Sponsored

Peer to peer

robwil

Casual Member
We have a community Aramiska connection, and when using Winmx, we can only connect at 0.15kbs! We understand Aramiska restrict Peer to peer to a certain extent, but this is far slower than a 56k connection.

Am I doing anything wrong?

sparkatb

ULTIMATE Member
Yes you need a new ISP.

sjock

Casual Member
We are using Aramiska and although i am not using P2P a lot i dont have any issues with it.
Do you share the connection with someone or are you online on the connection?

Captain_Cretin

ULTIMATE Member
Are you trying to p2p over the net or just between the users at your end??
If its over then net then try a different program like kazzalite and try a number of different (popular) files to see what you are restricted to.
If its only for use at your end try something like laplink that allows folder sharing.
A lot of isp's do restrict or even block entirely p2p so check directly with Aramiska.

robwil

Casual Member
Maybe I didn't explain myself properly. Connection to the internet is superb at least by my standards ! 1.2 - 1.6 mb. I share the satellite with one other person. I've checked with Aramiska who tell me they have no restrictions in place for p2p traffic. If I can DL everything else at great speed. Why is winmx only downloading at 0.15 kbps at best. Is it something to do with the setting's in Winmx. I'm not an expert and am very frustrated...Please help !!

IGS

Hi,
I think the probeem could well be the peer your trying to download from. As with any download, your are restricted to the speed of the slowest connection for the transfer you are doing.

Whilst winmx may show a connection as cable/adsl/56k etc, the user can restrict the max speed of upload/download. the minimum being 2000 byte per second. This again can depend on on the connection speed of the uploading peer.

I've used Winmx at times to upload and the speeds have been low some times.

I hope this helps you

Ian

Kevin Steggles

Casual Member
Is your broadband access in-part provided by a skanky hippy with a moustache? If so, some of the whiskers and other particles of dirt can get clogged in the satellite beam, and cause significant slowing. It is worth throughly washing your providers to see if this helps.

robwil

Casual Member
Yes they are a bearded smelly lot ! The thing that bugs me is a few friends who have a much slower BT Broadband connection can download stuff from Winmx in a matter of a couple of minutes. My last download took about 7 hours. Great stuff from over a 1 meg connection. I realise I could be downloading from another slow connection, but believe me I've tried hundreds. I should have got at least one fast DL by now. I get much faster dowload times from my 56k connection ! Isn't broadband dead brill !

RoB Williams

Fudskie

Pro Member
P2P

Just a thought to add to the equation is the local WISP who is sharing the connection restricting P2P as i know a lot of WISP`s do this to improve bandwidth on the upstream of the CAN. (community Area Network).

Regards

robwil

Casual Member
MArk, Thanks for your reply and Happy new year to everyone using the forum. Could you explain in lay terms you reply. Sorry to be so dense ! Lets cut to the chase will I ever be able to DL P2P over the Aramiska Satellite faster than 0.15 kbps. When I use non P2P site I'm DL at 145 kbps on average. Will it be possible ? If so how.

Thanks

RoB Williams

nathans

Top Member
His answer made sense to me, does the people who provide your wireless service restrict p2p ports to improve other services, it may not be the satellite restricting things but the wireless operator themselves.

robwil

Casual Member
Thanks Nathan and can I wish you a happy new year. As I said sorry to be dense....you see you mad shorthand(wisp, kbps, dl, etc) technical computer nutcases crack me up with your technical speak....I'm not technical, I'm just getting by ! My community provider assures me there are no restrictions to p2p traffic. Aramiska also confirm this. Be straight shall I just forget using p2p altogether because frankly I never realised I was going to encounter all these problems. As I said in earlier post the connection speed is absolutely brilliant. Will I ever get above 0.15 kbps whilst p2peeing !

RoB Williams

Fudskie

Pro Member
P2P

Hello,
i dont monitor this forum every day so scuse the delay on my reply. Happy New Year by the way. I have just tried the P2P on an ADSL connection using winmx & i must say it was sloooowww not from my end i assure you !! but from the other user as i pressume someone else wanted the file i was downloading also at the same time. I will look in to the P2P on Aramiska & get you a definitive answer to this issue. I will be going to the operations centre 2morrow & i will post my findings on here when i get 5 mins. I hope this helps. I am not aware of there being any restricitions but i suppose in the way P2P works it sends & receives many small requests for the peer of the connection thus the latentcy (delay) in satellite connections may be something to do with any look ups but when transferring the file it should be fine as long as the sender on the other end has a connection fast enough to send it to you. many people forget that you request a file but 10 others or more may be asking for the same file from the same user thus you get a 10th of the bandwidth they have allocated for the peer to peer connection in the software client.Can i ask who is the wisp & where you are as i may be able to chat with them about it.

Long winded reply i know with no real answer but i will look in to it & see how i can help.

Last edited:

robwil

Casual Member
Thanks Fudski, I really appreciate your input. It made sense to my non technical mind. Everything bar P2P is amazingly fast. I'm in Great Asby near Appleby in Cumbria. My local WISP is Digital Fells and the contact is Pat Gale. Thanks once again and for all your patience.

RoB Williams

CRONIK

ULTIMATE Member
Robwil, Have you tried using diffrent P2P software ie Kazaalite etc...? It could be the software your using, I know when I had BB satellite Winmx was rubbish yet on Kazaalite was much faster.

robwil

Casual Member
Cronik I tried Kazaarlite a while back and got the same DL speeds. I'll give it another try and report my findings ! Any other P2P recommendations anyone ????? Fudskie I know you're busy but are you out there r kidd ?

RoB Williams

Fudskie

Pro Member
Hello,
As far as i can source from the highest powers that be in the chain we do not block P2P but do traffic shape these types of services. The issue is it is impossible to stop them as changing a port locally in the software is easily done by the user thus to restrict them many ports would have to be looked at & this is not practicle. This is why some programs with ISP work better than others like Kazaalite, compared to the well known Kazaa. there are many others like edonkey, & Overnet. i suggest you read the http://care.aramiska.net site & see the chapter highlighted on the front page to do with P2P as this answers the question in its full entirety.

TonyBrown

I have been playing with Emule (Peer/Peer) since Xmas, and was coming to the conclusion that the system was unusable. I changed my internet connection an hour ago from Aramiska to a standard 64k ISDN dialup. I am behind a full firewall on the ISDN router, but even so it all sprang into life.

I have downloaded more in the last hour than in the last week through the Aramiska link. Uploading has also started working, clearly neither were working as they could. Both uploading and downloading were occasionally starting, then failing before much could be transferred.

I have no problem with what Aramiska are doing, since we our requirements are for mainly business use. However, I can see those operating on the WISP links are going to be mightily disappointed.

robwil

Casual Member
Tony thankyou for your honest post and yes those of us who use P2P via WISP are very disapointed as nobody seems to come up with a decent reason.....bandwidth, bandwidth.....I'm close to tears.
Surely the whole point of fast connections is for plenty of bandwidth.

Now before you technical nut cases get on my case remember I'm new to this. In my mind there appears to be some confusion here. Aramiska tell me and there rep tells us they do not restrict P2P but they shape it.....Fair enough. At Aramiska rep's suggestion I goto the link......low and behold what does shaping traffic mean...it means and I quote "Peer-to-peer traffic is shaped on the Aramiska network. The overall amount of bandwidth allocated to these types of protocols is limited. This limit is set across our entire network, not per individual connection" I'm lost, it sounds to me that it is restricted in some form but they just call restricted, Traffic Shaping. Yes taht's helpful !

By the way Fudskie the Aramiska care site just explains things and doesn't tell you how to deal with situations which is great when you've got a problem ! I'll have to live with crap P2P and revert to dial up for super fast downloads. On a positive note the Aramiska serive is superb for surfing, can't fault it !!!
RoB Williams

Promotion
Cheapest Superfast ISPs
  • Hyperoptic £20.00 (*22.00)
    Avg. Speed 50Mbps, Unlimited
    Gift: None
  • Vodafone £22.00
    Avg. Speed 35Mbps, Unlimited
  • TalkTalk £22.45 (*36.00)
    Avg. Speed 38Mbps, Unlimited
  • Post Office £22.90 (*37.00)
    Avg. Speed 38Mbps, Unlimited
  • Direct Save Telecom £22.95 (*29.95)
    Avg. Speed 35Mbps, Unlimited
Prices inc. Line Rental | View All
Helpful ISP Guides and Tips
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
Promotion
The Top 20 Category Tags
  1. BT (2511)
  2. FTTP (2200)
  3. FTTC (1658)
  4. Building Digital UK (1607)
  5. Politics (1428)
  6. Openreach (1418)
  7. Business (1238)
  8. Statistics (1099)
  9. FTTH (1074)
  10. Mobile Broadband (1039)
  11. Fibre Optic (968)
  12. Ofcom Regulation (915)
  13. Wireless Internet (909)
  14. 4G (900)
  15. Virgin Media (857)
  16. Sky Broadband (595)
  17. EE (592)
  18. TalkTalk (580)
  19. Vodafone (518)
  20. Security (413)
Sponsored

Copyright © 1999 to Present - ISPreview.co.uk - All Rights Reserved - Terms  ,  Privacy and Cookie Policy  ,  Links  ,  Website Rules