Sponsored Links

Origin Broadband: Slow speeds and high pings in evenings

w.e.s

Hi guys so to put this in a short and sweet nutshell:

3 Months ago my FTTC connection went haywire, where my pings became suddenly unstable/fluctuating but low during the day (every second 20, 35, 51, 23, 40, 36, 21, 30 constantly causing severe latency in gaming) (I used to always be on 10ms day and night) and during the evening from like 6pm my pings began to reach 200ms+ on a ping -t bbc.co.uk cmd test and other locations, during this time my speeds would tumble from a 70/20 line but i'd be actually getting 6/18 at best (yes thats the right way around, my upload remained pretty good). My DSL still shows my line is on full speeds though.

So after 4 OpenReach engineers, they all kept saying my line is perfect and ran various tests, Origin Broadband kept saying it was my line that was the issue, claiming various line faults etc. Anyway 2 weeks ago after a 3hr phone on the phone to Origin Broadband a very kind and open technician told me about they were aware of an issue with their LNS. So I was connecting to LNS 87 but he tried to change me to LNS 86 (also changing my DNS to Open DNS), eventually after turning my connection off their end for 10 mins he turned it back on and it connected to LNS 86 and my pings went from 200+ back to a stable and constant 10ms (which was what my line used to be for years) and my speeds hitting max suddenly.

A week later im back to LNS 87 (apparently), connection is crap and I can barely use the internet for my uses (constant ping tests are even failing now and again), so another 3hr call they apparently got me to LNS 86 again but my pings are now randomly reaching 40ms+ to bbc, still fluctuating and now my speeds currently is this which for FTTC is.... well its not acceptable..

So I have given up, this is clearly an issue with Origin Broadbands systems and I will be cancelling with them on Monday as I cant be bothered to endure a pointless 3hr phone call again, I have waited 3 months for them to sort themselves out. They know this is an issue but are claiming its been fixed but it clearly hasnt, the funny part is it all began when i got this email from them.

Can someone please advise me what ISP would be best for me please, I dont want anything capped and I want full speeds my line can handle, ideally wanting a static IP address too. Price isnt a real concern for me as im happy to pay what ever for a constantly full quality line.

So this didnt turn out to be short and sweet (sorry) but I just wanted to share my frustrations about all of this, and if anyone wanted to share some insight into these issues. I have a TP Link modem in bridge mode running to a AC5400X so id like to think my equipment is of high quality... I have changed back to their provided router and the issue remains, its wired on a Cat7. I know its not my side as I had max speeds and a solid 10ms ping that never changed for years, plus the fact like I said they admitted they know its their side (but are still blaming BT as they rent the lines...).

Thank you :)

Cheap BIG ISPs for 100Mbps+
Community Fibre UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
Gift: None
Virgin Media UK ISP Logo
Virgin Media £26.00
132Mbps
Shell Energy UK ISP Logo
Shell Energy £26.99
109Mbps
Plusnet UK ISP Logo
Plusnet £27.99
145Mbps
Zen Internet UK ISP Logo
Zen Internet £28.00 - 35.00
100Mbps
Large Availability | View All
Cheapest ISPs for 100Mbps+
Gigaclear UK ISP Logo
Gigaclear £17.00
200Mbps
YouFibre UK ISP Logo
YouFibre £19.99
150Mbps
Community Fibre UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
BeFibre UK ISP Logo
BeFibre £21.00
150Mbps
Gift: £25 Love2Shop Card
Hey! Broadband UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
Large Availability | View All

Helpful ISP Guides and Tips

Sponsored Links
The Top 15 Category Tags
  1. FTTP (5508)
  2. BT (3513)
  3. Politics (2535)
  4. Openreach (2296)
  5. Business (2260)
  6. Building Digital UK (2243)
  7. FTTC (2042)
  8. Mobile Broadband (1971)
  9. Statistics (1787)
  10. 4G (1662)
  11. Virgin Media (1617)
  12. Ofcom Regulation (1459)
  13. Fibre Optic (1393)
  14. Wireless Internet (1389)
  15. FTTH (1381)
Sponsored

Copyright © 1999 to Present - ISPreview.co.uk - All Rights Reserved - Terms  ,  Privacy and Cookie Policy  ,  Links  ,  Website Rules