Sponsored Links

Pi-Hole and blocking youtube adverts

Buggerlugz

ULTIMATE Member
Has anyone on here got experience with pi-hole? I've set mine up and got it working quite well (with 1.6m blocked urls) and managed to get it to work with my virgin media hub3 too.

The one thing I'm struggling with is getting it to block you-tube ads on other devices. Ublock does the job in firefox on PC's but because youtube uses the same servers to stream the video content and the adverts pi-hole struggles to block it.

I've scanned reddit and lots of forums, even adding some regex coding to my pi-hole console, but its very hit and miss because it can't really be specific enough (unlike ublock which blocks scripts directly in the browser.)

Has anyone had any success with this on pi-hole?

Not using pi-hole, but on other devices (I guess you mean smartphones), have a look at NewPipe Youtube client if on Android.

Sponsored Links
Right, then I don't see how it can be done with just pi-hole ..
I would recommend to install Kodi on the Xbox and use their Youtube app to watch stuff.
Been using Kodi for Youtube for years and it's a great experience most of the time.
I had to use the Youtube oficial "app" on the Firestick TV briefly and was shocked at the cesspool of ads and all sort of crappy promos and "recommendations"; enough to turn your brain into swiss cheese..

What happens is, when you request a video on youtube it calls the same server twice. It'll have 2 dns queries looking like this....

something-sn-4g5e6nze.googlevideo.com

The 1st lookup is the video and the second is the advert stream. Ideally, I need a way of getting the pi-hole to filter the second dns lookup but allow the 1st one.

I use SmarTubeNext on my FireTV Cube, Google TV, Tablet and mobile, works great to get rid of the ever annoying amount of ads they throw at you.

SmartTubeNext

Been using it for a while now and it's regularly updated too, only for Android devices though. :cool:

There's no cardholder address verification on their payment backend so you could use a VPN to subscribe to YouTube Premium. I subscribe via India and pay around £1.30 a month for an individual sub.

IMO that's worth it for not having to faff around with third party apps and/or complex ad blocking solutions.

Sponsored Links
I pay a fiver a year for access to Premium (works because it's a shared family membership, but nothing else is shared). Well worth it. Previously used the India method also and it's worth it even at that price.

Well, I gave up with the pi-hole altogether. Its a cool concept, but overall its lacking in so many areas it can't be an effective method of network ad-blocking, certainly in 2021.

Yeah, you definitely need something able to parse content and weed the ads out.. As i said, either install Kodi (if it's still possible) and watch Youtube thorough their addon or pay for Premium.

I find kodi you-tube to be problematic also with keys required to get it to work and jumping through hoops using the google API's. Which is why i've been using the xbox one on the tv.

Sponsored Links
Yeah, it can be a pita. Google is trying to fight on all fronts. :)

Yeah, no matter what I try i always get the google auth error come up. I can't understand why they don't just use the "sign in from your phone" thing, which works fine on the xbox, then just remembers it.

If only the xbox didn't bombard you with 2 adverts on every youtube video!

Yeah, no matter what I try i always get the google auth error come up. I can't understand why they don't just use the "sign in from your phone" thing, which works fine on the xbox, then just remembers it.

If only the xbox didn't bombard you with 2 adverts on every youtube video!
I did manage to set up my own yt api keys after which it does indeed ask you to "sign in via phone" like xbox.

The big difference I guess is the fact xbox app already has the api keys all set up, whereas Kodi's are banned or something.

Cheap BIG ISPs for 100Mbps+
Community Fibre UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
Gift: None
Virgin Media UK ISP Logo
Virgin Media £24.00
132Mbps
Shell Energy UK ISP Logo
Shell Energy £26.99
109Mbps
Plusnet UK ISP Logo
Plusnet £27.99
145Mbps
Zen Internet UK ISP Logo
Zen Internet £28.00 - 35.00
100Mbps
Large Availability | View All
Cheapest ISPs for 100Mbps+
Gigaclear UK ISP Logo
Gigaclear £15.00
150Mbps
YouFibre UK ISP Logo
YouFibre £19.99
150Mbps
Community Fibre UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
BeFibre UK ISP Logo
BeFibre £21.00
150Mbps
Gift: £25 Love2Shop Card
Hey! Broadband UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
Large Availability | View All

Helpful ISP Guides and Tips

Sponsored Links
The Top 15 Category Tags
  1. FTTP (5473)
  2. BT (3505)
  3. Politics (2525)
  4. Openreach (2291)
  5. Business (2251)
  6. Building Digital UK (2234)
  7. FTTC (2041)
  8. Mobile Broadband (1961)
  9. Statistics (1780)
  10. 4G (1654)
  11. Virgin Media (1608)
  12. Ofcom Regulation (1451)
  13. Fibre Optic (1392)
  14. Wireless Internet (1386)
  15. FTTH (1381)
Sponsored

Copyright © 1999 to Present - ISPreview.co.uk - All Rights Reserved - Terms  ,  Privacy and Cookie Policy  ,  Links  ,  Website Rules