Sponsored Links

Problems with Channel 4 on Sky

rruwalton

ISP Rep
Hello,

I'm experiencing problems with Channel 4 and other '4' channels such as Film4 when viewing them through my Sky box.

Does anyone else experience problems or heard of any issues please?

Might help if you explain what the problem is :).

Thanks Mark.

We have a Sky+ box. We have problems with picture break-up on Channel 4 and Film 4 and when we set the Sky+ to record it fails.

Sponsored Links
We lost a few channels shortly after we had sky installed, turned out to be a defective LNB. Haven't had any problems recently that weren't cured by unplugging the box.

Googling finds someone reporting similar issues to you :-

http://www.skyuser.co.uk/forum/sky-sky-tv/26078-no-satellite-signal-c4-film4-film4-1-more4-1-a.html

It seems there's also an issue with a recent firmware update for some sky+ boxes http://www.theregister.co.uk/2008/11/25/sky_plus_software/
Sky is considering reversing an update to the software on its PVR boxes after it froze customers out of the programme guide and left them unable to record TV.

Last edited:
You can blame Sky for this. They sent out a software update over the air for Sky+ boxes, and it has messed up a large number of boxes, mainly Pace boxes that have had a replacement hard drive fitted, although there are some that have been affected that haven't been modified.

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2008/11/25/sky_plus_software/

EDIT: Hey Mel, you edited your post while I was looking for the story on the Sky software mess up :laugh:

I rebooted the box when I got in tonight and now there's no channel 4 or film 4. However, we get channel 4+1 ??

Tried to call Sky but their systems are down.

Try this, which apparently works:

* Put Sky+ box into standby
* Take out viewing card
* Power off at mains
* Power on (after 10-20 seconds)
* Press on button after 30 seconds or so.
* Planner then available
* Reinsert viewing card
* Wait for update to channels
* Planner still okay

Don't put the box into standby after this, otherwise you'll have to do it all again.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the post Mender, however, I have tried this but to no avail.

Called Sky again and I have been asked to call them in 2hrs as their system is suffering a technical hitch.

Usual problems with Sky then!

Anyone got a lypsync problem when using the optical output now? Now got worse since the last update.

the lipsync issue is coz they are trying to fix the delay via optical on Sky HD. Seems like I have to change my settings daily for the delay on mine. Depends what you are connecting the optical to and what settings you have to play with. Just wish Sky would get their act together.

RRU, Unplug both F connectors (the connectors the sat cable plugs into). Then plug them back in. Sky did a poo job of installing my HD box. It's amazing how easily these little connectors come undone.

Channel 4 uses 10714H and 10729V both on the Astra 2D satellite. This satellite is also used for the vast majority of the Freesat channels as well as BBC. As the majority of the channels on this satellite are unencrypted the satellite has a very tight UK footprint. If your dish is even slightly off you'll start to notice picture breakup etc.

If you don't have any luck with Sky, you could try getting a local installer to check your alignment, it will cost about £30. Like another post has said the Sky LNB's have a habit of breaking, especially in cold weather, a replacement dish and LNB is less than £20.

Hope this helps
Ben

Sponsored Links
The only problem I've had on my SkyHD box recently has been during rain storms, when as usual the rain beats against the dish (tiny wobble) and also obscures the signal with cloud and water cover. Otherwise I've been lucky enough not to experience the problems.

Thanks guys,

Ben there's no channels this morning and I have arranged for an engineer to visit on Friday - teh box is under warranty so it'll be foc.

I will try the connections though :)

Thanks guys,

Ben there's no channels this morning and I have arranged for an engineer to visit on Friday - the box is under warranty so it'll be foc.

I will try the connections though :)

RRU, make sure you kick up a fuss when they come and get your box replaced and preferably the LNB replaced to, get them to also check your alignment.

Ben

Thanks Ben :)

Well, you wont believe it, the thing is suddenly working again! I've cancelled the call and monitoring Channel 4 / Film 4.

I'm now wondering why its working.

Sponsored Links
Sounds like either the tuner in the box is faulty or the dish needs alignment

Ben, it's gone again.

Engineer coming out Saturday afternoon.

I cant fault the customer service, however, seems the 01509 numbers have been shut down (obtained via saynoto0870). God knows how much the 15mins call cost!

Update:

Engineer came and it seems they've changed the frequency of channel 4 and Film 4 and the signal is not as strong.

The chap changes the lmb, moved the dish down a foot, changed the box but all to no avail. He has escalated the problem but at the moment no channel 4 / film 4 still.

Cheap BIG ISPs for 100Mbps+
Community Fibre UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
Gift: None
Virgin Media UK ISP Logo
Virgin Media £24.00
132Mbps
Shell Energy UK ISP Logo
Shell Energy £26.99
109Mbps
Plusnet UK ISP Logo
Plusnet £27.99
145Mbps
Zen Internet UK ISP Logo
Zen Internet £28.00 - 35.00
100Mbps
Large Availability | View All
Cheapest ISPs for 100Mbps+
Gigaclear UK ISP Logo
Gigaclear £15.00
150Mbps
YouFibre UK ISP Logo
YouFibre £19.99
150Mbps
Community Fibre UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
BeFibre UK ISP Logo
BeFibre £21.00
150Mbps
Gift: £25 Love2Shop Card
Hey! Broadband UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
Large Availability | View All
Sponsored Links
The Top 15 Category Tags
  1. FTTP (5472)
  2. BT (3505)
  3. Politics (2524)
  4. Openreach (2291)
  5. Business (2251)
  6. Building Digital UK (2234)
  7. FTTC (2041)
  8. Mobile Broadband (1961)
  9. Statistics (1778)
  10. 4G (1654)
  11. Virgin Media (1608)
  12. Ofcom Regulation (1451)
  13. Fibre Optic (1392)
  14. Wireless Internet (1386)
  15. FTTH (1381)
Sponsored

Copyright © 1999 to Present - ISPreview.co.uk - All Rights Reserved - Terms  ,  Privacy and Cookie Policy  ,  Links  ,  Website Rules