Sponsored Links

Problems with BT and access to broadband

Rik

This is my uncles story. As many may be able to appreciate, there are loads of people out there without any technical knowledge about computers, let alone connecting the internet....that's where I came in.....

A month or so ago my uncle decided to cancel BT, and go with Talk Talk, as the deal was cheaper.
About 2 weeks ago he then received a letter from BT saying basically "We understand you want to leave us, give us a call"

So he called BT, and they offered him the deal of 12 months at half price. So he took it.

He assumed that the deal with Talk Talk would be cancelled, and would continue his service with BT as normal.

Come the day that he was due to leave BT, his internet connection seemed to not work anymore.

He has a Voyager 210 ADSL router connected by ethernet cable.

He phoned BT, and spent nearly 2 hours going through checks on his computer etc, but to no avail.

They said everything is fine, and there are no problems with the connection etc.

So he called on my help.....I went round last night and had a look.

Everything looks fine....all the LED's on the router are on as they should be.
The router diagnostiics say it's connected to broadband etc.

But if you ping anything, there are no results.....100% loss on pinging everything.

So we phoned support, and I spoke to India or somewhere siimilar for over half an hour.

Went through loads of tests, reset IE etc.

He then asked me to run: netstat -na

Am not sure what that is supposed to show us, but the man on the phone said that if there are more than 15 entries, then that means the computer has spyware on.....and that he can't give me anymore help.

Now I personally don't think that is the problem, as prior to phoning the helpdesk, I connected my Netbook to the router, and couldn't get connected with that either.

So I said to my uncle that I would take his PC back to my place, and do a few checks.

Since having his PC here, I have successfully connected to the internet with it using a wireless connection, and I have used both SpyBot and Adaware and discovered there is no Spyware found.

Does anyone have any ideas where I can go from here?
From what I can see the PC is fine, and to me there seems to be a problem with the broadband connection

I've just done a broadband check from my house on my uncles phone number.

The BT Broadband site doesn't recognise his phone number as a BT line.....could this be part of the problem?

ie, he was going to change his phone over to Talk Talk too.....so could his line have been coverted?

Sounds like BT didn't do what was needed in time to stop the transfer to Talk Talk.

As the number is not recognised, this almost certainly is now a Talk Talk line.

Matt

Sponsored Links
would that stop him connecting to BT Internet?

More than likely, yes. His ISP will/should now be Talk Talk and that is the only ISP that he can now be with unless the line is returned to BT.

Matt

oh dear....what a mess

Hi,

It does sound like the change to talk talk has happened, really your uncle should of contacted TT himself as BT are not their customer and have no authority over canceling his migration (Ofcom rules), I would recommend that you/tour uncle contact TT and BT and explain what has happened and asap as he may be landed paying 2 contracts unless its sorted quickly.

LeeH

Sponsored Links
Cheap BIG ISPs for 100Mbps+
Community Fibre UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
Gift: None
Virgin Media UK ISP Logo
Virgin Media £24.00
132Mbps
Shell Energy UK ISP Logo
Shell Energy £26.99
109Mbps
Plusnet UK ISP Logo
Plusnet £27.99
145Mbps
Zen Internet UK ISP Logo
Zen Internet £28.00 - 35.00
100Mbps
Large Availability | View All
Cheapest ISPs for 100Mbps+
Gigaclear UK ISP Logo
Gigaclear £15.00
150Mbps
YouFibre UK ISP Logo
YouFibre £19.99
150Mbps
Community Fibre UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
BeFibre UK ISP Logo
BeFibre £21.00
150Mbps
Gift: £25 Love2Shop Card
Hey! Broadband UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
Large Availability | View All
Sponsored Links
The Top 15 Category Tags
  1. FTTP (5468)
  2. BT (3505)
  3. Politics (2523)
  4. Openreach (2290)
  5. Business (2251)
  6. Building Digital UK (2233)
  7. FTTC (2041)
  8. Mobile Broadband (1961)
  9. Statistics (1778)
  10. 4G (1654)
  11. Virgin Media (1608)
  12. Ofcom Regulation (1451)
  13. Fibre Optic (1392)
  14. Wireless Internet (1386)
  15. FTTH (1381)
Sponsored

Copyright © 1999 to Present - ISPreview.co.uk - All Rights Reserved - Terms  ,  Privacy and Cookie Policy  ,  Links  ,  Website Rules