Sponsored Links

Plusnet Speed Problems

Locutus

Casual Member
I switched from BT to Plusnet (I wish I didn't) and my Internet speed is haywire, one minute, it's gen 1 ADSL speed, and one minute it's the full 60Mb connection. At one time, the broadband was just not working at all. I contacted PN they said I needed 10 days for the line to adjust - it's been 5 at ToW. They ran diagnostics at their end, they said that there was no problems at all, and coming back at good speeds.

I asked them if it was normal for the broadband to go from fast, to crawling in this time period and huge speed swings? They said yes, it does happen occasionally.

I tried troubleshooting with them saying I think it's a problem with the router, because I couldn't even connect to the router's admin page. Then it said connected, then disconnected to the Internet. PN just shrugged their shoulders and said no one knows what the problem is. I tried explaining that I shouldn't have any problems connecting the router itself. They just shrugged their shoulders.

They would have to call out Openreach to check my line, and they said if there was no problem, I would have to pay for it, which I understand, or wait the 10 days, without Internet, and then they will send someone out from Openreach.

So, I decided to just do a factory reset of the router, which actually helped significantly. My Internet is still a bit stuttery, but is much more stable than it was before, and I do have Internet, speed still fluctuates significantly. My upload speed is nearly always consistently around the 10Mpbs and faster than the download speed.

But I'm surprised that it takes 10 days for the line to calm down, especially when I'm just going to another BT owned business.

Any suggestions?

Thank you

I think they are BS'ing you; I have butted heads with PN support in the past; on behalf of my mother, whose line they were throttling and lying about it.
Try a different router, the TPLink ones are reasonably cheap and easy to configure - and see if that cures the problem; if it doesnt, the line is at fault and you need to nag them to get it sorted; or they have buggered something up during the migration and wont admit it.

Trying a different router is always cheaper than a call-out fee; which is why I always keep a spare.

Is it just the WiFi that’s dropping, or is the hub loosing connection?
If it’s just the WiFi and your hub has smart set up, turn it off. Then, try changing the WiFi mode from 1 to 2 or 3 (advanced settings/wireless, bottom of the page).

Sponsored Links
To ensure all issues are PN's disconnect all internal phone wiring and connect the router directly to the line.
Ensure all speed tests are using a wired connection to the Router
Use two different devices if possible to confirm.
I know its basic but this is just to check you haven't inadvertantly introduced an issue on changeover.

You should not have to spend anything as I am assuming Plusnet have sent out a new router. I am also assuming FTTC to FTTC not ADSL to FTTC.

If your service was acceptable from BT then it is unlikely to be a line/card issue and the line should have settled down again by now. If you have proved it outside and hence PN you should insist on them resolving the issue without any liability/cost to yourself. If they do not I would cancel the contract.

If the line service is good on a wired connection then connect to the router closely on 2.4 WIFI and test. As you have already reset the Router if you do not get good consistent speed insist on a new router.

If the WIFI is good next to the router retest around the house. It may indicate interference from another router (depends on your location/housing). Look for other signals and lock your router to other channels for 2.4 and 5. Don't let it auto detect.

ISPs should do more to resolve service issues.

So it turned out to be a Wi-Fi issue, I plugged an older laptop in that had Ethernet, and I was getting the correct speed.

I tried different channels on the router, and never got the full speed on any channel, some where just crawling slow.

I also tried Ethernet over Power, and I just got the same speed over Wi-Fi as I was before, despite it being a 100Mb connection.

After that, I just bought a 15m CAT6 Ethernet cable to connect from my desktop to the router, and the speed is now perfect.

I have a 70Mb connection.

I would personally not use Plusnet again, after their support. It takes so long to speak to someone. Previously, I was with BT and I could phone up someone 24/7 and my call would be answered in a couple of minutes, Plusnet, on average 20 minutes...

I thought Plusnet would have good support since it was a BT company, and had won awards for their customer service. Next time, I will stick with BT.

Do you live in an apartment or terraced row of houses?

It's a bit odd for all of the bands to be so heavily congested that you're not getting usable speeds.

Are you sure you're connecting to a 5GHz channel and not an older 2.4GHz one?

Ive been suffering big variance in speed with plusnet over the last month or so. Master socket and my mesh wifi system only a few months old so doubtful its them. Ill be replacing the cabling like rj45/ethernets on nxt cpl days and plugging straight to laptop to see what issue is. Have so far generally just put it down to the PN network as there appears to ne so many complaints flying around forums and Trustpilot.

Sponsored Links
I went via the test socket last night and then ran it back to the router to laptop via ethernet and its still acting up. Get fullish line speed one minute then lose a few meg the next. Master socket is the 5c mk4 only few months old, all rj11 and rj45 cabling is all new.
Rang plusnet this morning and they reckon line is connecting at 76mbps but ive not hit that in ages. My screenshots are apparently too big to upload but regularly get anywhere between 50-70meg. Upload seems fine. Its just the download.

only thing ive not replaced now is the router as ive not got spare one here. Ordered spare but wont be here until 5th jan.

Any ideas of what could be causing the loss of speed?

Cheap BIG ISPs for 100Mbps+
Community Fibre UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
Gift: None
Virgin Media UK ISP Logo
Virgin Media £24.00
132Mbps
Shell Energy UK ISP Logo
Shell Energy £26.99
109Mbps
Plusnet UK ISP Logo
Plusnet £27.99
145Mbps
Zen Internet UK ISP Logo
Zen Internet £28.00 - 35.00
100Mbps
Large Availability | View All
Cheapest ISPs for 100Mbps+
Gigaclear UK ISP Logo
Gigaclear £15.00
150Mbps
YouFibre UK ISP Logo
YouFibre £19.99
150Mbps
Community Fibre UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
BeFibre UK ISP Logo
BeFibre £21.00
150Mbps
Gift: £25 Love2Shop Card
Hey! Broadband UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
Large Availability | View All

Helpful ISP Guides and Tips

Sponsored Links
The Top 15 Category Tags
  1. FTTP (5473)
  2. BT (3505)
  3. Politics (2525)
  4. Openreach (2291)
  5. Business (2251)
  6. Building Digital UK (2234)
  7. FTTC (2041)
  8. Mobile Broadband (1961)
  9. Statistics (1780)
  10. 4G (1654)
  11. Virgin Media (1608)
  12. Ofcom Regulation (1451)
  13. Fibre Optic (1392)
  14. Wireless Internet (1386)
  15. FTTH (1381)
Sponsored

Copyright © 1999 to Present - ISPreview.co.uk - All Rights Reserved - Terms  ,  Privacy and Cookie Policy  ,  Links  ,  Website Rules