Sponsored Links

Question for Three Home-Fi Users

Considering the above as we live in an area of 3 bars of 4G signal on 3 network. The 100gb for £30/month is available in our area.

The "Go Binge" is appealing for this package - where Netflix / Apple Music don't come out of the 100GB.

However, for those using it on Smart TVs etc, what quality do you receive? Three's website is extremely vague - it used to specifically say that Netflix etc was "standard definition only" but now states "In addition selected services may only be available in Standard Definition. Service speed may be managed to ensure a quality experience for all our customers."

I've heard anecdotal stories online of people quite happily streaming 4K netflix and it not coming out of their 100gb.

Anyone have any thoughts / experiences?

Thanks in advance!

I suspect it may depend upon the ability or inability of Three's system to identify the type of stream or stream source, which would be easy enough on a Smartphone but if you're viewing via a Smart TV than that may create some issues. I think one obvious problem here is the question of whether you are planning to view on the TV by 'casting' your mobile screen over WiFi or are you using an app on the TV itself?

If you're using an app on the TV then Three UK might identify that as Tethering, assuming it would work at all given the possible problems with CGNAT that you might encounter. Go Binge doesn't support Tethering, so on the 100GB plan they'd suck the data from an even smaller 'Personal Hotspot' allowance of 30GB.

On the other hand if you use the Netflix app on your phone and then 'Cast' it to your TV via WiFi (assuming the TV supports this or you have a streaming box that supports it) then I imagine that would get around the Tethering issue. Sadly I've not tried 4K in the way you're proposing so I'm not sure if it works, although at launch Three clearly didn't support it.

Thanks Mark. I’m looking at the homefi contract, as in a home broadband replacement (although going to keep Plusnet/BT 1.5mb connection as a fallback or for kids to use or for non-important Update.)

So therefore no need to worry about tethering - I’ll be connecting Netflix via smart tv itself wirelessly.

I’ll give it a whirl, still have 14days to return.

Thanks !

I suspect it may depend upon the ability or inability of Three's system to identify the type of stream or stream source, which would be easy enough on a Smartphone but if you're viewing via a Smart TV than that may create some issues. I think one obvious problem here is the question of whether you are planning to view on the TV by 'casting' your mobile screen over WiFi or are you using an app on the TV itself?

If you're using an app on the TV then Three UK might identify that as Tethering, assuming it would work at all given the possible problems with CGNAT that you might encounter. Go Binge doesn't support Tethering, so on the 100GB plan they'd suck the data from an even smaller 'Personal Hotspot' allowance of 30GB.

On the other hand if you use the Netflix app on your phone and then 'Cast' it to your TV via WiFi (assuming the TV supports this or you have a streaming box that supports it) then I imagine that would get around the Tethering issue. Sadly I've not tried 4K in the way you're proposing so I'm not sure if it works, although at launch Three clearly didn't support it.

Sponsored Links
Let us know how you get on as I'm curious to know what sort of quality you get from the streaming on that setup and if it does take anything from your allowance when using 4K or even HD.

Update

Let us know how you get on as I'm curious to know what sort of quality you get from the streaming on that setup and if it does take anything from your allowance when using 4K or even HD.

Just a quick update. I've had this in for a couple of days to test. Consistently getting 15-30meg speeds - I've tested this via wifi but not wired as of yet. Apart from a couple of hiccups, been working reasonably well.

A bill will be generated in 4 days so will get to see the breakdown of data usage. Points to note:

- This speed works absolutely fine for Netflix in 4K. I'll post a few pics, but Altered Carbon was playing happily with no buffering at 2160p. The stream starts at 480p, then moves to 720, 1080 and 2160 over the space of ten seconds. Looked great too. Dependent on the programme, a few different speeds were showing. The Punisher was rendering a 4k stream with an 8mb-ish bitstream of data.

- I am unsure as of yet what is being taken out of Go Binge and what out of my usual data. The Three data allowance checker shows that i have used 1.7gb of data in last few days. However, i would say most of this was made up of speed tests and light browsing, a few app downloads etc. Looking at the router stats, it has recorded 9gb of usage (up and down) which maybe accounts for me testing netflix streams. Im gonna watch a few episodes of 4K Netflix tonight to see if the allowance reduces by anything serious. If not, then I feel that all brands of netflix streaming are included! The Three website is maybe intentionally vague on the netflix streaming...

I'll be back with an update next week...

Quick update - first bill generated after 5 days.

Total internet usage of 35Gb in those 5 days.

Normal internet data usage: 5.5GB
Go Binge Data Usage: 29.5GB

Apart from me watching a couple of episodes of Black Mirror on the iPad and testing 4K Streams, it’s mostly the kids been using that for a few 1080p films on Smart TVetc, so would envisage this will go even higher when me and the missus start burning through it.

So, pretty much looks like *any* Netflix usage is included in Go Binge!!! For me at least!

Nice! Mobile broadband suddenly becomes even more attractive for home use :) . Good to get some confirmation, thanks.

Sponsored Links
Nice! Mobile broadband suddenly becomes even more attractive for home use :) . Good to get some confirmation, thanks.

It will be interesting to see if THREE change their T&C's and restrict 4K data streams if this becomes widely known.

I have been using this for a couple of months now, getting 80M down 30M up compared with 2M ADSL and no fibre possible.

My last month usage was 100GB normal 65.5GB Netflix

I've stopped using the 4K streams as they are so compressed I find the 1080P streams look better upscaled.

I have been using this for a couple of months now, getting 80M down 30M up compared with 2M ADSL and no fibre possible.

My last month usage was 100GB normal 65.5GB Netflix

I've stopped using the 4K streams as they are so compressed I find the 1080P streams look better upscaled.

I'm intrigued to know how users have split the normal usage to that of the Go Binge. Also, how have you used 100GB if the cap is 40GB? Please advise, as higher packages could make for a viable alternative for me.

I'm intrigued to know how users have split the normal usage to that of the Go Binge. Also, how have you used 100GB if the cap is 40GB? Please advise, as higher packages could make for a viable alternative for me.

The cap on the package is 100GB. You can only get this through ringing up or instore (postcode dependent)

My last full month:

Normal Browsing/Streaming/Downloding: 62GB

Go Binge: 186GB

Total: 248GB.

Sponsored Links
it depends three's system it isnt 100% accurate sometimes it comes out of my allowance sometimes not

now i moved to voxi (got 6 month free video and music pass) and use that in the homefi (B310)

Speed is much better on voda here too
7325994807.png

This is a very interesting & inexpensive alternative to standard ISPs.
I have a few queries that current users may like to respond to please.It's all pretty obvious stuff, but I'm not really up to speed with mobile/SIM tech.
  1. Is there a network password assigned to each unit?
  2. I see that Cat4 cables are recommended. Does this mean that Cat7s are incompatible?
  3. Are network extenders/hubs OK to use with his unit?
  4. Would a new user have to change their mobile provider to 3 (I'm very content on Tesco pay as you go who use 02 network)?

I used Three HomeFi for a year on the £30 for 100Gb deal. That is now effectively obsolete, as you can get an AYCE SIM for less. It is a phone SIM, so comes with unlimited minutes, unlimited texts, and unlimited data. I pay £20pm, but other people pay different amounts depending on just what the deal was when they signed up. Three don't care if you use it in a router.
You don't need any other Three accounts, so you can continue to use your existing mobile provider for phone.
Personally, I'd recommend buying a 4G router of your choice (I use an externally mounted MikroTik SXT LTE Kit), and get the AYCE SIM at the best price you can negotiate. If you holiday abroad, you could take it with you as it includes overseas data in lots of countries.
BTW there is no configuration needed - just put the SIM in a device and you are in business within a few minutes.

Cheap BIG ISPs for 100Mbps+
Community Fibre UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
Gift: None
Virgin Media UK ISP Logo
Virgin Media £24.00
132Mbps
Shell Energy UK ISP Logo
Shell Energy £26.99
109Mbps
Plusnet UK ISP Logo
Plusnet £27.99
145Mbps
Zen Internet UK ISP Logo
Zen Internet £28.00 - 35.00
100Mbps
Large Availability | View All
Cheapest ISPs for 100Mbps+
Gigaclear UK ISP Logo
Gigaclear £15.00
150Mbps
YouFibre UK ISP Logo
YouFibre £19.99
150Mbps
Community Fibre UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
BeFibre UK ISP Logo
BeFibre £21.00
150Mbps
Gift: £25 Love2Shop Card
Hey! Broadband UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
Large Availability | View All
Sponsored Links
The Top 15 Category Tags
  1. FTTP (5472)
  2. BT (3505)
  3. Politics (2524)
  4. Openreach (2291)
  5. Business (2251)
  6. Building Digital UK (2234)
  7. FTTC (2041)
  8. Mobile Broadband (1961)
  9. Statistics (1778)
  10. 4G (1654)
  11. Virgin Media (1608)
  12. Ofcom Regulation (1451)
  13. Fibre Optic (1392)
  14. Wireless Internet (1386)
  15. FTTH (1381)
Sponsored

Copyright © 1999 to Present - ISPreview.co.uk - All Rights Reserved - Terms  ,  Privacy and Cookie Policy  ,  Links  ,  Website Rules