Sponsored

Problems with HUAWEI 535-333 4G+ modem router connected to EE network

hedgert

Casual Member
I’ve been struggling for three days with some devices working fine with this router and others having no internet. I initially thought it was the devices connecting (because I was trying to connect my Linksys Velop mesh network in my house to the new router - I’ve been accessing Linksys support to try and resolve why my Velop node connected to the HUAWEI modem has no internet when my laptop and phone directly connected to the modem router have perfectly good internet)), but I have just tried to connect my work laptop directly to the modem router - through both wifi and ethernet - but it gets a dhcp address but has no internet.

So could there be some compatibility or setup issue with the HUAWEI router?

hedgert

Casual Member
That sounds like the solution I've been looking for - thank you. Any idea how? I can create a new profile on the b535-333 and put new APN settings in and make it the default but I don't see any option to configure the profile to be IPv4 only

Sorry found it - there were more options when I scrolled down but no scroll bar to see that. Trying this now

hedgert

Casual Member
OK - I found how to create a profile on the Huawei router for IPv4 only - but the moment I make it the default profile, the modem no longer connects to EE - red light on modem and status page shows no internet connection.
I just rang EE to make sure the APN settings weren't any different to what I was using.
To test further I left the original working profile (ipv4 & ipv6) as the default and edited it (so I was definitely using exactly the same APN settings that work) and the moment I saved a tweak to that original profile with the change to IPv4 only, the modem stopped connecting to EE.
So seems like the modem will only connect with IPv4 & IPv6. EE said there was no other APN to use.

Any suggestions?

oriodec

Sorry - just a couple of questions:

How are you connecting your linksys mesh to the HB535?
What DCHP setting is your Linksys using? (is it set to auto/using your HB535 as the gateway - or the address/settings of your previous router?)
Is your Linksys mesh set to use IPV4&IPV6 or just ipv4? (you might need to tweak this also) - but best to sort out the Mesh link with the router first (before addressing the ipv4 issues?)

Initial thoughts:

Sounds like a potential DHCP server 'clash' - worth looking at the velop settings and their relationship to the HB535? I suspect this is what is stopping the internet connection when changing APN

I'd disconnect the mesh when sorting out the ipv4 only setting on the HB535. (I used to have the B535 on EE and it worked best with ipv4 only - B625 and B818 also worked best on IPV4 with EE)

hedgert

Casual Member
I'm using the HB535 pretty much out of the box - so with DHCP auto; and then plugging my linksys mesh into one of its LAN ports. The linksys mesh then creates wifi in my house on a separate subnet and with its own DHCP server for clients connecting to mesh.

I haven't seen any settings in linksys mesh about ipv6 - I think it's ipv4 only. This issue started happening when I upgrade from a Huawei B535-222 4G router to a B535-333 4G+ router. I thought I could just swap devices. The 4G 222 works just fine with mesh. But the 333 introduces IPv6.

It's not the linksys mesh that is losing internet connectivity when I change APN to IPv4 only. The linksys mesh has no internet connectivity at all from the 535-333. It is Huawei modem/router that has internet with ipv4/ipv6 but loses it immediately that I change settings to ipv4 only.

oriodec

Sounds very reasonable (just checking its not port 3 or 4 - the wan/lan ports - as this might cause issues - the B535-222 has only port 4 as a wan/lan while the B535-333 has both ports 3 & 4 as wan/lan.

I think some of the Linksys Velops do have IPV6 enabled (by default) - usually:

Velop web interface and navigate to Router Configuration -> Internet Settings -> IPv6 -> Edit it to Automatic and uncheck “Enabled”

(sorry but I don't know which velop series you are using - but the problem seems fairly common and the recommended action is to disable ipv6 until sorted).

I'd still suggest changing the EE APN to IPV4 - with the mesh disconnected/isolated to see if the problem is with the B535/EE connection.

Always annoying when a simple switch of router disrupts your setup. Hope you get to the bottom of it.

(Looks like the B535-333 did not support IPV4 only when first released but this was fixed by a firmware update?)

hedgert

Casual Member
Thank you I will look for that ipv6 setting in the Linksys mesh - I haven’t noticed it to date. My mesh are whw01 devices.
The ipv4 only setting in the HUAWEI router doesn’t work - even with mesh not connected - the moment I turn on ipv4 only, the internet status light on the HUAWEI goes red and the web interface reports no internet connection - and a laptop connected to the HUAWEI has no internet.
If I can turn IPv6 off on the Linksys mesh maybe that will allow me to use the HUAWEI in ipv4&6 mode given that turning it off kills my internet connection.
Any ideas on how to stop HUAWEI losing internet (even with nothing else connected) when I switch to ipv4 only?

Last edited:

oriodec

Sorry - I only had the B535-222 and avoided the 333 becuase of the reported problems - but I understood it had been 'fixed' by a firmware update. I expect that might depend on the isp who originally issued your 333? Others on the forum have had the 333 and reported on the firmware update. (see further up on the other forum you posed the question on.)

I believe setting the mesh to ipv4 only might sort your issues - if it is defaulting to ipv6 and then the 535 uses ipv6 as a result, then no internet - few of the mobile networks in the UK are using ipv6 widely.

hedgert

Casual Member
Alas the Linksys Velop ipv4 setting didn’t fix the problem. So I’m at a brick wall. Given the mentions of issues with the b535-333 (mine is not ISP supplied - just bought from Amazon) I’ve ordered another router.

Promotion
Cheapest Superfast ISPs
  • Hyperoptic £17.99
    Speed 33Mbps, Unlimited
    Gift: None
  • Shell Energy £19.99
    Speed 35Mbps, Unlimited
  • NOW £20.00
    Speed 36Mbps, Unlimited
  • Virgin Media £20.00
    Speed 54Mbps, Unlimited
  • Vodafone £22.00
    Speed 38Mbps, Unlimited
Large Availability | View All
Cheapest Ultrafast ISPs
  • Gigaclear £17.00
    Speed: 200Mbps, Unlimited
  • Community Fibre £20.00
    Speed: 150Mbps, Unlimited
  • Hyperoptic £22.00
    Speed: 158Mbps, Unlimited
  • Virgin Media £24.00
    Speed: 108Mbps, Unlimited
  • Vodafone £25.00
    Speed: 100Mbps, Unlimited
Large Availability | View All
Helpful ISP Guides and Tips
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
Promotion
The Top 20 Category Tags
  1. FTTP (4110)
  2. BT (3149)
  3. Politics (2115)
  4. Building Digital UK (2024)
  5. Openreach (1968)
  6. FTTC (1922)
  7. Business (1831)
  8. Mobile Broadband (1605)
  9. Statistics (1509)
  10. 4G (1378)
  11. FTTH (1371)
  12. Virgin Media (1277)
  13. Ofcom Regulation (1241)
  14. Wireless Internet (1233)
  15. Fibre Optic (1232)
  16. Vodafone (926)
  17. EE (905)
  18. 5G (898)
  19. TalkTalk (821)
  20. Sky Broadband (787)
Sponsored

Copyright © 1999 to Present - ISPreview.co.uk - All Rights Reserved - Terms  ,  Privacy and Cookie Policy  ,  Links  ,  Website Rules