Sponsored

Provisioning of MAC's from wholesaler

Kits

ULTIMATE Member
Just a thought . Correct us if we are wrong, but didn't B.T. Wholesale start charging the ISP £35 to a put a cease on a line. 13,5000 x £35 !!
Or did we dream that ,can't find in the ispreview news or forum

Naims.co.uk, well Naims.net until propergation of naims.co.uk main completes

Just think of the payout to the Breathe shareholders had the deal gone through and people went for the £69.99 X13,500 :D then left after a month..

Mel

ULTIMATE Member
Shame really as it would have encouraged the administrator to move things along and get the customers onto another ISP database.

As I understand it BT's justification for the £33 ceasation charge was in bringing the LLU & IPstream systems and charges in line with each other.

At the moment if BT cease ADSL on IPstream they often don't disconnect the equipment from the line, which is why so many E7 and E1 customers were back up and running only a few hours after ordering with an new ISP.

I hope the charge doesn't mean that from May they will actually carry out the work and fully disconnect lines when they are ceased, but £33 seems a lot to tweak a database so your connection is disabled. Otherwise cease- reprovides could start taking a lot longer again.

TheBestPolicy

Just think of the payout to the Breathe shareholders had the deal gone through and people went for the £69.99 X13,500 :D then left after a month..

I don't think many would have gone down that route when they could have chosen to have a free MAC instead.

Kits

ULTIMATE Member
As I understand it BT's justification for the £33 ceasation charge was in bringing the LLU & IPstream systems and charges in line with each other.

At the moment if BT cease ADSL on IPstream they often don't disconnect the equipment from the line, which is why so many E7 and E1 customers were back up and running only a few hours after ordering with an new ISP.

I hope the charge doesn't mean that from May they will actually carry out the work and fully disconnect lines when they are ceased, but £33 seems a lot to tweak a database so your connection is disabled. Otherwise cease- reprovides could start taking a lot longer again.

Sure i read somewhere that BT was falling inline with the LLU operators and all IPstream would be moved to BTs LLU so perhaps by the May date all Internet will be supplied over LLU. Need to try and remember where i read it but read so much over the last month it a tough one sorry....... I am sure someone from an ISP can point me in the right direction. :D

Mel

ULTIMATE Member
I believe lines are also being transfered from BT wholesale to BT Openreach.
I expect BT insist on removing all the wiring for LLU connection when they are ceased to keep the exchanges tidy, so I suspect they'll be bringing Ipstream in line unfortunately :(

There was a adsl cease and provide order on my line just over a month ago, which I assume is openreach taking over the line - it is still a BT IPstream connection though, so seems to be just bookkeeping.

PROVIDE LLU LINE SHARE PSTN 1 £ 0.0 £ 0.0
CEASE (ADSL) BT IPSTREAM HOME 1000 1 £ 0.0 £ 0.0

Mel

ULTIMATE Member
Just a thought . Correct us if we are wrong, but didn't B.T. Wholesale start charging the ISP £35 to a put a cease on a line. 13,5000 x £35 !!
Or did we dream that ,can't find in the ispreview news or forum

Naims.co.uk, well Naims.net until propergation of naims.co.uk main completes

As I recall another ISP that uses Eurisp's wholesale service said that Eurisp charge them about £70 if a connection is cancelled within a year.

Old dude

ULTIMATE Member
Hmmm.

So they are keeping these people online at a cost to them?

How much then, is it costing them?

You have to wonder, even if it does cost them money, why they dont give people MAC codes if they ask for them.

Either:

They are happy about absorbing the costs of keeping people online.

They know something is happening very soon.

They plan on gardenwalling the poor sods (to the wholesaler's benefit).

Any idea how much it costs for them to keep one user online for a month?

Or does that depend on how much they download? There must be a minimum cost?

Kits

ULTIMATE Member
Hmmm.

So they are keeping these people online at a cost to them?

How much then, is it costing them?

You have to wonder, even if it does cost them money, why they dont give people MAC codes if they ask for them.

Either:

They are happy about absorbing the costs of keeping people online.

They know something is happening very soon.

They plan on gardenwalling the poor sods (to the wholesaler's benefit).

From what I have been told to be realistic it would cost around £15 a month that will be wholesale tail + bandwidth + processing of the customer etc.

Mel

ULTIMATE Member

Eurisp are supplied by your communications (thus), don't know what Thus charge on top of BT wholesale's fees.

BT wholesale charge £8.40 (+ vat ) per month for the adsl circuit. However on about 560 of the biggest exchanges they give a discount of £1.10 off that (so they can try to compete with LLU)

An ISP also has to pay for BT centrals (not cheap! - about £1.5 million + vat per year for 622mbps) which if you could use it at 100% of capacity - the bandwidth cost would be something like 70p per gigabyte of data.

In these circumstances you could most likely disregard the bandwidth costs because if they were not supplying them they would probably still be paying for the same amount of capacity and it would be going to waste anyway.

Last edited:

Old dude

ULTIMATE Member
So its safe to assume that it would rack up the same cost (to the wholesaler) of providing a MAC rather fast?

They must know about something happening soon.

Mel

ULTIMATE Member
So its safe to assume that it would rack up the same cost (to the wholesaler) of providing a MAC rather fast?

They must know about something happening soon.

I suppose there could be significant staff costs to provide MAC's via phone, it probably wouldn't be too costly to provide a webpage you could only obtain a mac from by using the connection they are providing to verify your identity.

ziggycat

Pro Member
which if you could use it at 100% of capacity - the bandwidth cost would be something like 70p per gigabyte of data.

My line is glowing white hot at the moment, as it will stay until this is sorted. Just had to order a new 500GB NAS for storage. :laugh:

Mark.J

Administrator
Staff member
ISPreview Team
This appears to have been the first REAL test of Ofcom’s new broadband migration rules and once again customers are being failed. I’m also being told by some users that Ofcom won’t even accept complaints about Biscit, which makes very little sense to me. Sadly it’s tough to get a formal response out of Ofcom, so we can’t clarify.

It is in the nature of business to treat customers as a financial commodity, which I can understand, but at the same time this must be leveraged against the users’ ability to choose and potentially reject when problems arise. Clearly this is not happening and more loop holes have been found to cause everybody further frustration.

Credits to EurISP for keeping the connections alive, but they should not be refusing MAC’s.

jack8

Pro Member
What is the point of Ofcom if when you need them they don't want to know.

How can I get hold of BT Wholesale as I am a Biscit customer and I believe they should now issue MAC codes.

Mel

ULTIMATE Member
Pehaps Ofcom feel whatever deal is in the offing is in the best interests of consumers, so the consumers will just have to lump it.

If I was in this mess unless I was offered a fair one month contract with no exit fee, I'd tell whoever buys it exactly where to shove it, even if it meant a cease and reprovide.

As I mentioned in the other thread BBC's Watchdog is on tonight and I believe they are looking at the results of their broadband poll, so there has never been a better time to complain about an ISP (and/or Ofcom) to Watchdog than right now.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/consumer/tv_and_radio/watchdog/contact_index.shtml

Last edited:

Mel

ULTIMATE Member
What is the point of Ofcom if when you need them they don't want to know.

How can I get hold of BT Wholesale as I am a Biscit customer and I believe they should now issue MAC codes.

You could try the Tag / marker line unless someone has a better contact number http://www.ofcom.org.uk/complain/internet/tagmarker/?itemid=344112

I doubt it will do any good though. I think they should be issuing MACs if the Administrator refuses one. I suppose one option might be to threaten the administrator with legal action, probably a bit extreme though.

I suppose if you are dissatisfied by Ofcomedy's handling of this mess you could complain about them too http://www.ofcom.org.uk/about/accoun/complaints/

Promotion
Cheapest Superfast ISPs
  • Hyperoptic £17.99
    Speed 33Mbps, Unlimited
    Gift: Promo code: BIGBANG
  • Shell Energy £20.99
    Speed 35Mbps, Unlimited
    Gift: None
  • NOW £22.00
    Speed 36Mbps, Unlimited
  • Vodafone £22.00
    Speed 38Mbps, Unlimited
  • Plusnet £22.99
    Speed 36Mbps, Unlimited
    Gift: £70 Reward Card
Large Availability | View All
Cheapest Ultrafast ISPs
  • Gigaclear £17.00
    Speed: 200Mbps, Unlimited
  • Community Fibre £17.99
    Speed: 150Mbps, Unlimited
  • Hyperoptic £22.00
    Speed: 158Mbps, Unlimited
    Gift: Promo code: BIGBANG
  • Vodafone £25.00
    Speed: 100Mbps, Unlimited
  • Virgin Media £27.00
    Speed: 108Mbps, Unlimited
Large Availability | View All
Helpful ISP Guides and Tips
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
Promotion
The Top 20 Category Tags
  1. FTTP (4220)
  2. BT (3183)
  3. Politics (2152)
  4. Building Digital UK (2042)
  5. Openreach (1998)
  6. FTTC (1931)
  7. Business (1871)
  8. Mobile Broadband (1632)
  9. Statistics (1525)
  10. 4G (1400)
  11. FTTH (1372)
  12. Virgin Media (1302)
  13. Ofcom Regulation (1252)
  14. Fibre Optic (1247)
  15. Wireless Internet (1246)
  16. Vodafone (940)
  17. 5G (926)
  18. EE (921)
  19. TalkTalk (832)
  20. Sky Broadband (795)
Sponsored

Copyright © 1999 to Present - ISPreview.co.uk - All Rights Reserved - Terms  ,  Privacy and Cookie Policy  ,  Links  ,  Website Rules