Sponsored

Port Blocking

Happy_2008

Hi everyone, i am looking to join ukonline but i would like to hear from some feedback on there service? I am looking to use this service for some downloads using limewire and bit torrent but i am not convinced that they would work well with there port blocking. :(

ProfPete

ISP Rep
Its fairly common knowledge...

Rare

Top Member
I got this off their website....

Yes. We run port-blocking on all of our broadband services in order to maintain quality of service for all of our customers, so you will not be able to run a mail or web server. We block ports 25, 80, 8080 and 3128.

Of course, I won't be using ukonline either!

ProfPete

ISP Rep
Oh, only incoming port blocks.

I was under the impression they blocked a number of common ports (P2P) in both directions :shrug:

stealth_worm

Top Member
you can use p2p. I too had this question, but I found on another forum that they dont block p2p. I signed with them a week ago, and my line was to be activated today, but BT hasnt done it, if they havent done it by tomorrow afternoon, I shall be sending emails.

onephat

ULTIMATE Member
Think its because UKonline are more designed as a family ISP so to protect their users they prob block everything under the sun.

stealth_worm

Top Member
got activated today, damn now I got broadband I`m lost what to do with it. lol. I shall try p2p at some point, see what goes.

Happy_2008

Stealth, which package did you decide to go with in the end? I am looking to go for the 2mb package at £29.99 as i am not on there network.
Could you give me a review on the sevice in general/speed and of course p2p. Also have you tried playin online games with them?

Darkspark

ULTIMATE Member
Been using them for some time now on the 2mb package.

I can say from experience they do not port block P2P programs, only ports that people may use to make money or to use their connections for server like traffic which is detrimental to everyone else.

Online games run excellent. You will get POE when you go online. (Pings of Envy), and a whole lot of people saying you are cheating and to "fix your ping", you're a hacker....etc. :crap: I live close to my local exchange so I have a really good connection.

Download measurements using BT broadband checker are usually around 1700-2100k

Frits

One Year on..............

No port blocking on p2p. Been using for exactly 1 year and never been disconnected or sent any emails telling me that i am their breaking usage policy. 2mb £14.99 LLU package. My PC is on 24/7 using Bit Torrent.

Still one year later and nobody can match the speed or price. Unfortunately as i live too far from the local exchange thats the max speed i can get.

:smilet:

jdtaylor

ULTIMATE Member
Hm, With smtp normally on port 25 it does ask the question, if they block outgoing how do they expect people to send emails through the normal port?

Promotion
Cheapest Superfast ISPs
  • Hyperoptic £20.00 (*22.00)
    Avg. Speed 50Mbps, Unlimited
    Gift: None
  • Vodafone £22.00
    Avg. Speed 35Mbps, Unlimited
  • TalkTalk £22.45 (*36.00)
    Avg. Speed 38Mbps, Unlimited
  • Post Office £22.90 (*37.00)
    Avg. Speed 38Mbps, Unlimited
  • Direct Save Telecom £22.95 (*29.95)
    Avg. Speed 35Mbps, Unlimited
Prices inc. Line Rental | View All
Helpful ISP Guides and Tips
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
Promotion
The Top 20 Category Tags
  1. BT (2512)
  2. FTTP (2204)
  3. FTTC (1658)
  4. Building Digital UK (1607)
  5. Politics (1428)
  6. Openreach (1419)
  7. Business (1239)
  8. Statistics (1099)
  9. FTTH (1076)
  10. Mobile Broadband (1039)
  11. Fibre Optic (969)
  12. Ofcom Regulation (916)
  13. Wireless Internet (909)
  14. 4G (900)
  15. Virgin Media (857)
  16. Sky Broadband (595)
  17. EE (592)
  18. TalkTalk (580)
  19. Vodafone (518)
  20. Security (413)
Sponsored

Copyright © 1999 to Present - ISPreview.co.uk - All Rights Reserved - Terms  ,  Privacy and Cookie Policy  ,  Links  ,  Website Rules