Sponsored Links

Possible 3 Mast

Hey all,

Been a while since I posted here. So just an update. I have had some equipment being installed at the new Pole site. Right now just a few grey boxes and some sort of yellow covering.

However just got a few questions I wonder if people can help with.

On roadworksscotland website it says the promoter of the works is ee (t-mobile) so even though the planning application has pretty much 3 written all over it and there is a mention of how 3 and ee so have a pole sharing agreement. Because the promoter on that road works site says it’s ee. Does that mean this Pole will actually host 3 and ee equipment?

Or could it be that the pole will one day also host ee equipment but at the moment to start of it will be 3? Any where on the planning application would I be able to see if ee will actually be putting on equipment?

Thanks

Most likely if it's a new pole it'll be three only (unilateral), unfortunately.
Screenshot_20220108-102014_Adobe Acrobat.jpg

Like my ghost mast Gavin, it mentions being unilateral.
Perhaps I actually dreamt it all. :unsure:😊

No, it must be real, there it is in black and white. :rolleyes:

I have the exact same information the wee bear. Hope they sort out your installation soon. Then I guess it’s a waiting game when they switch it on.
I know, I still check every day for the roadworks appearing again Nomader.

Don't know what's happened to them.:(

Can't be working on other local poles of wonder, they've all been refused.

Just one more in Dreghorn awaiting its decision, wonder how that'll go.

Big sigh. :rolleyes:

Good news all. My 3 pole of wonder has been installed. The guys just finished the work the other day. It came out of nowhere. They did it overnight.

Now I spoke to one of the guys who installed it and asked when it would be switched on. As I mentioned the other poles that are about a mile or 2 away well 2 of them in total aren’t on yet. That’s according to 3’s coverage checker. (By the way how accurate is the coverage checker)

Anyways the guy said the pole outside my house should be getting commissioned in a few weeks. I imagine commissioned means switched on?

If that is the case then happy days for me. However even though I am happy it’s been installed I do wonder if 3 were waiting for my pole to be installed before they activate the other 2 near by.

Anyways once it’s installed I need to make a decision about my internet needs. The rest of the folks in my house are happy with FTTC. FTTP is planned to be installed by 2025 maybe earlier. I just want faster download and upload speeds and with 3 pole I will get that.

However do I make a decision to switch out my sim from ee to 3 or Smarty and get great 5G speeds at home on my device but suffer from maybe not so good service around the Glasgow area on 3. As ee is really good with 5G outside my area.

Or do I get a cheap smarty sim and put it in a mobile router and keep my ee sim for my mobile. I would be paying twice I guess then. One for the smarty sim and one for my ee sim. Then again I am wondering if I will get good speeds with my mobile connected to mobile router. As the last time I experimented with ee in a mobile router the speeds I got connected via Wi-Fi to the router were poor compared to speeds with the sim in my mobile device. Decisions decisions.

I am not planning on buying 5G home Broadband router and contract deal with 3 as I don’t want to tie myself in for 2 years or however long that contract will be. As my plan is as soon as I do get FTTP at my home then I won’t need to rely on the pole of wonder for my internet needs. Openreach and CityFibre have plans for my area so will be holding out for them.

Good news all. My 3 pole of wonder has been installed. The guys just finished the work the other day. It came out of nowhere. They did it overnight.

Now I spoke to one of the guys who installed it and asked when it would be switched on. As I mentioned the other poles that are about a mile or 2 away well 2 of them in total aren’t on yet. That’s according to 3’s coverage checker. (By the way how accurate is the coverage checker)

Anyways the guy said the pole outside my house should be getting commissioned in a few weeks. I imagine commissioned means switched on?

If that is the case then happy days for me. However even though I am happy it’s been installed I do wonder if 3 were waiting for my pole to be installed before they activate the other 2 near by.

Anyways once it’s installed I need to make a decision about my internet needs. The rest of the folks in my house are happy with FTTC. FTTP is planned to be installed by 2025 maybe earlier. I just want faster download and upload speeds and with 3 pole I will get that.

However do I make a decision to switch out my sim from ee to 3 or Smarty and get great 5G speeds at home on my device but suffer from maybe not so good service around the Glasgow area on 3. As ee is really good with 5G outside my area.

Or do I get a cheap smarty sim and put it in a mobile router and keep my ee sim for my mobile. I would be paying twice I guess then. One for the smarty sim and one for my ee sim. Then again I am wondering if I will get good speeds with my mobile connected to mobile router. As the last time I experimented with ee in a mobile router the speeds I got connected via Wi-Fi to the router were poor compared to speeds with the sim in my mobile device. Decisions decisions.

I am not planning on buying 5G home Broadband router and contract deal with 3 as I don’t want to tie myself in for 2 years or however long that contract will be. As my plan is as soon as I do get FTTP at my home then I won’t need to rely on the pole of wonder for my internet needs. Openreach and CityFibre have plans for my area so will be holding out for them.
Happy days for you Nomader, congrats.🥳:sick:
You've a lot of thinking to do, but only you will know the right choice.☺️

Was that helpful?😅

So it is possible the other two poles might be connected to this one via microwaves. Look for a small round antenna not part of the main mast.
Like this one

ee_three_mbnl_phase_7_5g_mast_newcastle.jpg

See the round antenna on the left of the pole in the middle? That's a microwave link. So they can fit the fibre backhaul at one location and share it with other masts via microwave.

re: sims and mobile hotspots, I've got EE and Three and 3 in the places i've tried it is better than EE with the exception of a few places in Central London. But obviously you'd have to try it out for yourself in the areas you're likely to be in.

hmm it's an MBNL mast? That means it could be shared (with EE) ?

hmm it's an MBNL mast? That means it could be shared (with EE) ?
I think most of the 3 poles of wonder plans mention MBNL, but they are 3 only dabigm, that's the way it seems to be here anyway. (5G Unilateral)

It should say on the planning website I would think.

I think most of the 3 poles of wonder plans mention MBNL, but they are 3 only dabigm, that's the way it seems to be here anyway. (5G Unilateral)

It should say on the planning website I would think.
usually because MBNL is shared 3G, not 4G or 5G.

So it is possible the other two poles might be connected to this one via microwaves. Look for a small round antenna not part of the main mast.
Like this one

ee_three_mbnl_phase_7_5g_mast_newcastle.jpg

See the round antenna on the left of the pole in the middle? That's a microwave link. So they can fit the fibre backhaul at one location and share it with other masts via microwave.

re: sims and mobile hotspots, I've got EE and Three and 3 in the places i've tried it is better than EE with the exception of a few places in Central London. But obviously you'd have to try it out for yourself in the areas you're likely to be in.
Hey no I don’t have that round antenna on the pole.

I do wonder if I will get the maximum speeds the pole will offer as the pole is literary a 1 min walk if that from my house.

Hey no I don’t have that round antenna on the pole.
It was there, but I removed it, that will put a spanner in the works for trying to beat me. :mad:;)

Great what you can do with a pile of stones. :devilish:

Cheap BIG ISPs for 100Mbps+
Community Fibre UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
Gift: None
Virgin Media UK ISP Logo
Virgin Media £24.00
132Mbps
Shell Energy UK ISP Logo
Shell Energy £26.99
109Mbps
Plusnet UK ISP Logo
Plusnet £27.99
145Mbps
Zen Internet UK ISP Logo
Zen Internet £28.00 - 35.00
100Mbps
Large Availability | View All
Cheapest ISPs for 100Mbps+
Gigaclear UK ISP Logo
Gigaclear £15.00
150Mbps
YouFibre UK ISP Logo
YouFibre £19.99
150Mbps
Community Fibre UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
BeFibre UK ISP Logo
BeFibre £21.00
150Mbps
Gift: £25 Love2Shop Card
Hey! Broadband UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
Large Availability | View All
Sponsored Links
The Top 15 Category Tags
  1. FTTP (5468)
  2. BT (3505)
  3. Politics (2523)
  4. Openreach (2290)
  5. Business (2251)
  6. Building Digital UK (2233)
  7. FTTC (2041)
  8. Mobile Broadband (1961)
  9. Statistics (1778)
  10. 4G (1654)
  11. Virgin Media (1608)
  12. Ofcom Regulation (1451)
  13. Fibre Optic (1392)
  14. Wireless Internet (1386)
  15. FTTH (1381)
Sponsored

Copyright © 1999 to Present - ISPreview.co.uk - All Rights Reserved - Terms  ,  Privacy and Cookie Policy  ,  Links  ,  Website Rules