Sponsored Links

Query about fibre possibilities

carterbrandon

Casual Member
I'm looking for some advice on getting a better broadband service. I'm hoping that if I provide some background info, someone knowledgeable about how the fibre network is progressing, could give me some advice.

I'm currently with Plusnet's ADSL service, which is all they say is available to me from them. The download speed is about as good as that gets (20mbps), as I am close to the exchange, and to be honest the download speed wouldn't have to be hugely faster in the short term to keep me happy. It's the upload of 1mbps that isn't great. I have a Ring doorbell that wants at least 2mbps, and every couple of weeks need to upload video which takes forever. Going to the 10mbps which seems to be normal for fibre would be a huge help.

I have always assumed that being close to an exchange, my street would be low priority for fibre, but I've noticed a lot of Openreach activity, and that every telephone pole now has a new little black dome with 'fibre' on it. So I found the attached status page.

Someone I don't entirely trust, said this about it:
  • It demonstrates that fibre to the premises is now available to me, but it commands premium pricing, and I would need to approach one of a handful of ISPs prepared to sell it to me (not Plusnet).
  • Because fibre to the premises is available, cheaper / slower (but acceptable to me) fibre to the cabinet will now never be available, from Plusnet or anyone else.
As I have a nice ADSL/VDSL router set up how I like, I was wondering whether there is any hope of the Openreach network providing something better than ADSL for less than £35 a month in the mid-term, or should I abandon it as a lost cause (until FTTP stops being premium) and just go to Virgin now.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2019-09-22 at 11.11.09 - Edited.png
    Screenshot 2019-09-22 at 11.11.09 - Edited.png
    102.3 KB · Views: 297
Thank you for that, your option 2 looks very suitable for when my Plusnet broadband contract ends later this year, as it fits the bill and is comparable in terms of cost, but I'd have to have a think about the landline phone aspect, as I'm not sure I'm quite ready to move to mobile-only yet.

Sponsored Links
Thank you for that, your option 2 looks very suitable for when my Plusnet broadband contract ends later this year, as it fits the bill and is comparable in terms of cost, but I'd have to have a think about the landline phone aspect, as I'm not sure I'm quite ready to move to mobile-only yet.

Generally most people if they are interested in a landline type service are opting for VoIP solutions, which is where Openreach will be moving everything to once WLR solutions become End of Life the coming few years.

With Boris and then BT committing to removal of copper lines in the next few year, switching to VOIP or mobile is going to happen sooner or later.
You might as well do it now, rather than get forced at a later date.

How often do you use your landline for calls?

If you have a good reception and have a mobile you might as well switch now, I know we haven't used our landline for over 3 years as we use mobiles with unlimited minutes and don't miss the landline at all

I'd have to have a think about the landline phone aspect, as I'm not sure I'm quite ready to move to mobile-only yet.
When I moved from Plusnet VDSL to FTTP I ported my number to sipgate who are a VOIP provider - there was a £30 charge but there are no monthly line rental charges - you can either just pay as you go from 1p per minute or pay for one of their monthly unlimited call packages.

I then bought a cheap CISCO SPA122 adapter which allowed me to connect my existing BT DECT phones to the router. They work just the same as when I was on copper VDSL.

Sponsored Links
Cheap BIG ISPs for 100Mbps+
Community Fibre UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
Gift: None
Virgin Media UK ISP Logo
Virgin Media £24.00
132Mbps
Shell Energy UK ISP Logo
Shell Energy £26.99
109Mbps
Plusnet UK ISP Logo
Plusnet £27.99
145Mbps
Zen Internet UK ISP Logo
Zen Internet £28.00 - 35.00
100Mbps
Large Availability | View All
Cheapest ISPs for 100Mbps+
Gigaclear UK ISP Logo
Gigaclear £15.00
150Mbps
YouFibre UK ISP Logo
YouFibre £19.99
150Mbps
Community Fibre UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
BeFibre UK ISP Logo
BeFibre £21.00
150Mbps
Gift: £25 Love2Shop Card
Hey! Broadband UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
Large Availability | View All

Helpful ISP Guides and Tips

Sponsored Links
The Top 15 Category Tags
  1. FTTP (5473)
  2. BT (3505)
  3. Politics (2525)
  4. Openreach (2291)
  5. Business (2251)
  6. Building Digital UK (2234)
  7. FTTC (2041)
  8. Mobile Broadband (1961)
  9. Statistics (1780)
  10. 4G (1654)
  11. Virgin Media (1608)
  12. Ofcom Regulation (1451)
  13. Fibre Optic (1392)
  14. Wireless Internet (1386)
  15. FTTH (1381)
Sponsored

Copyright © 1999 to Present - ISPreview.co.uk - All Rights Reserved - Terms  ,  Privacy and Cookie Policy  ,  Links  ,  Website Rules