Sponsored Links

Password storage software

Does anyone here have any experience of software that saves passwords?

Generally I'll write down passwords rather than keep electronic copies on my PC.

Though of course that then means that I can't access them while out and about even if I do RDP onto my machine.

There are however so many now from credit cards to internet providers to servers that I need to organise this better.

I've been having a look around at software which saves and encrypts passwords in its own database. Don't mind if that's "local only", indeed I'd prefer it, at least it's behind a router and a modem, provided the software itself is secure.

I can see some open source stuff - one called KeePass for instance - do I trust that software provider ;)

Any suggestions?

Personally I use eWallet as it allows me to keep a sync between my Smartphone and Desktop through a separate client download. However I do tend to find that it gets a bit tedious keeping all the software up-to-date between systems, but then I only sync the password database every few months.

I doubt this is the best programme though, I just found myself using it from many years ago and have kept using the same thing since.

ld recommend LastPass, lve used it for a few years now.. its a setup and forget it type of program in as far as onces its setup you can access your passwords from any machine you install it to as long as you have the master password, after all remembering one password is easier than remembering 100s and its also quite possible to install last pass to a portable version of firefox.

it also supports quite a few browsers as well other than firefox (Internet Explorer, Google Chrome, Apple Safari, Opera and Maxthon according to their website).

the only downside is you have to pay to use it on mobile devices (tablets etc) but considering its only like £6 a year its something lve not minded paying, after all l dont need to remember all passwords any more, all l do is logon and let it deal with all my password needs be it generating new ones (in whatever format l wish), it also has the ability to protect financial details (tho lve always been a little weird about sharing any such information) and the ability to add secure notes, and syncing data is done without user interaction, if you edit or save a new pass its accessible from that moment from any other computer you logon with.

Sponsored Links
I used to be a fan of LastPass up to the point they got acquired by LogMeIn and "hacking" scares that followed!

I would now highly recommend BitWarden as they have most, if not all the features LastPass have, but also have additional features. They have a free version with some limits on features, but the premium version is only $10 which is only about £7.50 for the year. They are also open source and have self hosting options, 2FA with the likes of a YubiKey and more.

I use Dashlane, it works and is available on all my devices, and is secure with 2FA via various MFA servcies, and can use an extension in chrome based browsers.

+1 BitWarden.
1Password is also good.
And +1 to avoid LastPass, going down hill fast.

Keepass was recommended as a good solution by a couple of the penetration testing companies we have used in the last few years. As with any software there is the possibility of a compromise but it seems to have been pretty good so far & having clients available for different os is really useful.

Sponsored Links
If you're really hard-core, then there's passwordstore.org: a command-line utility that wraps GPG. I use it because I fully understand what it's doing, and the encrypted passwords are all stored locally.

If you're even more hard-core and want to host your own password server that you can access from anywhere, then there's passbolt.com. It has a browser plugin for filling in passwords.

For most users though I'd recommended KeePass / KeePassXC / MiniKeePass. These do roughly the same thing as passwordstore, i.e. store encrypted passwords locally, but will give you a nicer user interface. You can trust them (a) because they're open source, and (b) because they don't connect to any cloud service (unless you choose to do so, e.g. stick your encrypted password file in Dropbox or Google Drive)

I use bitwarden for everything personal.

At work we use Vault, because it's nice having a password manager you can query with an API token and stick the password into things automatically. Vault is also free, cheap, web and CLI access.

I use bitwarden for everything personal.

At work we use Vault, because it's nice having a password manager you can query with an API token and stick the password into things automatically. Vault is also free, cheap, web and CLI access.
I use a vim encrypted file for personal use, in addition to the Firefox password manager. :-D

Funnily enough for work I'm just toying with Vault myself these days, seems like a winner in many aspects, but has a learning curve and it's certainly not your average Lastpass replacement.

Does anyone here have any experience of software that saves passwords?

Generally I'll write down passwords rather than keep electronic copies on my PC.

Though of course that then means that I can't access them while out and about even if I do RDP onto my machine.

There are however so many now from credit cards to internet providers to servers that I need to organise this better.

I've been having a look around at software which saves and encrypts passwords in its own database. Don't mind if that's "local only", indeed I'd prefer it, at least it's behind a router and a modem, provided the software itself is secure.

I can see some open source stuff - one called KeePass for instance - do I trust that software provider ;)

Any suggestions?
I use Bitwarden. Open Source. Previously used RoboForm and then Last Pass. Please ensure you use a long master pass phrase. Mine is 20+ characters.

Sponsored Links
Another vote for KeePass here. If you put the encrypted data file in the cloud (Onedrive, Dropbox, whatever) it syncs happily with Android devices, not sure about iOS but I expect there is something available. You can choose to have a keyfile on each device without which the file can't be opened. It does auto-complete, and access control by fingerprint as well as password is an option on a suitably equipped phone.

+1 BitWarden.
1Password is also good.
And +1 to avoid LastPass, going down hill fast.
I need to get off LastPass, Does the others let you import?

Cheap BIG ISPs for 100Mbps+
Community Fibre UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
Gift: None
Virgin Media UK ISP Logo
Virgin Media £24.00
132Mbps
Shell Energy UK ISP Logo
Shell Energy £26.99
109Mbps
Plusnet UK ISP Logo
Plusnet £27.99
145Mbps
Zen Internet UK ISP Logo
Zen Internet £28.00 - 35.00
100Mbps
Large Availability | View All
Cheapest ISPs for 100Mbps+
Gigaclear UK ISP Logo
Gigaclear £15.00
150Mbps
YouFibre UK ISP Logo
YouFibre £19.99
150Mbps
Community Fibre UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
BeFibre UK ISP Logo
BeFibre £21.00
150Mbps
Gift: £25 Love2Shop Card
Hey! Broadband UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
Large Availability | View All
Sponsored Links
The Top 15 Category Tags
  1. FTTP (5470)
  2. BT (3505)
  3. Politics (2524)
  4. Openreach (2290)
  5. Business (2251)
  6. Building Digital UK (2234)
  7. FTTC (2041)
  8. Mobile Broadband (1961)
  9. Statistics (1778)
  10. 4G (1654)
  11. Virgin Media (1608)
  12. Ofcom Regulation (1451)
  13. Fibre Optic (1392)
  14. Wireless Internet (1386)
  15. FTTH (1381)
Sponsored

Copyright © 1999 to Present - ISPreview.co.uk - All Rights Reserved - Terms  ,  Privacy and Cookie Policy  ,  Links  ,  Website Rules