Sponsored

Poor connection strike rate

grapher

I have been using NDO unmetered for two or three months doing so from Lincolnshire. Dropped out connection attempts have always occurred but the last month has been so bad that there are periods in the day when it is impossible to get past "Verifying User name & Password". Especially in the evenings.

I would like to know if this problem is widespread across the country? The most frustrating part is the stone wall encountered when I have tried to get to the root cause. If it isn't NDO servers then it is certainly somewhere else. The difficulty fits exactly with times when 'Net traffic will be at its UK peaks. So it is tempting to conclude that it is a capacity problem in someone's kit. I suspect that the bottleneck is well know to the insider but cost implication probably make a solution not profitable especially as it is a peak-time only kind of problem.

I do not refer to Engaged lines BTW but drop out right at the password verification point. I am very close now to swapping ISP to one of the big boy providers just to see if they are any better.

http://www.madeinhouse.co.uk

miffie

ULTIMATE Member
grapher if you post your comments in NDO`s own forum there are technical support staff checking it out regularly they recently asked people who are having connection problems to contact them to be given a different Dialup number a lot depends on your local exchange being busy give Tech support a chance to help you
miffie

lighterboy

ULTIMATE Member
Hello

Its a well known problem you are describing that is based on a capacity issue with the telco provider.

Had you called their Support team they would have given you a different number on a different telco network to use which by-passes the problem entirely.

Also visitng their forums as Miffie says would also tell you the solution.

Its a known problem and they are working with their telco to resolve.

Its always best to contact NDO (I've learned) or use their forums for fixes to the problems as they are a very helpful bunch and almost always have a fix for any problem.

Lighterboy

grapher

Poor connection rates

Thanks for your helpful posts guys. However, I have communicated at great length with NDO support furnishing extensive modem log files. I received and responded to their recent e-mail on the subject of capacity and Telco provisions. I find that their second, alternative number is about as bad as is the 0845 one.

I also think that the NDO support staff exhibit THE most helpful support responses I have ever experienced. A company can be supremely kind and exhibit the most helpful manner but still fail its customers! Sadly, NDO do not furnish answers to my objective questions e.g. Where precisely is the process stalling? If that is not known then why not admit it? If the root cause is known then surely the solution should not take months to provide and if it does, as is the case here, who is or are the culpable parties? Name them!

Finally, to my simple mind, getting as far as "Verifying user name" says that I am falling at the NDO servers. Is that true of false? If it is true then why is it taking months for NDO to fix it? I have never discovered anything about server status that says any other than "no problems". Another puzzling contradiction?

This connection took four attempts at 0755!!!!!

jessie

Casual Member
I think your problem must be regional.

Ive been with NDO for a few months now - joined in a post holiday bout of madness with old ISP in August and i haven't once had the problem your describing.

I lived through a November of problems when their Telco really let them down - but those seem to have all been resolved now. It works fine for me pretty much first time all the time.

Perhaps its something on your computer - are you running an old version of windows? Tried re-installing your modem and things? You said its bad on all their unmetered numbers and the 0845 service - that really sounds more local to you than anything else.

Good luck getting it solved anyway.
Jess

Promotion
Cheapest Superfast ISPs
  • Hyperoptic £19.95 (*22.00)
    Avg. Speed 50Mbps, Unlimited
    Gift: Promo Code: HYPER20
  • SSE £22.00
    Avg. Speed 35Mbps, Unlimited
    Gift: None
  • Plusnet £22.50 (*35.98)
    Avg. Speed 36Mbps, Unlimited
    Gift: £50 Reward Card
  • xln telecom £22.74 (*47.94)
    Avg. Speed 66Mbps, Unlimited
  • Onestream £22.99 (*34.99)
    Avg. Speed 35Mbps, Unlimited
Prices inc. Line Rental | View All
Helpful ISP Guides and Tips
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
Promotion
The Top 20 Category Tags
  1. BT (2741)
  2. FTTP (2670)
  3. FTTC (1768)
  4. Building Digital UK (1723)
  5. Politics (1631)
  6. Openreach (1592)
  7. Business (1403)
  8. FTTH (1330)
  9. Statistics (1223)
  10. Mobile Broadband (1195)
  11. Fibre Optic (1048)
  12. 4G (1027)
  13. Wireless Internet (1009)
  14. Ofcom Regulation (1004)
  15. Virgin Media (992)
  16. EE (678)
  17. Sky Broadband (662)
  18. TalkTalk (653)
  19. Vodafone (651)
  20. 5G (487)
Sponsored

Copyright © 1999 to Present - ISPreview.co.uk - All Rights Reserved - Terms  ,  Privacy and Cookie Policy  ,  Links  ,  Website Rules