Sponsored

Questions before joining BT Infinity

bigboss50

Casual Member
I'm thinking of joining the BT Infinity 40Mb Unlimited package, I've read the stories about 300Gb usage and I'm now unsure whether or not I should go with it. I use the internet mainly for browsing, watching HD videos a lot, P2P occasionally for <5Gb files, play on two xboxes, download a lot of games off Steam. What I wanted to know is would 300Gb be enough for me, I'm currently with Virgin and I'm not sure if they have a limit but I've never hit it anyway. Also heres the stats I managed to get from my Dir-615 router if they help or would Virgin be able to tell me my monthly usage if I call them up.

Code:
 	     Receive	        Transmit
Internet     3229917            1996090 
LAN          2037771            3238773
WIRELESS     1617180            2443529
11n

butler

ULTIMATE Member
Advertised as unlimited hmmm hmmm

from bt's website ..fair usage restrictions !!

"B. Network Management
4. What is BT's Traffic Management Policy?

BT continuously monitors network performance and reduces the speed available to very heavy users (typically less than 1 per cent of all customers) during a given month to ensure that the service received by other customers is not impacted through extremely heavy usage by a minority of people.

Customers who are classified as very heavy users will experience significantly reduced speed at peak times (typically 5pm-midnight every day but these times may change depending on the demand on the network) for a period of 30 days, or for as long as very heavy use continues. This applies to customers on all Options.

BT Total Broadband Option 3 and BT Infinity Option 2 allow unlimited downloads and uploads within the monthly rental price, so customers on these products will not be charged for over-use. However, this does not preclude BT from reducing your speed if you are a heavy user in order to protect the experience for the rest of our customers.

We may need to vary the policy from time to time to ensure the best possible experience for all our customers. This site will always be kept up to date with the latest information.

5. What is BT's policy on Peer-to-Peer (P2P) applications?

P2P refers to certain applications that enable files and program sharing between groups of people logged on to a P2P network. Because they use uploads and downloads and are often left running 24/7, they consume significant bandwidth, even when being used by just a small number of customers.

Because a lot of P2P traffic is not time-critical, e.g., downloading and uploading TV programmes or movies for later viewing, we treat P2P traffic differently from time-critical traffic (such as surfing, streaming or internet telephony) and apply speed restrictions to all P2P traffic. We manage these restrictions daily based on the demands on the network, but downstream restrictions will typically be in place 4pm - midnight on weekdays and 9am - midnight on the weekend. Upstream restrictions may be in place at other times.

You can, of course, still use P2P services, but downloads will take longer during the peak times.

6. What is BT's policy on video streaming?

We do not currently impose any restrictions that affect the viewing quality of video services such as BBC iPlayer or Catch Up on Channel4.com or ITV.com."

I wonder if the unrestricted relating tobbc iplayer includes downloading to watch later as this uses p2p!

These restrictions are not openly displayed (unlike virgin) and as they say are up for change at any time...given that this is an eighteen month contract I would be very very very careful before I signed up!!

bigboss50

Casual Member
Do you know what the speed goes down to after you hit the limit or is it a random number?

Last edited:

Mark.J

Administrator
Staff member
ISPreview Team
Hi Bigboss,

If you're already on Virgin's cable platform, which has an array of faster and more flexible broadband options available, then I frankly would not take the risk of swapping to BT. I don't know what package you have now but swapping to BT is also likely to cost you since the two platforms are not compatible and as a result you may need a new phone line.

Ironically you might have better luck trying to coax a cheaper deal out of Virgin Media or simply upgrading your package onto one of the newer ones.

bigboss50

Casual Member
Thanks for the advice I think I will go Virgin but only broadband I'm not sure if they give good retention deals for just broadband without line or anything else but I'm going to try.

butler

ULTIMATE Member
bigboss

I ended up with a VM phoneline (that i have never used) as it is cheaper to get their bb with it than without!! dont ask me why and the person at the other end of the phone line could explain either !!!!

Oddly enough I am more than happy with bt for phone but would not touch with the proverbial bargepole for anything else lol

I am moving to the 50mb BB from virgin the weekend after next, getting free install and activation and only tied to a 1 month contract as not changing any other services.

Mark.J

Administrator
Staff member
ISPreview Team
It's all about voice calls butler, Virgin wants you to make calls so it prices the standalone solution far higher to encourage adoption of its voice line service too (also looks good on their financials). Of course a crafty user will just get the bundle and never bother to make any calls :) .

bigboss50

Casual Member
It's all about voice calls butler, Virgin wants you to make calls so it prices the standalone solution far higher to encourage adoption of its voice line service too (also looks good on their financials). Of course a crafty user will just get the bundle and never bother to make any calls :) .
Yes, shame I never researched before joining Virgin but I won't make the same mistake. Over the last 12 months I've been stung in the butt by Virgins phone tariff and I've just been offered by them: M TV with free HD box (don't watch a lot of tv, it'll do), 50Mb BB with their new router free and unlimited calls plan and 250 mins free on 0870 and 0845 numbers all for £34 a month. Now I don't want those nasty call charges I was hit with last time. So are there going to be any if all my calls are in the UK and last less than 60 mins?

butler

ULTIMATE Member
read the small print lol

I am on the anytime bt phones option and have previously been stung by cable for telephone calls and then cut off when they cashed my cheque but did not credit it to my account I know it was over ten years ago but I am a bit like an old elephant !!

Virgin tv works well though the sky menu is far better and the ability to record two progs whilst watching another or a taped ( yeah I know it is not a tape, but my hoover aint made by hoover either lol)

and the broadband has been faultless apart from a 4 possible 4 outages since 2003

I call my daughter in Thailand regularly and there is never an issue using cheap redail services for 1p per min, but I would not feel so confident about cable (mind you bt is nearly £1 per min to a thai mobile)

I also do not want all of my eggs in one basket...if VM goes t*ts up then I can sort out adsl without experiencing any down time.

Good luck

Andy

Promotion
Cheapest Superfast ISPs
  • Hyperoptic £20.00 (*22.00)
    Avg. Speed 50Mbps, Unlimited
    Gift: None
  • Vodafone £22.00
    Avg. Speed 35Mbps, Unlimited
  • TalkTalk £22.45 (*36.00)
    Avg. Speed 38Mbps, Unlimited
  • Post Office £22.90 (*37.00)
    Avg. Speed 38Mbps, Unlimited
  • Direct Save Telecom £22.95 (*29.95)
    Avg. Speed 35Mbps, Unlimited
Prices inc. Line Rental | View All
Helpful ISP Guides and Tips
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
Promotion
The Top 20 Category Tags
  1. BT (2512)
  2. FTTP (2205)
  3. FTTC (1659)
  4. Building Digital UK (1607)
  5. Politics (1428)
  6. Openreach (1419)
  7. Business (1239)
  8. Statistics (1100)
  9. FTTH (1076)
  10. Mobile Broadband (1039)
  11. Fibre Optic (969)
  12. Ofcom Regulation (916)
  13. Wireless Internet (909)
  14. 4G (900)
  15. Virgin Media (857)
  16. Sky Broadband (596)
  17. EE (592)
  18. TalkTalk (580)
  19. Vodafone (518)
  20. Security (413)
Sponsored

Copyright © 1999 to Present - ISPreview.co.uk - All Rights Reserved - Terms  ,  Privacy and Cookie Policy  ,  Links  ,  Website Rules