Sponsored Links

Permanent drop in RSRP

Three months ago my Three broadband, which has been faultless for three years, suddenly got unreliable.
Recently it has settled down but speeds are now reduced by about 30%
I notice that my RSRP which was normally about -78dBm has now permanently dropped to -91dBm.
I also notice that for my postcode it now says broadband not available which it used to say available.
Does this mean they have turned the output power down?
The mast is only 1KM away and in direct line of sight, even driving closer to the mast makes no difference on my phone.
I am still getting about 50-70Mbps but it used to be 100+

I too have the same problem. A couple of months ago the mast I connect to with my Huawei B818 went off for a day and when it came back online the signal levels have not been the same since. (-99 dB to -107dB and a big drop in SINR). Because I'm over 10km from this mast this meant I took a big hit in performance especially upload speed.
However I have since discovered that Three have erected a new mast which is slightly closer to me but almost completely in the opposite direction. I haven't tried moving my antenna (yet) but I doubt it will do much good because I don't have LOS to this mast unless I can significantly elevate my antenna.

Sponsored Links
I had the same when my mast was upgraded with B1 and B32, B3 signal levels dropped and it became unusable. B20 was my fall back with 4G+ B32. But I am 8 miles away.

Could it be LTE cell breathing?

Exactly the same thing with me, RSSI is the same, but RSRP and RSRQ went to hell in a handcart basically overnight!

I wonder how much of it relates to a good internet experience. Example: While I was in the loft I moved my Huawei 5G modem and at one point it had -113dBm RSSI -40 dBm RSRP and -10 dB SINR (4G) 6 dB SINR5 and -17 RSRQ. Result? 650/14.

Moved it around again, -65 RSSI, -98 RSRP SINR -1 dB . Result? 700/70.
only upload improved. Although latency went from 30ms to 26

Obviously in a generic sense, stronger more high quality signal = better , faster. But sometimes i've seen horrible figures and get better speeds than with better figures but perhaps that's down to capacity. I wish I knew more about mobile to be honest. It seems hard to find out how to learn about it without going to work for one of the networks (not a chance).

Sponsored Links
I wonder how much of it relates to a good internet experience. Example: While I was in the loft I moved my Huawei 5G modem and at one point it had -113dBm RSSI -40 dBm RSRP and -10 dB SINR (4G) 6 dB SINR5 and -17 RSRQ. Result? 650/14.

Moved it around again, -65 RSSI, -98 RSRP SINR -1 dB . Result? 700/70.
only upload improved. Although latency went from 30ms to 26

Obviously in a generic sense, stronger more high quality signal = better , faster. But sometimes i've seen horrible figures and get better speeds than with better figures but perhaps that's down to capacity. I wish I knew more about mobile to be honest. It seems hard to find out how to learn about it without going to work for one of the networks (not a chance).
Not always... (as you've experienced!) only if the same band is being observed in all instances and the signal levels are the actual bottleneck (i.e. not good enough quality to be able to use higher orders of qam/mimo/ranks/etc)

Not always... (as you've experienced!) only if the same band is being observed in all instances and the signal levels are the actual bottleneck (i.e. not good enough quality to be able to use higher orders of qam/mimo/ranks/etc)
In my case, bands and cells are locked so yeah I tried to keep it scientific. Although I often resign to thinking that mobile is a dark art. Must have this chipset phone, and that antenna, and this particular setup of mast , atmospheric conditions in your favour, earth terrain too ... I guess I should just be happy with the speed and cost (both are perfectly acceptable for me). Still nothing wrong with wanting to optimise what you've got I guess.

@twocats what hardware are you using to connect to the mast?
At the moment it is a Netgear M1 connected to a PoyntingXPOL-2-5G.
I have also tried my firmware updated ZTE-MF286D which appears worse.
My phone is a Pixel 6 Pro and struggles to find BAND 3 anymore at my location.
Looking at cellmapper it only shows BAND 20 until I go outside and have a clean line of sight.

Another question is what does "5G Available (SIB2 ULI)" in Cellmapper mean as it shows as TRUE.

Sponsored Links

Attachments

• 2326c1064cb6bb5e1b91b52153dc3b87751792cf.jpeg
    2326c1064cb6bb5e1b91b52153dc3b87751792cf.jpeg
    126.6 KB · Views: 78
They may have remotely adjusted the angle of the antennas to provide more power to the near field coverage area more immediate to the mast.

This happened to me several months ago, mast I use for Broadband has three 5G and the coverage checker showed it was reaching close to me. Hence starting to upgrade to high gain antennas and 5G modem.

However the coverage checker changed and it's barely got range beyond 500m from the tower. Shame really.

I was in CEX to trade in a phone and saw a 3 branded ZTE MC801A for £120, so I took the vouchers for the phone instead which gave me an extra £60.

I gave that a go but no better than my current setup and definitely no 5G anywhere near.

CEX warned me that the router was locked to 3 but an EE SIM works fine as well.

Yes they're definitely unlocked twocats, as my Voxi (Vodafone) sim works in the router just fine too.

I tired my three ZTE MC801A with a Vodafone sim the other day and can confirm it is unlocked, I get they have some sort of deal with ZTE with have three logo printed on them..

Sponsored Links
Cheap BIG ISPs for 100Mbps+
Community Fibre UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
Gift: None
Virgin Media UK ISP Logo
Virgin Media £24.00
132Mbps
Shell Energy UK ISP Logo
Shell Energy £26.99
109Mbps
Plusnet UK ISP Logo
Plusnet £27.99
145Mbps
Zen Internet UK ISP Logo
Zen Internet £28.00 - 35.00
100Mbps
Large Availability | View All
Cheapest ISPs for 100Mbps+
Gigaclear UK ISP Logo
Gigaclear £15.00
150Mbps
YouFibre UK ISP Logo
YouFibre £19.99
150Mbps
Community Fibre UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
BeFibre UK ISP Logo
BeFibre £21.00
150Mbps
Gift: £25 Love2Shop Card
Hey! Broadband UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
Large Availability | View All

Helpful ISP Guides and Tips

Sponsored Links
The Top 15 Category Tags
  1. FTTP (5473)
  2. BT (3505)
  3. Politics (2525)
  4. Openreach (2291)
  5. Business (2251)
  6. Building Digital UK (2234)
  7. FTTC (2041)
  8. Mobile Broadband (1961)
  9. Statistics (1780)
  10. 4G (1654)
  11. Virgin Media (1608)
  12. Ofcom Regulation (1451)
  13. Fibre Optic (1392)
  14. Wireless Internet (1386)
  15. FTTH (1381)
Sponsored

Copyright © 1999 to Present - ISPreview.co.uk - All Rights Reserved - Terms  ,  Privacy and Cookie Policy  ,  Links  ,  Website Rules