Sponsored

problems setting up

o00scorpion00o

Casual Member
hi there . I signed up for the trial and i can't seem to connect using opensky it just says can't connect check your internet connection. The sat modem seems to be okay. Also the link on the website to tell you the proxy settings dosen't work so could someone please tell me the settings? Everything related to the firewall seems to be okay too. Thanks

o00scorpion00o

Casual Member
up and working now!

I got it working would you believe it was the username i was entering wrong!!! Anyway after some downloading i must say so far I'm not really impressed speeds seem to be all over the place say 20kb/s on minute then 45 kb/s another rarely jumping to 80-90 even the od 150/kbps it seems to be average about 45kb/s . Browsing seems to be very slow. I'm just wondering what speeds i can expect after my 300meg limit is up???

ring em up..that normally does wonders.

your setup seems wrong imo, thats just from what ive read, as others seems to also get poor speeds at first as they were setup on the wrong sat.

give them a ring and go through it with them

Sean

Casual Member
My 1-month trial period is about up. The performance at the start was usually around 80KB/sec to 100KB/sec with a maximum peak of 175KB/sec at 2am. A day after my 300MB quota was used, something like a 512k bandwidth cap was applied as nearly everytime I done any downloading, Server4PC showed a constant 494.1k and I never seen a constant/steady value show before the 300MB. I did see this go up to 612k for a few days, but never seen it exceed this value even testing late at night. This rate seemed to continue until I clocked up around 1GB in total.

It seems like the more I download, the slower the connection gets so I am not sure if this is some sort of fair usage policy. I downloaded 2GB to date and have went back to my old service provider (NetSystem) a week ago as browsing performance seemed to have went to a crawl :shrug:

Just to compare, I done a test download yesterday at 7:30pm and got 17.5KB/sec average on a 2MB file using Micronet and 16.5KB/sec on the same file connected to NetSystem (I've two dishes set-up - one on E-Bird 33E and the other on Astra 19.2E, so can flick between them by swapping cables and choosing the transponder in Server4PC).

At the moment, the best I get is around 60KB/sec late at night and the worst I seen was 1.4KB/sec at 3:30pm January 7th, something my modem could easily overtake. At that same period, I got 31KB/sec on NetSystem. :rolleyes:

o00scorpion00o

Casual Member
hi there. I am on 33deg east for sure as I use my sky digi meter to line up the dish. I do hope that speeds do not drop too much after the 300 meg limit. The only reason I left Netsystem was because I wanted faster than 30k .The service always worked perfect and gave full bandwith of 30k almost all the time. They offered a 30k service and that's what you got! I would be very happy with a 60k service that had maybe a 10 gig cap and just leave it at that, and not say that you will get " up to 2meg before 300mb " and best available there after . Which really means and those of us who remember sat drive??? after the 300 meg limit expect a cap! I would be interested to hear your reply's because it is really this that will decide Micronet's future! So many other sat internet services have failed in the past , the point is if you can't offer it DON'T advertise it !!!

o00scorpion00o

Casual Member
I'm downloading now using download accelerator and I'm between 90k and 1.8m and it's fairly steady! Browsing seems to be faster now too. I wonder what happened? o well I'm not moaning now so let it rip baby! :)

Sean

Casual Member
Speed seems to have improved with me also today. While yesterday I was getting about 17.5KB/sec on average on Micronet around 8pm, today I'm getting around 45KB/sec to 50KB/sec. NetSystem shows similar speed to yesterday, only improving from 16.5KB/sec this time yesterday to about 18KB/sec today. :rolleyes: Interestingly, while Micronet's downloading performance is quicker, browsing does not seem to be as quick as NetSystem for some reason, especially with webpages that contain a lot of small images.

One drawback I find with Micronet is if I connect using its VPN connection. Most of the time it will connect fine, although now & again I have to disconnect and redial the VPN before I can access the Internet. Even while connected, it usually drops between 30 minutes to an hour later. (I don't recall NetSystem ever dropping the VPN on me, even while connected for several hours). This means that it is not very suitable for unattended downloading using applications not compatible with its HTTP proxy. For example I had a 60MB download coming in and at 59MB downloaded, the VPN connection decided to drop thus killing my download and it was unable to resume. :shrug:

The HTTP proxy seems to generally work fine although I did encounter the odd time where I could not access the OpenSky logon page. I don't quite understand why OpenSky recommends logging out before disconnecting, but then again as it only works with the user's IP, the user has to relogon to OpenSky anyway on the next dialup as most ISP's don't give the user the same IP address for each dialup.

Its Socks v.5 proxy (port 1080) does not work with any application I tried. This means that if the application does not support a standard HTTP proxy, it will only work over Micronet via the unreliable VPN connection. For example, I tried out Limewire over Micronet and while it works well for small files such as MP3's, I would not recommend trying to download anything over 50MB with it unattended.

Last edited:

o00scorpion00o

Casual Member
okay at 350 mb now , not capped yet. will see how it goes. still getting 1.4 - 1.8 m/s nice indeed! Didn't try streaming yet does that work okay did anyone check?

o00scorpion00o

Casual Member
o well too good to be true 375 mb used now and like someone flicked a switch speed gone to 61 k max.Still though that's fast enough for me and if it stays like that i will be very happy indeed ! . I dosen't seem to move past 60k i suppose the bandwith is all used up now of course. so the 1.5m i was getting suddenly is not available, because u know i was told speed would be up to 2mb/s when available but i guess sean logged on now and is hoggin the system nod nod wink wink ;-)

Sean

Casual Member
Just note that OpenSky don't seem to apply the cap until one to two days after the quota has reached. For example when I clocked over 300MB, I still continued to get up to 100KB/sec that day and the next day. From the 2nd day on I never saw any download exceed 61KB/sec (except the odd time I saw 75KB/sec), even with combinations of downloads, sources and time of day/nigh). Broadsat on 7E which also runs over OpenSky use to do the same thing. I.e. once I hit my quota, I started downloading everything that came at the top of my head as I knew that the next day (or day after) I was going to have to resort back to my modem-only connection until the next monthly period started. Even still, OpenSky seem to wait until the 2nd or 3rd day into the next monthly period before they even lift the cap again. :hrmph:

Radio streams seem to work without a flaw over Micronet. I have been playing Club 977 on iTunes for the last 15 minutes without a single glitch. :cool: Interestingly, Internet browsing seems to run a fair bit quicker while a stream is playing (close to that of Netsystem), probably because it is now dedicating a continuous stream of bandwidth to me. :nod:

Edit: Club 977 played glitch free for 30 minutes before it started braking up several times in a row (I closed off iTunes at this stage). A 2MB test download came in an average of 38.2KB/sec, so it looks like the bandwidth is getting limited again here.

PS - Err, can't believe this forum has a 3 smiley limit per post.

Last edited:

Sean

Casual Member
After 10pm, my connection seems to be getting fairly sluggish for browsing again. I tried running iTunes on streaming radio now (both Club 977 and the French 80's), but it keeps having to rebuffer every few seconds to a minute. Interestingly download speeds are fairly good still at 58.9KB/sec (average on a 2MB test download).

So, I'm returning to Netsystem for the remainder of this evening - As a news editor for CDFreaks.com, I mainly need fast browsing as I have to do quite a lot of research to work on an article before publishing and fast downloads is not the same as fast page loading. :rolleyes:

Sean

Casual Member
While my 1-month trial period has finally completed, it seems like I have been put into another month period. As Opensky appears to operate in France, I decided to remain connected during the 11pm time period (midnight in France) out of curiosity to see what would happen if I had a large file downloading over that period. However, the download was running at about 55KB/sec and once 11pm hit, the speed started rapidly increasing. I started another download as a test and got 133KB/sec, so out of curiosity I logged back on to Micronet again and it showed a new monthly period with the counter back at 0 bytes.

I plan on Calling Micronet Monday morning just in case some contract does automatically follow the trial period. :confused:

So far, I had a rather unusual experience with Micronet’s performance over the trial period. At the start, I mainly had very good download performance (90+KB/sec) and browsing performance ranging from quite poor to like a 1Mbps ADSL link. After my 300MB priority quota was up, my bandwidth appeared to be capped at 512k or 640k (512k mainly at the start and 640k towards the end of the trial period).

During the time I was in best effort (>300MB clocked up), I usually got around 60KB/sec. Top download speed was 75KB/sec and slowest (from a reliable source) was 1.4KB/sec. For example on Saturday 16th, it took quite a while just to bring up Google and when I tried updating my virus definitions, the meter snailed along at 1.6KB/sec. :eek: After a few percent I cancelled, reconnected to the net using my Netsystem account and the download sped off at 20KB/sec. Sunday (my last trial day) I got mainly around 60KB/sec and browsing was actually quite fast compared with earlier in the week.

Unfortunately due to intermittent browsing performance, I don’t plan on taking up a further contract with Micronet. I mainly need fast browsing to research and edit news in the evening over fast downloads and while Netsystem does not have very fast downloading (typically 30KB/sec with no bandwidth splitting), it has fairly fast and consistent browsing performance and so far (excluding downtime), I never seen Netsystem perform slower than my modem in over 6 months with them. Also, with high ISDN rental and flat-rate dial-up ISP charges, it is too expensive for me to remain with both Micronet and Netsystem. ;)

Promotion
Cheapest Superfast ISPs
  • Hyperoptic £20.00 (*22.00)
    Avg. Speed 50Mbps, Unlimited
    Gift: None
  • Vodafone £22.00
    Avg. Speed 35Mbps, Unlimited
  • TalkTalk £22.45 (*36.00)
    Avg. Speed 38Mbps, Unlimited
  • Post Office £22.90 (*37.00)
    Avg. Speed 38Mbps, Unlimited
  • Direct Save Telecom £22.95 (*29.95)
    Avg. Speed 35Mbps, Unlimited
Prices inc. Line Rental | View All
Helpful ISP Guides and Tips
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
Promotion
The Top 20 Category Tags
  1. BT (2511)
  2. FTTP (2203)
  3. FTTC (1658)
  4. Building Digital UK (1607)
  5. Politics (1428)
  6. Openreach (1418)
  7. Business (1239)
  8. Statistics (1099)
  9. FTTH (1076)
  10. Mobile Broadband (1039)
  11. Fibre Optic (969)
  12. Ofcom Regulation (916)
  13. Wireless Internet (909)
  14. 4G (900)
  15. Virgin Media (857)
  16. Sky Broadband (595)
  17. EE (592)
  18. TalkTalk (580)
  19. Vodafone (518)
  20. Security (413)
Sponsored

Copyright © 1999 to Present - ISPreview.co.uk - All Rights Reserved - Terms  ,  Privacy and Cookie Policy  ,  Links  ,  Website Rules