Sponsored Links

Phone as a 5G router

Bubblesthefish6

ULTIMATE Member
Hello everyone, recently I've been on eBay and I've managed to swipe myself an offer of a smashed Moto G50 5G that's still fully working bar the smashed glass (digitizer still works too). I have wanted a 5G router to replace my sh!t BT connection for a while now but I've never had the money to buy one. i want to know if I could use this motorola as a 5G router. It has a Snapdragon X51 modem so very good band support, and is Android 12 Ethernet tethering compatible. My plans are to get a USB C to ethernet adapter and plug it direct into my mesh WiFi network. Is there anything else I would need to concider? Thanks in advance :)

You'll need a usb-c to ethernet adapter that also has power passthrough so that the phone remains charged while tethered

And providing that it all works as expected when wired up the only thing is that the usb-c is only type 2.0, so speeds will be limited (theoretical 480Mbps, but likely lower in practice)

Sponsored Links
Yeh, I don't like the sound of the USB 2 slowing things down since I can get 800mbps on 5G in my loft.... My hunt for a sub £100 5G router continues.

that being said, if anyone on here wants to make me a cheeky offer on one, your more than welcome to... :)

Last edited:
Yeh, I don't like the sound of the USB 2 slowing things down since I can get 800mbps on 5G in my loft.... My hunt for a sub £100 5G router continues.

that being said, if anyone on here wants to make me a cheeky offer on one, your more than welcome to... :)
Why not get the unicom nv007, 150 via aliexpress?

Why not get the unicom nv007, 150 via aliexpress?
I've been thinking about one of them, but I'm still hedging my bets on a ZTE, Huawei and another ZTE on eBay at the moment. Both of which I'd prefer, but still I'd be open the the unicom if these bids don't pull through.

Sponsored Links

What benefit do you gain for the extra 350meg out of curiousity 😅 is it really going to be a significant impact over cost?

What benefit do you gain for the extra 350meg out of curiousity 😅 is it really going to be a significant impact over cost?
not knowing all my speed is bottlenecked by a slow USB connection lol

try and pick up an old Asus ROG with a broken screen.
USB 3.1 and two USB-C ports.

Sponsored Links
Ethernet tethering adapters are flaky as hell . I've tried 8 different adapters with PD (power delivery) running for 24 hour period had issues with charging and ethernet dropped randomly and had to manually pull cable out and replug into phone to reconnect.
I was using Samsung note 10+5g and s21Fe5g to test both had the same issues.

Amazon was to the rescue with my 8 returns :)

Ethernet tethering adapters are flaky as hell . I've tried 8 different adapters with PD (power delivery) running for 24 hour period had issues with charging and ethernet dropped randomly and had to manually pull cable out and replug into phone to reconnect.
I was using Samsung note 10+5g and s21Fe5g to test both had the same issues.

Amazon was to the rescue with my 8 returns :)
The adapter I recommended above was rock solid for me.

Sponsored Links
The adapter I recommended above was rock solid for me.
I followed Lucian's recommendation last year for the Lemorale. It has worked a treat since on a Samsung A22 5G.

Also see this if you already have a Gig USB-A to Ethernet adaptor https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B09N72Y9J6/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1 successfully working on a Moto G50 5G.

USB C can be a nightmare and many adaptors don't actually do what they say so I would always verify. However the above devices are pretty straight forward and I can use either of them to control battery charging whilst tethered via a Chargie without resorting to diodes and resistors.

The main issue with USB-C on phones is that the phone has to decide whether it is supplying a power feed to an accessory or receiving power in. The inclusion of a PD input ensures the phone detects a power feed straight away on plug in and the Ethernet adaptor remains powered. Ensuring a supply is present even if the charge is controlled ensures the phone stays in a charge mode and the Ethernet tethering continues.

If in doubt, especially on expensive phones, I'd use approved accessories.

Which model is that exactly?
Phone 3. I'll grab the model number: I003DD
Holy cow, that's cheap!
You might have to pay delivery and customs quite a bit though, so watch out for that.
Also that's vn007 model, as opposed to vn007+ we've been testing recently, not sure what is the difference.
VN007 is missing one of the bands we need and has a different antenna array other than that, more or less the same.

Cheap BIG ISPs for 100Mbps+
Community Fibre UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
Gift: None
Virgin Media UK ISP Logo
Virgin Media £24.00
132Mbps
Plusnet UK ISP Logo
Plusnet £27.99
145Mbps
Zen Internet UK ISP Logo
Zen Internet £28.00 - 35.00
100Mbps
Sky Broadband UK ISP Logo
100Mbps
Large Availability | View All
Cheapest ISPs for 100Mbps+
Gigaclear UK ISP Logo
Gigaclear £15.00
150Mbps
YouFibre UK ISP Logo
YouFibre £19.99
150Mbps
Community Fibre UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
BeFibre UK ISP Logo
BeFibre £21.00
150Mbps
Gift: £25 Love2Shop Card
Hey! Broadband UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
Large Availability | View All
Sponsored Links
The Top 15 Category Tags
  1. FTTP (5443)
  2. BT (3497)
  3. Politics (2513)
  4. Openreach (2285)
  5. Business (2242)
  6. Building Digital UK (2226)
  7. FTTC (2040)
  8. Mobile Broadband (1954)
  9. Statistics (1770)
  10. 4G (1648)
  11. Virgin Media (1603)
  12. Ofcom Regulation (1446)
  13. Wireless Internet (1384)
  14. Fibre Optic (1384)
  15. FTTH (1380)
Sponsored

Copyright © 1999 to Present - ISPreview.co.uk - All Rights Reserved - Terms  ,  Privacy and Cookie Policy  ,  Links  ,  Website Rules