Sponsored

Peoples experience with UK Online?

Jamiem1987

Casual Member
hiya im thinking about joining uk online from bulldog, just wondering if anyone has been experienced with uk onlines fair use policy?i download a hell of a lot of stuff not daily but maybe 2 big downloads a week. also can i connect to like yahoo mails pop3 server and send and receive fully through uk online?

finally hows uk online with the likes of torrents and emule? can i connect with a high id on emule?

manythanks, jamie

ManOfMeans

ULTIMATE Member
Best person to ask is darkspark he is on ukonline and loves it.

Unicast

ULTIMATE Member
UkOnline are powered by Easynet, who were acquired by Mr Murdock (Sky) in Oct last year. I'm using an Easynet connection here, and can't fault it. :D

Darkspark

ULTIMATE Member
HELLO. guys...

Yes, I am stil with them Manofmeans, and they are still perfect :D

In response to your questions Jamiem1987, I dont think you have to worry about the FUP, my household does more than 2 bigdownloads a week, and the connection is nearly always used, however as long as you dont leave utorrent on 24*7, you should be fine. It doesn't hurt to leave those big downloads till the early hours to give a good service to others you share your line with.

From my knowledge, I am on their LLU product, therefore they are a bit more relaxed on bandwidth usage, as its their own network. If you cannot get LLU, I would be careful in choosing ukonline, as I have no idea what they consider excessive use there. All I can say is that I download a few dozen gb a month, which seems fine.

As for yahoo POP3, Im using windows live mail desktop, and send/receive mails works perfectly. As do email services from the other big providers, Hotmail, AOL and Gmail.

Finally; I have no idea what a high id is with emule, but I connect fine, with good speeds depending of course on the popularity of a file.

From my knowledge, no activity I've ever wanted to carry out on my residential connection has been denied me. The service in my opinion is near perfect. If only their website was as good...

Well, now Im off to post a complaint about their email systems.

charlie_b

Casual Member
been with these for about 3 years all was great till about 2 weeks ago got a letter about fair usage policy saying that they are going to slow my speeds down due to my high downloads going on about it restricting everyone else, funny how ive downloaded the same amout of them every year and its meant to be unlimited so if anyone is thinkin to moving to them dont bother currently on 2 mbb getting awful speeds of maxmum 40kbs they said i could leave when i want to just trying to find the best out there and which ukonline certainletly isnt anymore

Darkspark

ULTIMATE Member
I certainly hope he is, otherwise I live/download in fear...

TRIaXOR™

ULTIMATE Member
thinking in doing the same as Easynet just LLUed my exchange too :D wots the pings like?

Maestro

Pro Member
Ping info for me too please!

On the LLU service (or otherwise even). Especially those not on DSLmax.

Peak times? Weekends?

Darkspark

ULTIMATE Member
Im on their LLU and there is no slowdown whatsoever regardless of time of day.
I remember when on dial up, I dreaded using the internet when I got home from school at 5pm, speeds dropped to about 21kbps as opposed to the normal 44k.

Full speed 24*7 is my experience.

However, bear in mind, I live near my exchange, 15 min walk down the road and am on their 2mb product which is extremely stable for me.

The biggest problem you may have is getting connected. Two people I recommended left before experiencing their service, because UKonline could not get a connection to them, even though their exchanges were LLU enabled.
One of them eventually got a connection, but by that time, they had already requested to leave, and it was cut off a few days later:laugh: . Suffice to say, they didn't want to go to the trouble of reconnecting again, so left for other providers.

If you get a router with the UKonline service, a Netgear is advised. Works perfectly.
A D-Link is advised against. Poor syncing and loses the connection frequently.

silversurfer

Casual Member
Currently I am with Eclipse on evolution broadband up to 8meg but only getting 2m, they traffic shape my downloads and the speed has been all but fast at times.:mad:
I'm thinking of joining UKonline, and I see from most people's comments it's better if you are on their LLU exchange, I am informed that the one at Barry is.

Does anyone know what there speeds are like I probably can have 2m and no faster.

Do they block any ports such as 25 and 110 used for e-mail?:confused:

Last edited:

GetYouHosting

Pro Member
FUP used to be 500GB on LLU they now don't specify. (iirc)
Not sure what it is on BT MAX to UKO

It's not very strict on LLU, but it is more strict on BT MAX

silversurfer

Casual Member
checking out UKOnline

Thank you 'GetYouHosting' for your help, the exchange at Barry is LLU so hopefully there will be no problem if the limits are that high, I rarely download anywhere near that amount.:)

dbcooper

Hey guys, have just joined ukonline, and my username for connecting is an @cllow.ls.ukonline.co.uk one. Does this mean I am on an LLU connection (when I can connect).

Supposed to get 22Mbps (well, 15Mbps) but have had no luck connecting today. Supposed to be a problem with the BT line. DSL signal is only intermitant on the line at the moment, and can't sustain a connection for an IP address - no successful webpage downloads yet.

GetYouHosting

Pro Member
You are on a LLU connection. Your login format shows that it is.
the first part "cllow" is your phone exchange name code.

Anything above 8Meg is definitely on a LLU connection, as bt doesn't do ADSL2 yet.

What router do you have?
Possibly it cannot hold the line stable, hence the problems you are seeing.

There are routers that can work with UKO LLU better than others.

My original router could not hold the line properly, but changing it sorted it.

dbcooper

Thanks for the reply. I am using the Netgear DG834GT that UK Online sent me. I can see up and down speeds on the router status page, but can't get an IP address, nor complete the auto config test from the router.

Any suggestions for a router? BTW, if these problems are not resolved soon (ukonline said they should be within 48 hours when I spoke to them yesterday), should I cancel the contract and go for a normal ADSL connection from a BT network using ISP -there seem to have been quite a few people who couldn't get onto the ADSL2+ service in a reasonable time frame.

Last edited:
Promotion
Cheapest Superfast ISPs
  • Hyperoptic £20.00 (*22.00)
    Avg. Speed 50Mbps, Unlimited
    Gift: None
  • Vodafone £22.00
    Avg. Speed 35Mbps, Unlimited
  • TalkTalk £22.45 (*36.00)
    Avg. Speed 38Mbps, Unlimited
  • Post Office £22.90 (*37.00)
    Avg. Speed 38Mbps, Unlimited
  • Direct Save Telecom £22.95 (*29.95)
    Avg. Speed 35Mbps, Unlimited
Prices inc. Line Rental | View All
Helpful ISP Guides and Tips
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
Promotion
The Top 20 Category Tags
  1. BT (2508)
  2. FTTP (2188)
  3. FTTC (1656)
  4. Building Digital UK (1602)
  5. Politics (1421)
  6. Openreach (1415)
  7. Business (1234)
  8. Statistics (1097)
  9. FTTH (1070)
  10. Mobile Broadband (1034)
  11. Fibre Optic (967)
  12. Ofcom Regulation (915)
  13. Wireless Internet (906)
  14. 4G (895)
  15. Virgin Media (855)
  16. Sky Broadband (594)
  17. EE (590)
  18. TalkTalk (577)
  19. Vodafone (514)
  20. Security (411)
Sponsored

Copyright © 1999 to Present - ISPreview.co.uk - All Rights Reserved - Terms  ,  Privacy and Cookie Policy  ,  Links  ,  Website Rules