Sponsored Links

Poor Upload Speed

boogie

Hi,

I've just switched from BT to TalkTalk for my FTTC broadband because BT couldn't rectify a slow upload speed that first started around mid-November last year despite 3 or 4 openreach engineer visits.

The final check carried out by BT was a 24-hour test with no devices connected. My line speed is showing as 7.5mbps at the router but the test showed a 2.5mbps result. BT told me the problem was as a result of me having 30 devices connected and this was affecting the bandwidth available to each device. There are two people in my household and these devices are two laptops, two mobile phones, two tablets, a kindle, several amazon echo devices, a main sky q box with 2 sky q receivers and several smart plugs. Only up to 2 of any of the laptops, mobiles and tablets would be used at any one time.

Regular (several times a day) speed test results show an upload speed of 0.11mbps to 0.76mbps and it's impossible to send an email with any attachment over 2mb in size. This is the same even with all devices disconnected and regardless of a wired or wireless connection. I've also noticed the speed dips even further from around lunchtime.

Since we've switched to TalkTalk there is no change (except for very occassionally I've managed to get an upload speed test result of 5.4mbps, but a test run straight after returns the normal slow upload), although I do appreciate we're only 5 days into the settling in period for the line.

Before I start to discuss the performance issue with TalkTalk I just want to see if there are any suggestions for me to try that might sort this issue without relying on my ISP or openreach?

Thanks,
Steve

Hi,

That sounds bad.
What I'd do is disconnect everything, turn the wifi off, plug a network cable in the talktalk hub/router and connect it to the laptop.
Try to do the speed tests like that. I appreciate you need things connected for work etc, but you need to rule them out somehow.

If the line has performance issues, then it'll be bad regardless of which ISP is using it.
While in the grace period, might want to check availability of broadband on separate infrastructure, such as Virginimedia or mobile broadband.

Hi,

That sounds bad.
What I'd do is disconnect everything, turn the wifi off, plug a network cable in the talktalk hub/router and connect it to the laptop.
Try to do the speed tests like that. I appreciate you need things connected for work etc, but you need to rule them out somehow.

If the line has performance issues, then it'll be bad regardless of which ISP is using it.
While in the grace period, might want to check availability of broadband on separate infrastructure, such as Virginimedia or mobile broadband.
Unfortunately in this area we only have FTTC and mobile signals are pretty poor - albeit 3 mobile data seems to be ok when my daughter visits (or at least when she could before lockdown).

I've disconnected everything, turned off SSID broadcast and connected my laptop via ethernet. Upload varied between 2.27 and 5.26 over several tests.

I've connected everything again and also reinstalled a mesh network I took out as soon as our problems with BT started. I've been getting between 2.65 and 3.87 consistently this afternoon and we seem to be able to upload images and send emails with attachments again. Fingers crossed the line is settling and talktalk have somehow managed to remove whatever throttling had been applied on our line.

Sponsored Links
Don’t forget, most of your devices will be online even when they are idle, so it may well be something is hogging your bandwidth.
Can you look in the TT hubs manager and see which devices are using the most?

Cheap BIG ISPs for 100Mbps+
Community Fibre UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
Gift: None
Virgin Media UK ISP Logo
Virgin Media £24.00
132Mbps
Shell Energy UK ISP Logo
Shell Energy £26.99
109Mbps
Plusnet UK ISP Logo
Plusnet £27.99
145Mbps
Zen Internet UK ISP Logo
Zen Internet £28.00 - 35.00
100Mbps
Large Availability | View All
Cheapest ISPs for 100Mbps+
Gigaclear UK ISP Logo
Gigaclear £15.00
150Mbps
YouFibre UK ISP Logo
YouFibre £19.99
150Mbps
Community Fibre UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
BeFibre UK ISP Logo
BeFibre £21.00
150Mbps
Gift: £25 Love2Shop Card
Hey! Broadband UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
Large Availability | View All
Sponsored Links
The Top 15 Category Tags
  1. FTTP (5468)
  2. BT (3505)
  3. Politics (2523)
  4. Openreach (2290)
  5. Business (2251)
  6. Building Digital UK (2233)
  7. FTTC (2041)
  8. Mobile Broadband (1961)
  9. Statistics (1778)
  10. 4G (1654)
  11. Virgin Media (1608)
  12. Ofcom Regulation (1451)
  13. Fibre Optic (1392)
  14. Wireless Internet (1386)
  15. FTTH (1381)
Sponsored

Copyright © 1999 to Present - ISPreview.co.uk - All Rights Reserved - Terms  ,  Privacy and Cookie Policy  ,  Links  ,  Website Rules