffice to say, I'm a little shocked!

Since I'm using Anytime to write this message, the service is obviously still up and running. Anyone know if and when it's due to curl up and die?!!
Well, a letter I received last week said that they were now continuing the Anytime Dial-up service into next year, after having said that it was being discontinued Mid-December. I'm a little relieved, although it would have forced me to change to a broadband service (not Orange I hasten to add).

I am thinking of going over to Three's mobile broadband which is more than fast enough for my needs, as I don't need 8meg or the likes of.

Jaheira

Casual Member
Thanks for your swift reply marvin!

Did they give you any indication as to when in the new year it would cease?

What's bugging me is that they told me NOTHING of their intentions to end the service!

:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

marvin

ULTIMATE Member
Thanks for your swift reply marvin!

Did they give you any indication as to when in the new year it would cease?

What's bugging me is that they told me NOTHING of their intentions to end the service!
someone hinted at March and someone June, or thereabouts. Maybe they'll keep it for the forseeable future if they get enough negative feedback?
:rolleyes::shrug:

Promotion
Cheapest Superfast ISPs
  • Hyperoptic £18.00 (*22.00)
    Avg. Speed 30Mbps, Unlimited
    Gift: Code: HYPER19
  • Direct Save Telecom £22.95 (*29.95)
    Avg. Speed 35Mbps, Unlimited
    Gift: None
  • Origin Broadband £23.00
  • Vodafone £23.00
  • SSE £23.00 (*33.00)
    Avg. Speed 35Mbps, Unlimited (FUP)
Prices inc. Line Rental | View All
Helpful ISP Guides and Tips
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
Promotion
The Top 20 Category Tags
  1. BT (2463)
  2. FTTP (2091)
  3. FTTC (1630)
  4. Building Digital UK (1574)
  5. Politics (1380)
  6. Openreach (1376)
  7. Business (1206)
  8. Statistics (1077)
  9. FTTH (1014)
  10. Mobile Broadband (1004)
  11. Fibre Optic (957)
  12. Ofcom Regulation (902)
  13. Wireless Internet (884)
  14. 4G (873)
  15. Virgin Media (842)
  16. Sky Broadband (585)
  17. EE (575)
  18. TalkTalk (563)
  19. Vodafone (497)
  20. Security (402)
Sponsored

Copyright © 1999 to Present - ISPreview.co.uk - All Rights Reserved - Terms  ,  Privacy and Cookie Policy  ,  Links  ,  Website Rules