Sponsored

Pole mounted fibre in our village? G.Fast? Better?

nrsp

Hello All,

We're in a small hamlet of about 20 houses, about 2+ miles from our only fttc cabinet, which is in the next village. We currently get ~14/0.75 Mbps down/up on fttc dsl.

In the last week, BT have been hanging fibre alongside the copper on their poles and what look like over sized rounded distribution points have also been mounted about half way up most poles.

IMG_20190509_161721.jpg

Bad photo attached.

Could anyone here that knows better, suggest what it is that they might be installing, as we can't find anything on dslchecker.bt.com ?

We're all keeping our fingers crossed that it might be pole mounted g.fast or better..?

Thanks!

nrsp

Kits

Super Moderator
Staff member
ISPreview Team
Considering BT have put an end of life on copper it will be FTTP all those on products using copper anywhare will sooner or later move on to FTTP. G.fast is not what they expected the speed falls off so much quicker than they expected. I can see the cabinet two poles from it but G.Fast is not available as the expected speeds were below my FTTC speeds. You will perhaps find a little more looking at BT whereandwhen. https://www.homeandbusiness.openreach.co.uk/fibre-broadband/when-can-i-get-fibre

Mark.J

Administrator
Staff member
ISPreview Team
It would help to know the name of the village and which part of the UK this is? However in rural areas it's unlikely to be G.fast and FTTP does seem more likely, but it's also possible that they may simply be running an optical fibre through the area and not yet to individual homes.

In any case I'd caution that it can be a long time, from the point where you first see engineers to the point where a service goes live, before you may be able to order anything new.

nrsp

Thanks Mark, thanks Kits,

We're in a hamlet called Westcot, in a parish called Sparsholt, in the Vale of the White Horse, Oxfordshire.

If you go to the Better Broadband Oxfordshire checker map here:

And enter 'Parish' & 'Sparsholt', you'll see that we're marked as the Westerly red dots, listed as 'anticipated complete by the end of June 2019'.

Our exchange is Childrey (SMCDU)

FTTP really would be great...

nrsp

Diggory

The Oxfordshire BDUK scheme is mostly moving to FTTP instead of FTTC for the remainder of the scheme (it seems to me.)

That looks like FTTP to me. They fibred-up a hamlet near me last year, but as Mark says, from start to available took a very long time. (Feb to late summer if I remember correctly.)

The 'cabinet' map on the BBFO website shows which sites are getting FTTP if my detective skills are right: the sites where they build FTTC cabinets have a 'P' in them, and where they do FTTP there's a 'V' in the reference. Note that since they only use part of the postcode, the locations are always a bit wrong...

See here:

nrsp

Interesting insight Diggory, thank you.

Could bode well, even if the anticipated delivery date is ambitious.

nrsp

nrsp

Spoke to an engineer terminating fibre on the pole outside my house today and it turns out that it's fttp and that it'll be live in a couple of weeks or so.

Winner!

bulldog

ULTIMATE Member
Spoke to an engineer terminating fibre on the pole outside my house today and it turns out that it's fttp and that it'll be live in a couple of weeks or so.

Winner!
Never believe any words what they say to u!

Captain_Cretin

ULTIMATE Member
Never believe any words what they say to u!
If it is one of the increasingly rare , genuine OR engineers, they tend to be reliable, the contractors are a bunch of BS'ers.

Promotion
Cheapest Superfast ISPs
  • Hyperoptic £20.00 (*22.00)
    Avg. Speed 50Mbps, Unlimited
    Gift: None
  • Vodafone £22.00
    Avg. Speed 35Mbps, Unlimited
  • TalkTalk £22.45 (*36.00)
    Avg. Speed 38Mbps, Unlimited
  • Post Office £22.90 (*37.00)
    Avg. Speed 38Mbps, Unlimited
  • Direct Save Telecom £22.95 (*29.95)
    Avg. Speed 35Mbps, Unlimited
Prices inc. Line Rental | View All
Helpful ISP Guides and Tips
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
Promotion
The Top 20 Category Tags
  1. BT (2509)
  2. FTTP (2196)
  3. FTTC (1657)
  4. Building Digital UK (1606)
  5. Politics (1425)
  6. Openreach (1417)
  7. Business (1238)
  8. Statistics (1098)
  9. FTTH (1072)
  10. Mobile Broadband (1036)
  11. Fibre Optic (967)
  12. Ofcom Regulation (915)
  13. Wireless Internet (906)
  14. 4G (898)
  15. Virgin Media (857)
  16. Sky Broadband (595)
  17. EE (591)
  18. TalkTalk (579)
  19. Vodafone (517)
  20. Security (412)
Sponsored

Copyright © 1999 to Present - ISPreview.co.uk - All Rights Reserved - Terms  ,  Privacy and Cookie Policy  ,  Links  ,  Website Rules