Sponsored

Problems ahoy

mc6415

Pro Member
Been with ADSL24 for a few months now and have nothing but praise for them, but recently have been experiencing a few problems, these are:

- intermittent connection
- each time it reconnects it's at a new slower ip profile and syncs at a completely different speed ( 10 syncs in 4 days, reaching as low as 2mbps and as high as 5mbps, with it being stable for several months at 8mbps until now)

Now too me these suggest a BT fault, however BT have said they can't find a fault but we can now make an appointment with an engineer, however if said engineer doesn't find a fault they'll charge us £125.

My dad works at BT in the mornings and after speaking to a few of the blokes there they have told him all they'll do is take off the faceplate for the phone line, plug it into a test plug and run a few tests, then probably say "it seems ok ... £125 please".

Now there is no doubt in my mind that there is a fault somewhere be it ADSL24 or BT's end but this is beggining to get annoying when my download speeds have dropped from 700-800kbp/s to struggling to reach 300kb/s.

So what would anyone here suggest the next course of action should be?

EDIT: just ran a speedtest and got: a far cry from what's in my sig from the 10 day training period.

Kits

Super Moderator
Staff member
ISPreview Team
Hi one best way to rule out issues at your end is to complete two BT speed tests on as you are not connecting to the internet the other remove everything plugged into the BT line extensions, sky box, any new electrical equipment introduced since you joined ADSL24 and complete a second speed test using the BT test socket which is located behind the master faceplate. The lower half unscrews to reveal the test socket then complete the speed test again. I would complete these both before street lights go on.

Post the results here then I can give more information from them.
http://speedtest.btcentralplus.com/

You should get results like :

Test1 comprises of Best Effort Test: -provides background information.
Your DSL connection rate: 6560 kbps(DOWN-STREAM), 832 kbps(UP-STREAM)
IP profile for your line is - 5500 kbps
Actual IP throughput achieved during the test was - 4919 kbps

mc6415

Pro Member
Hi one best way to rule out issues at your end is to complete two BT speed tests on as you are not connecting to the internet the other remove everything plugged into the BT line extensions, sky box, any new electrical equipment introduced since you joined ADSL24 and complete a second speed test using the BT test socket which is located behind the master faceplate. The lower half unscrews to reveal the test socket then complete the speed test again. I would complete these both before street lights go on.

Post the results here then I can give more information from them.
http://speedtest.btcentralplus.com/

You should get results like :

Test1 comprises of Best Effort Test: -provides background information.
Your DSL connection rate: 6560 kbps(DOWN-STREAM), 832 kbps(UP-STREAM)
IP profile for your line is - 5500 kbps
Actual IP throughput achieved during the test was - 4919 kbps
There are only two problems with the above:

a) I have never ever been able to complete a BT speedtest, even with my 2 previous ISP's it's never gone through.

b) Can't get to the Master Faceplate as there is a fish tank bang slap in front of it.

This is frustrating as one minute I can have a decent connection and the next can be down to 2000kbps with an ip profile of 1500kbps

Kits

Super Moderator
Staff member
ISPreview Team
There are only two problems with the above:

a) I have never ever been able to complete a BT speedtest, even with my 2 previous ISP's it's never gone through.

b) Can't get to the Master Faceplate as there is a fish tank bang slap in front of it.

This is frustrating as one minute I can have a decent connection and the next can be down to 2000kbps with an ip profile of 1500kbps
Well if the BT engineer comes out he will want access to the master socket. I am on an entanet supplied ISP and i have no issues at all completing speed tests what browser do you use?

mc6415

Pro Member
Well if the BT engineer comes out he will want access to the master socket. I am on an entanet supplied ISP and i have no issues at all completing speed tests what browser do you use?
I have tried running the speedtest on, firefox,opera,IE and even google chrome but to no avail.

Mark.J

Administrator
Staff member
ISPreview Team
Be aware that if you have a fish tank in front of the BT faceplate/box then your tank probably also has a small electric motor in that puts air through the water. This has been known to sometimes cause interference with ADSL lines. Generally it’s a good idea to keep electrical kit, other than the router and phone of course, away from your line box.

Fitting a BT iPlate would help, albeit only possible if your line/extension box is a NTE5 type. Doing a quick search, the NTE5 should look like this:

http://www.run-it-direct.co.uk/BTsocketNTE5.html

iPlate's can be got for about £10 here:

http://www.tamarshop.co.uk/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=109_108&products_id=691

Promotion
Cheapest Superfast ISPs
  • Hyperoptic £21.00 (*25.00)
    Avg. Speed 50Mbps, Unlimited
    Gift: £50 Shopping Voucher
  • TalkTalk £21.95 (*36.00)
    Avg. Speed 38Mbps, Unlimited
    Gift: None
  • Post Office £22.90 (*37.00)
    Avg. Speed 38Mbps, Unlimited
  • Direct Save Telecom £22.95 (*29.95)
    Avg. Speed 35Mbps, Unlimited
  • Plusnet £22.99 (*34.98)
    Avg. Speed 36Mbps, Unlimited
    Gift: £75 Cashback
Prices inc. Line Rental | View All
Helpful ISP Guides and Tips
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
Promotion
The Top 20 Category Tags
  1. BT (2529)
  2. FTTP (2250)
  3. FTTC (1673)
  4. Building Digital UK (1616)
  5. Politics (1443)
  6. Openreach (1429)
  7. Business (1257)
  8. Statistics (1108)
  9. FTTH (1103)
  10. Mobile Broadband (1055)
  11. Fibre Optic (978)
  12. Ofcom Regulation (922)
  13. 4G (918)
  14. Wireless Internet (917)
  15. Virgin Media (868)
  16. EE (601)
  17. Sky Broadband (598)
  18. TalkTalk (584)
  19. Vodafone (531)
  20. 3G (417)
Sponsored

Copyright © 1999 to Present - ISPreview.co.uk - All Rights Reserved - Terms  ,  Privacy and Cookie Policy  ,  Links  ,  Website Rules