Sponsored

Port Forwarding

Big Sime

Casual Member
Hiyya All,

Just wondering if some of you techie guys can help me to resolve a problem. I have the 1Mb service and I need to call in to my office from home to access CCTV pictures.

Now in reality, all I should need to do is type my private IP address followed by a space and then 1024 (being the port which the equipment is using) and then I should be able to see my CCTV pictures. I know it works like this on a standard BT telephone line based system, because I have set this system up for other people and it works just fine. However, the satellite is another beast !!

However, I just cannot get the system to do this. I have got the VPN set to forward to the Internal NIC of my server (SBS 2000) and as far as I can deduce, that should be it.

The CCTV equipment is a sort of mini PC with it's own IP address (192.168.1.5) and so as such I have gone into one of the setups of SBS 2000 (ISA server) and told it that a request for port 1024 should lead to IP address 192.168.1.5

Is this right or am I just missing something here.

Any help gratefully received

Big Sime

Casual Member
Port Forwarding etc

Deeno,

I don't really understand what you mean by typing 192.168.1.5:1024

If I typed this into my web browser at home I would not expect to get anywhere as this is an IP address which is reserved for internal LAN usage. Were you thinking of something else ???

Stan,

Thanks, but I have already checked out the care page at Aramiska and this is not too helpful in my case.

It's just that I need to get this resolved ASAP, because a company near me want the Aramiska solution, but ONLY if I can prove that we can get this to work, as they will want to do the same thing.

Last edited:

Satellite Stan

Pro Member
CS

Big Sime,

Try Customer Support 00800 272 64252, there will be a techie on today that will help you achieve your desired result

stan

Kyle

ULTIMATE Member
Re: Port Forwarding etc

Big Sime said:

I don't really understand what you mean by typing 192.168.1.5:1024

If I typed this into my web browser at home I would not expect to get anywhere as this is an IP address which is reserved for internal LAN usage. Were you thinking of something else ???
Exactly. If I typed 192.168.100.1 into my browser, I would then get the modem config pages for my blueyonder (LAN) connection.

deeno

Casual Member
I don’t know your set up but I presume you are streaming in some format from the cam and pc that’s driving it.
If it is windows media for example you would type.
http:// 192.168.1.5:1024 or mms:// 192.168.1.5:1024
depending on your remote vpn set up it another possible is use the name of the office computer followed by the port number.
are you able to execute other functions through the vpn?

DanG

Your setup is as follows?

PC -- Internet -- ARC - EXT NIC-SBS2000-INT NIC - LAN - CCTV PC

Your pc is creating a VPN connection to external IP of ARC... which inturn forwards to external IP of SBS2000 using PPTP. Connection established, your first check should be talking to somthing on the SBS2000 server.. as remote terminal services is installed and running by default try connecting to that using remote desktop using ip of internal NIC on the SBS2000. If that works then your connection is sound. Assuming your CCTV pc doesn't have a firewall or any other crazy stuff try pining IP of it. If you get a result then you have proved connection and you should be able to use the machine as normal. If you don't get a result make sure you can connect directly from your SBS2000 server to your CCTV application. Next check the DHCP address range that is assigned on your RAS. It should be set to use the same ip range as your internal lan.... or at least the same as your CCTV pc if you want to do some clever stuff later on. As i don't know whether your PC is connected by VPN directly or through a router-router VPN you need to makes sure IP Routing is on.... also if you are using a router-router VPN make sure you swap each of the user names other either side.

Sorry if you know this already but thought i might help/
Cheers
Dan

DanG

Are you saying that Aramiska now have a policy in place to open ports? In this case he is using VPN so doesn't need any ports opening and VPN would be a prefered method for security in any case.

Big Sime

Casual Member
Thanks guys for all of your replies.

I can now report I have got the solution to work. Originally, I had done this: -

Dial into to server using VPN, Then use Terminal Services and then run CCTV image viewing software from off the server. In principle it sort of worked, but not very well. HOWEVER I have now sussed it doing: -

Dial into server using VPN, then run the CCTV software programme (installed on my home pc) and then select the IP address of the CCTV image system on my LAN at work. It works fine, but obviously speed is poor.

Unfortunately it's a combination of I only have 56k modem at home (broadband in 39 days & counting) and the VPN service encrypting all of the data - Encryption is much more important after all.

Promotion
Cheapest Superfast ISPs
  • Hyperoptic £20.00 (*22.00)
    Avg. Speed 50Mbps, Unlimited
    Gift: None
  • Vodafone £22.00
    Avg. Speed 35Mbps, Unlimited
  • TalkTalk £22.45 (*36.00)
    Avg. Speed 38Mbps, Unlimited
  • Post Office £22.90 (*37.00)
    Avg. Speed 38Mbps, Unlimited
  • Direct Save Telecom £22.95 (*29.95)
    Avg. Speed 35Mbps, Unlimited
Prices inc. Line Rental | View All
Helpful ISP Guides and Tips
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
Promotion
The Top 20 Category Tags
  1. BT (2511)
  2. FTTP (2200)
  3. FTTC (1658)
  4. Building Digital UK (1607)
  5. Politics (1428)
  6. Openreach (1418)
  7. Business (1238)
  8. Statistics (1099)
  9. FTTH (1074)
  10. Mobile Broadband (1039)
  11. Fibre Optic (968)
  12. Ofcom Regulation (915)
  13. Wireless Internet (909)
  14. 4G (900)
  15. Virgin Media (857)
  16. Sky Broadband (595)
  17. EE (592)
  18. TalkTalk (580)
  19. Vodafone (518)
  20. Security (413)
Sponsored

Copyright © 1999 to Present - ISPreview.co.uk - All Rights Reserved - Terms  ,  Privacy and Cookie Policy  ,  Links  ,  Website Rules