Sponsored Links

Postcode not covered by GVBS, also not on OR rollout plan - can I find out why?

Fysshe

The area we've just moved to is served by mediocre-but-fine FTTC (30ish/6ish) and is a rural part of south Notts/north Leics. I had a look to see if the village is covered by GVBS (annoyingly we moved out of a village that was just having their gigabit fitted via that scheme!), and it says it isn't, because the area is likely covered by commercial rollout / Openreach is active in the area, but then when I go to the Openreach checker, it says the postcode isn't covered by any planned rollouts.

Looking at the map, there's a dead zone that basically covers North & East of Loughborough (we live NE) where there's no planned rollout. I understand that the list is updated every quarter, but it'd be good to know whether it's just that Openreach have no intention of doing the commercial work (and thus it's going to be covered by another installer), or whether it's something else?

An interesting point of note is that my village is technically in Nottinghamshire, but the main exchange is in another village which is in Leicestershire - could that be why the GVBS isn't applicable?

I've looked at the Better Internet Dashboard but it didn't seem like there was anything planned. It says Hyperoptic, OR and T-Mobile are local, but doesn't seem like any of them have any plans for the near-mid future.

Keep an ear to the ground for AltNets working in nearby villages etc. Nothing motivates Openreach like a bit of healthy competition. šŸ˜Ž

Sponsored Links
The OP said he'd looked at the Better Internet Dashboard at the bottom of his post :)

The GBVS scheme has gone through quite a few changes over the past year, one of which has been that they've restricted it to Ofcom's Area 3 (non-competitive rural).

So sometimes it's not so much that the location you check will definitely be getting a gigabit upgrade, but that it falls more into the semi-competitive areas that "might" get such a boost and which probably already have access to 30Mbps+ speeds (lower priority under Project Gigabit).

The voucher scheme itself is currently sat in a very awkward position because it can easily conflict with the major gap-funded procurements under the government's project. This is all in a state of flux right now until the first contracts have been awarded. In other words, I wouldn't bank on anything that the GBVS checker says, as it doesn't really know the future all that well.. yet.

Cheap BIG ISPs for 100Mbps+
Community Fibre UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
Gift: None
Virgin Media UK ISP Logo
Virgin Media £24.00
132Mbps
Shell Energy UK ISP Logo
Shell Energy £26.99
109Mbps
Plusnet UK ISP Logo
Plusnet £27.99
145Mbps
Zen Internet UK ISP Logo
Zen Internet £28.00 - 35.00
100Mbps
Large Availability | View All
Cheapest ISPs for 100Mbps+
Gigaclear UK ISP Logo
Gigaclear £15.00
150Mbps
YouFibre UK ISP Logo
YouFibre £19.99
150Mbps
Community Fibre UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
BeFibre UK ISP Logo
BeFibre £21.00
150Mbps
Gift: Ā£25 Love2Shop Card
Hey! Broadband UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
Large Availability | View All
Sponsored Links
The Top 15 Category Tags
  1. FTTP (5472)
  2. BT (3505)
  3. Politics (2524)
  4. Openreach (2291)
  5. Business (2251)
  6. Building Digital UK (2234)
  7. FTTC (2041)
  8. Mobile Broadband (1961)
  9. Statistics (1778)
  10. 4G (1654)
  11. Virgin Media (1608)
  12. Ofcom Regulation (1451)
  13. Fibre Optic (1392)
  14. Wireless Internet (1386)
  15. FTTH (1381)
Sponsored

Copyright © 1999 to Present - ISPreview.co.uk - All Rights Reserved - Terms  ,  Privacy and Cookie Policy  ,  Links  ,  Website Rules