Sponsored Links

pfSense 2.6.0 - gigabit fiber

I just saw your post on Reddit. Do you have any idea of the wattage draw the rig has out of interest?
Also on Cerberus is that a FTTPoD install or business?

Sponsored Links
25-30W ish!
FTTPoD install
Thats a lot lot lower than I was expecting, did you use a wattage plug or just what the devices/motherboard reports back?

I had been tempted to get FTTPoD myself but the r100 program started and covered me although its being a total PITA willing for it to finish so I can order.

Thats a lot lot lower than I was expecting, did you use a wattage plug or just what the devices/motherboard reports back?

I had been tempted to get FTTPoD myself but the r100 program started and covered me although its being a total PITA willing for it to finish so I can order.
Just a standard 11th Gen without a GPU, tends to draw somewhere in the region of 30W with a decent PSU. No measurements, just 40 years of experience.

Just a standard 11th Gen without a GPU, tends to draw somewhere in the region of 30W with a decent PSU. No measurements, just 40 years of experience.
Online searches confirm 11th gen PowerEdge's will run 30 to 35W when running as a router. Just got a R210II to run opnsense and I might put a powermeter on it when the notion arises.

Sponsored Links
Online searches confirm 11th gen PowerEdge's will run 30 to 35W when running as a router. Just got a R210II to run opnsense and I might put a powermeter on it when the notion arises.
Those are really nice numbers.
If the R210II is with an i3 it might be worth using, else it might impact the budget significantly...

I have an R415 dual Opteron I'm afraid to even start to recover some files from.. That exercise would cost me a few bucks. :))

My current router is a very old Intel Nuc DN2820FYKH, 7W TDP, with Debian. Does everything I need, AES in hardware would have been nice, but hey, can't have it all.

interesting, I'm running a Celeron 847 with Pfsense & Aquiss (Entanet) 9000/100 FTTP (PPPoE) the manual reckons about 7w loaded (5 when idle) though I've not measured it as yet.

interesting, I'm running a Celeron 847 with Pfsense & Aquiss (Entanet) 9000/100 FTTP (PPPoE) the manual reckons about 7w loaded (5 when idle) though I've not measured it as yet.
Can you sustain 900 Mbps with that Celeron over PPPoE?

Sponsored Links
I'm using a Kettop i7-7500U, with 6 LAN ports. No fans so all passive cooling and barely gets warm, pfBlocker and various firewall rules with IPv6, that handles 1000/100 FTTP no problems at all with PPPoE, all for around 5 watts!

I have an R415 dual Opteron I'm afraid to even start to recover some files from.. That exercise would cost me a few bucks. :))
You can always get yourself a USB-to-SATA adapter, take the drive out and plug it in somewhere else - unless you have some complex multi-drive RAID setup of course.

My current router is a very old Intel Nuc DN2820FYKH, 7W TDP, with Debian. Does everything I need, AES in hardware would have been nice, but hey, can't have it all.
I have two of those, maxed to 8GB RAM, running as monitoring servers with separate lxd containers for each software tool. Good enough for the job, and very cheap to run.

You can always get yourself a USB-to-SATA adapter, take the drive out and plug it in somewhere else - unless you have some complex multi-drive RAID setup of course.
That is the case indeed. :)

I have two of those, maxed to 8GB RAM, running as monitoring servers with separate lxd containers for each software tool. Good enough for the job, and very cheap to run.
Indeed, very nice, good thing you got 2 of them. If mine fails I'm fscked. I should set up a Rpi as standby.

Sponsored Links
I gather they're a bit hard to buy at the moment.

If you're using the DN2820 as a router, are you doing "router on a stick" with VLANs into a switch? Or do you have a USB-ethernet adapter for the second interface? Or some other trick?

I gather they're a bit hard to buy at the moment.

If you're using the DN2820 as a router, are you doing "router on a stick" with VLANs into a switch? Or do you have a USB-ethernet adapter for the second interface? Or some other trick?
Currently VLANs on a switch, this gives me more flexibility. I do have a few USB ethernet adapters from past adventures.

Cheap BIG ISPs for 100Mbps+
Community Fibre UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
Gift: None
Virgin Media UK ISP Logo
Virgin Media £24.00
132Mbps
Shell Energy UK ISP Logo
Shell Energy £26.99
109Mbps
Plusnet UK ISP Logo
Plusnet £27.99
145Mbps
Zen Internet UK ISP Logo
Zen Internet £28.00 - 35.00
100Mbps
Large Availability | View All
Cheapest ISPs for 100Mbps+
Gigaclear UK ISP Logo
Gigaclear £15.00
150Mbps
YouFibre UK ISP Logo
YouFibre £19.99
150Mbps
Community Fibre UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
BeFibre UK ISP Logo
BeFibre £21.00
150Mbps
Gift: Ā£25 Love2Shop Card
Hey! Broadband UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
Large Availability | View All
Sponsored Links
The Top 15 Category Tags
  1. FTTP (5472)
  2. BT (3505)
  3. Politics (2524)
  4. Openreach (2291)
  5. Business (2251)
  6. Building Digital UK (2234)
  7. FTTC (2041)
  8. Mobile Broadband (1961)
  9. Statistics (1778)
  10. 4G (1654)
  11. Virgin Media (1608)
  12. Ofcom Regulation (1451)
  13. Fibre Optic (1392)
  14. Wireless Internet (1386)
  15. FTTH (1381)
Sponsored

Copyright © 1999 to Present - ISPreview.co.uk - All Rights Reserved - Terms  ,  Privacy and Cookie Policy  ,  Links  ,  Website Rules