Sponsored

Provisioning of MAC's from wholesaler

jonnylew

As some of you may have read in the 'Biscit Update' thread, I emailed the wholesale provider for my connection about the provisioning of MAC codes. Well, surprise, surprise, I've actually had a response...

Jon,

At this present moment in time, EurISP is not in any position to issue Mac Codes to V21 users.

We are currently reviewing the situation regarding V21 customers and are talking with a number of partners to ideally service the requirements of V21 users.

Until a decision has been made on this, EurISP will continue to provide Internet Services, at its own cost, to affected V21 customers.

Kind Regards

EurISP Team

So, for us with @maxsurf logons at least, it looks as though we're not going to be totally left in the lurch. I'm not sure if any other domain logons have Eurisp as their wholesale provider, or who any of the other wholesale providers are (if any).

Fingers crossed that all wholesalers adopt the same attitude and stick to this pledge so as we're not all completely crapped on.

ziggycat

Pro Member
We are currently reviewing the situation regarding V21 customers and are talking with a number of partners to ideally service the requirements of V21 users.

Not another walled garden on the way I hope.

"talking with partners" can only mean one thing, with a view to selling you.

Kits

ULTIMATE Member
BT have already said they will not disconnect them but what i have been trying to arrange is support if someones connectioin dies. As it stands you are supposed to contact Biscit which we all know is impossible no staff, no computers, no desks and no phones..

Those who have telephone with Biscit also I am not sure who deals with this and feel these are the ones most at risk. If you phone line is dead I would try to move back to BT ASAP. this will then drop your ADSL flag so freeing up your line for BB again aswell :D

jonnylew

Ziggy,

I really hope they don't use a 'walled garden' again, and tbh I can't see it happening as Biscit are obviously in such a mess that surely no other company would be willing to take on their customer base if it means taking on Biscit's debts aswell. This, it appears is what the administrator is looking for, hence the Breathe deal falling through.

Mel

ULTIMATE Member
Continuing to provide a service is all well and good, but I'm sure quite a few V21 customers just want their MAC code so they can leave.

They also seem to be disregarding the clause in General condition 22 that Kits mentioned here:- http://www.ispreview.co.uk/talk/showthread.php?p=175209#post175209

"talking with a number of partners " does sound to me as if they have taken 'ownership' of the V21 Biscit customers. I wonder if my guess was right about the reason for the Breathe deal failing...

Kits

ULTIMATE Member
Continuing to provide a service is all well and good, but I'm sure quite a few V21 customers just want their MAC code so they can leave.

They also seem to be disregarding the clause in General condition 22 that Kits mentioned here:- http://www.ispreview.co.uk/talk/showthread.php?p=175209#post175209

"talking with a number of partners " does sound to me as if they have taken 'ownership' of the V21 Biscit customters. I wonder if I was right about the reason for the Breathe deal failing...

I doubt Breathe deal ever included the ones supplied by Eurisp as you have to remember they had unpaid bills from Biscit. What i can say is Eurisp will find a seamless way to move tehm to partners when they find one that can handle the number of customers, Eurisp saved Blueleaf internet in 2005 so why cant they save these customers now.

jonnylew

What I'm not sure about is why Eurisp can't just take over the accounts of those V21 customers who were using the Eurisp backbone.

I mean, Eurisp aren't just a wholesale provider, they are also a broadband provider aren't they?

Kits

ULTIMATE Member
Yes they do both but if the contract has it weritten in that if an ISP goes bust owing money to the wholeseller the customer base becomes teh wholesellers. Its been known to happen before almost sure it was a clause used by Telephonica a lot.

Mel

ULTIMATE Member
I doubt Breathe deal ever included the ones supplied by Eurisp as you have to remember they had unpaid bills from Biscit.

Well that's what I first thought when I saw the low number of V21/Biscit customers mentioned, but I seem to recall reading that all the customers were being acquired.

What i can say is Eurisp will find a seamless way to move tehm to partners when they find one that can handle the number of customers, Eurisp saved Blueleaf internet in 2005 so why cant they save these customers now.

I would expect that transfering customers where the wholesale remains the same (ie no migration by BT involved) should be completely seemless. None the less I'm sure plently of ex-v21 customers will be keen to get their MACs and make their own choice of new ISP for a change.

Last edited:

Kits

ULTIMATE Member
Well that's what I first thought when I saw the low number of V21/Biscit customers mentioned, but I seem to recall reading that all the customers were being acquired.

I would expect that transfering customers where the wholesale remains the same (ie no migration by BT involved) should be completely seemless. None the less I'm sure plently of ex-v21 customers will be keen to get their MACs and make their own choice of ISP.

Yes and just not sure how this will fit in with the OFCOM rules i think there is a place where if it was going to cost too much money some couls refuse the macs and this could be one of those cases...
Need to find time to sit and re-read the OFCOM notes again but it does my head in reading them.... and you can sometimes pass it without seeing it. :D

Mel

ULTIMATE Member
Yes and just not sure how this will fit in with the OFCOM rules i think there is a place where if it was going to cost too much money some couls refuse the macs and this could be one of those cases...
Need to find time to sit and re-read the OFCOM notes again but it does my head in reading them.... and you can sometimes pass it without seeing it. :D

indeed you can :eek:

I do recall reading that the intent was that wholesalers should provide MAC's providing the costs of doing so wasn't prohibitive.

Kits

ULTIMATE Member
I would think 13,000 asking for MACs when the wholeselller is owed money and can collect some beck by selling the customer base to another ISP that they supply the only viable way out. There can't be another Biscit out there surely.. :eek:

preednd

Hi there,

I am a new member, and I just wanted express my thoughts on Biscit/V21. I am currently a V21 customer, but as of tomorrow (with luck) I should be starting my with my new ISP. Previous to this I had been a V21 customer for 3 years. I was very happy until about October, started getting a lot of dissconnects. I decided that I would request my MAC code from V21/Biscit. At about this time, the Netservices problem came up, and it took about a month to get any answer from them in regards to getting a MAC code. My messages weren`t retruned, E-mail not answered.
I then log a call with OFCOM and Consumer Direct. They give me recomendations on what to do.
Then in December I get my MAC code, I hand it over to an ISP, and about January the 2nd, I have a letter from the new ISP saying that there is not an Exchange in my area. I didn`t mind, any company silly enough to say that to me when I have had boardband for 3 years, was not worth going with.
Following this, I E-mail my contact at Biscit requesting another MAC code.
2 weeks later I get an E-mail from the contact, and he told me that he could no longer help, contact biscit directly.
I did this, I rang them, and requested, they said they would put my request in, and E-mail. Again two weeks later, I am a bit worried. I contact again, and there is no record, and now, I have to fill in a form to request MAC code.
I do this, send recorded delivery, and wait.
I get no word from them within a couple of days, so I contact them, I was getting very annoyied with them because of the phone system would auto hang up after an hour. I was spending about 3-4 hours aday in the phone to my ISP, and nothing was happeneing.
The 14th of febuary comes along, a day I will remember. I contact Biscit, and request my MAC code. I talk to a guy called Elvin. He tells me that they have to MAc code, but need outstanding balance payied. I went what? He explained that there had not been any payments since December, if I pay, I can have MAC code that after noon. I ask that if I do this, can he send an E-mail to confirm, and then E-mail me the MAC code. He says sure.
I get the confirmation of payment, then I get an E-mail from accounts saying a Cease on my line has been ordered.
I blew up, and OFCOM also was not very happy with them. OFCOM explained that as they have said that I can have my MAC code, they have 5 working days to give it to me. I contact Biscit, and explain this, I was told that they would stop the cease, then get my MAC code.
They stopped the cease, and 5 working days later I have no MAC code. Time and time again over the next two weeks i was promised a MAC code, and nothing came. At the begining of this month, I found out that the person who I last spoke to at Biscit, did not infact request a MAC code, but requested a cease. I blow up again, and again OFCOM was not very happy. I contact Biscit, and explain what OFCOM said, and Biscit says nothing. So, I asked "do they actually provide me with internet, or do they contact it out?". They said contact, I request by who, and they say EurISP. I request contact details, and they say no. I contact OFCOM, they say there is no such company, and recomend contacting BT Wholesale to find out who has tag on the line. This ends up being Your Communications Ltd. I contact them, and they say they will look in to it, and E-mail me. On the 6th of Febuary I get an E-mail saying they can raise a MAC code, but the request need to come from EurISP. But they gave me a contact number. I ring them, I explain the situtation to them, they pull up my records, and it shows no requests from Biscit for MAC codes for me since Novemeber. I was told the Manager was not in, and they would get him to contact me the next day, however, about 3 hours later, EurISP ring me back, and they need my E-mail address to send me my MAC code.
I updated OFCOM, who was impressed with what I had done, but now was not very happy at all with Biscit, because I had done something that they had`nt been able to.

I would like to thank OFCOM, Consumer Direct, Your Communications Ltd and finialy, but not least, EurISP, for all the advice and help they have given in this matter.

So, this is my recomendation, if you are a V21/Biscit customer, talk to BT Wholesale, and request who has got your Line, then try and contact this company directly to see if they can help with MAC codes. Worked for me.

Thank you for your time.

Smoothound

ULTIMATE Member
Fast 4 uses eurisp as their backbone provider, and who is at the helm of Fast 4?

Who used to run v21 before Biscit took them over?

Answer to both is Steve Kaye.

Coincidence or something fishy?

Naimspeople

ISP Rep
I would think 13,000 asking for MACs when the wholeselller is owed money and can collect some beck by selling the customer base to another ISP that they supply the only viable way out. There can't be another Biscit out there surely.. :eek:

Just a thought . Correct us if we are wrong, but didn't B.T. Wholesale start charging the ISP £35 to a put a cease on a line. 13,5000 x £35 !!
Or did we dream that ,can't find in the ispreview news or forum

Naims.co.uk, well Naims.net until propergation of naims.co.uk main completes

timeless

ULTIMATE Member
Staff member
Volunteer Mod
actually... should have added a third word... and we all know that that word is "farce".... sad but true imho

wavydavy

Casual Member
Hi there,
I contact OFCOM, they say there is no such company, and recomend contacting BT Wholesale to find out who has tag on the line. This ends up being Your Communications Ltd. I contact them, and they say they will look in to it, and E-mail me. On the 6th of Febuary I get an E-mail saying they can raise a MAC code, but the request need to come from EurISP. But they gave me a contact number. I ring them, I explain the situtation to them, they pull up my records, and it shows no requests from Biscit for MAC codes for me since Novemeber. I was told the Manager was not in, and they would get him to contact me the next day, however, about 3 hours later, EurISP ring me back, and they need my E-mail address to send me my MAC code.
I updated OFCOM, who was impressed with what I had done, but now was not very happy at all with Biscit, because I had done something that they had`nt been able to.

I would like to thank OFCOM, Consumer Direct, Your Communications Ltd and finialy, but not least, EurISP, for all the advice and help they have given in this matter.

So, this is my recomendation, if you are a V21/Biscit customer, talk to BT Wholesale, and request who has got your Line, then try and contact this company directly to see if they can help with MAC codes. Worked for me.

Thank you for your time.

As I was on @maxsurf I basically went through this procedure on MAC day +1 and was lucky enough to get mine from Your Communications. I since tried again on behalf of someone else and was referred to Eurisp. I suspect it all boils down to them now..
Allan

Promotion
Cheapest Superfast ISPs
  • Hyperoptic £17.99
    Speed 33Mbps, Unlimited
    Gift: Promo code: BIGBANG
  • Shell Energy £20.99
    Speed 35Mbps, Unlimited
    Gift: None
  • NOW £22.00
    Speed 36Mbps, Unlimited
  • Vodafone £22.00
    Speed 38Mbps, Unlimited
  • Plusnet £22.99
    Speed 36Mbps, Unlimited
    Gift: £70 Reward Card
Large Availability | View All
Cheapest Ultrafast ISPs
  • Gigaclear £17.00
    Speed: 200Mbps, Unlimited
  • Community Fibre £17.99
    Speed: 150Mbps, Unlimited
  • Hyperoptic £22.00
    Speed: 158Mbps, Unlimited
    Gift: Promo code: BIGBANG
  • Vodafone £25.00
    Speed: 100Mbps, Unlimited
  • Virgin Media £27.00
    Speed: 108Mbps, Unlimited
Large Availability | View All
Helpful ISP Guides and Tips
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
Promotion
The Top 20 Category Tags
  1. FTTP (4220)
  2. BT (3183)
  3. Politics (2152)
  4. Building Digital UK (2042)
  5. Openreach (1998)
  6. FTTC (1931)
  7. Business (1871)
  8. Mobile Broadband (1632)
  9. Statistics (1525)
  10. 4G (1400)
  11. FTTH (1372)
  12. Virgin Media (1302)
  13. Ofcom Regulation (1252)
  14. Fibre Optic (1247)
  15. Wireless Internet (1246)
  16. Vodafone (940)
  17. 5G (926)
  18. EE (921)
  19. TalkTalk (832)
  20. Sky Broadband (795)
Sponsored

Copyright © 1999 to Present - ISPreview.co.uk - All Rights Reserved - Terms  ,  Privacy and Cookie Policy  ,  Links  ,  Website Rules